Autopsy Round 4, 2023: Hawks go home at half time v Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong was playong so badly in the first half I was actually wondering if they really are tanking. No real effort, no running to create space. Second half a completely different story. Shows how far off we are. We've had three heavy losses and a win (against a depleted North). There were some good signs from some players. Day was great again and I am liking Meek. Think he looks like he belongs at this level. On a negative note, I suspect some of the players we have been thinking are good may not cut it. This will become clearer during the course of the year.

Great first half that showed a lot of signs.

Our inability to stop a run on is a concern.

Our inability to remain clean was also frustrating.
Worries about Jai's start to the year

Anyone suggesting Jaeger O’Meara would’ve helped our cause today needs to look at how much he helped the Dockers on the weekend.

First half was a great watch. A fair way of putting 4 qtrs together. Not sure what could’ve been done in the coaches box to stem the flow
He didn't help us stop run ons last year.

I get the supply issues into D50.

But our D lines showed no resilience in that 3rd. Just too easy for the Puss.
Defence has been like this since the praccy matches. Sicily cant be matching up on the oppo's main forward, he needs to zone off. Hell, he wants to zone off and that gets him in trouble today v Cameron. Blanck or DGB need to play each week. An extra tall allows the defence to match up better as well since Sicily is really a hybrid.

Typical young rebuild side vs old experienced side game .

First half was fantastic and a bit of a window of what might be to come consistently in 30-40 games .
Left chances on the table then unfortunately got predictable spanked . Lewis there and we probably head in 4 goals up.

Lost structure after that and couldnt arrest the side . Need anlther pre season or two to get that down pat.

Tough learn for players and coaches but it will happen with our profile.

That was nothing but a sugar hit for the cats . Saw there reserves and they have zero coming through .
We probably will be a chance to return the favour to them in 24 months if people have the patience

Thought Will Day was pretty good. Looked like the team was probably spent at half time. Pretty worrying they couldnt stop the bleeding, i lay it down squarely on the mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Good news :

Ned long was terrific in the twos. He is a very big upgrade on Nash. Knows how to play midfield and a good all round game. He comes in next week.

Copper Stephens was very good. He’s several levels above Finn and comes in next week.

Sam Butler dominated in the twos kicked 4 goals and comes in next week.

Good first half - the worst second half I’ve seen in 30 years.

Ward - well done kid, you fought it out.
Day - excellent all game. Not sure why we took him away from the middle at the start of the third.

We will be Okay moving forward. The cats are still a good side with very very experienced players everywhere on the ground and their experience and hardness showed today.
We were fantastic in the first half, running in waves, hard at the footy and some nice skills to go with that.
Desperately need a focal point up forward so looking forward to Lewis return, need a gorilla down back unfortunately I don’t believe Blanck is the answer for us and surely we end up with Harley Reid. His performances at Under 18 level are absolutely incredible and he would be the cream on top of this midfield which is tracking quite nicely.
Special shout out to Will Day. Thanks for showing your commitment to what we are trying to build and a super game today. The man has future captain written all over him.

Stay staunch ladies and gentlemen and enjoy the ride.

Good start in the first half and plenty of positive signs, but the second half was as poor as I’ve ever seen from us. Yes we’re young but we desperately need our leaders to stand up when that happens and we really had very little.

Positive signs were Will Day - bloody star. And dare I say, Meek showed me what he might be capable of. Not much else.

I do think Mitchell needs to have some sort of plan B when the opposition get a run on. We started losing every contest but kept playing loose, unaccountable footy.
We probably do . It just needs more games and another pre season or two to get in synch

Thought Meek did really well today. Unlucky not to be paid two contested marks (one touched off the boot and another the umps decided to make something up).

Loved his aggression today.

I said it in the match day but man Jeremy Cameron is the best player in the comp for me. He's so ****ing impactful. Made Sicily's life hell. Without him we're probably up by 5-6 goals at half time and it's a completely different game. You can see how much we miss Mitch Lewis. Gotta keep looking for that 2nd forward because Greene is very clearly a 3rd option and Kosi is struggling

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 4, 2023: Hawks go home at half time v Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back