Autopsy Round 4, 2023: Hawks go home at half time v Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible umpiring. How is it that The Handbags continue to scrag, hold, drop and throw the ball with impunity? The umpires are an embarrassment, and the AFL not only allows it, they encourage it.

Appalling third quarter in every sense. No adjustment to respond to their centre square set-up and complete dominance. The 3rd quarter was the worst centre square performance I can remember in 30 years.

Bad midfield coaching. It's one thing to throw the kids in the deep end. It's another to allow 15? unanswered goals directly from the stoppages even allowing for every lucky bounce and shocking umpiring decision that went the Scats way.

That performing clown Coach Killer looked more reasonable with every uncontensted centre clearance.

Oh, and Wingard is a f****** goddamned liability. Waste of space. If Sam is true to his word about blooding the youth, Wingard shouldn't play again.

First half - I thought we were brillant the midfield group won the clearances 2-1 and the pressure around the ground was high! The skills were on show.

Second half - Deplorable! No answer in the middle and turned into a bunch of witches hats around the ground. The second time I have turned the TV off. It's a worry if the pattern continues.
We must remain watchable or no one is safe.

Positives- Day,Amon,Ward.

Negatives
-9 goals, 19 marks two key forwards combined in the wet!
- Two rucks combined influence.
-Midfield rotation.

Last edited:

It's the elephant in the room that Sam and co need to resolve. The third quarter and the second half this season have been awful. There's no sugar coating it. Yes, it's a young team, but at the end of the day, some pride in your personal performance should take effect, both from the players and the coaches.

Geez, that is a real concern. I don’t think I have ever seen a worse stat. What is going on at half time.

Geelong was playong so badly in the first half I was actually wondering if they really are tanking. No real effort, no running to create space. Second half a completely different story. Shows how far off we are. We've had three heavy losses and a win (against a depleted North). There were some good signs from some players. Day was great again and I am liking Meek. Think he looks like he belongs at this level. On a negative note, I suspect some of the players we have been thinking are good may not cut it. This will become clearer during the course of the year.

Make no mistake, Geelong are only a Jeremy Cameron away from being a very middling side. Hawkins, Smith and Danger are good but ageing and Tom Stewart is a dirty prick but also very good … but take Cameron out of that side and there’s still a whole lot of ordinary.

No excuse to get run over like that, inexperience or no.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's the elephant in the room that Sam and co need to resolve. The third quarter and the second half this season have been awful. There's no sugar coating it. Yes, it's a young team, but at the end of the day, some pride in your personal performance should take effect, both from the players and the coaches.

That's beyond bad. Utterly soul-destroying numbers.

Worst qtr of footy I've ever seen us play.

Absolutely *ing spineless!

16 shots for 22 inside 50s is the equivalent of going to water pretty shocking.

Worst part for mine was how quickly we dropped our heads when the umpiring didn’t go our way, I know we are a young side but that has alarm bells ringing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1655769

3 marks in 4 games is unacceptable for a guy that's 210cm. But hey he wins tapouts that a plus even if he offers nothing else 👍
The 2 ruckmen is not working we can nor persist with it and Finn can only play if he is tagging

The sample size is big enough now

I think the problem we have is...saying 'we went home at half time', or the 'first half is how we want to play', ignore the fact the Cats were off it in the first quarter, and then the 2nd quarter weather made us look 'in it'. As soon as the Cats woke up and conditions improved...we got annihilated.

So where now? The only changes we can make are to switch out some youth, for more youth. Obviously, years of really hard work ahead of us as the lads grow up (physically, mentally, and as a team). Extremely disappointed in the third quarter. It's not the first time we've seen it; but certainly the worst.

But oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound.
The curious thing for me in this is does anyone here really think O’Meara, Mitchell or Gunston would have stopped that today, especially seeing how Gunners and O’Meara have been performing at their new sides? We still did reasonably in terms of clearances and contested possessions (well better than a 13 goal loss would suggest but obviously taken over the second half alone the numbers will be pretty dire you’d think) but out one percenters are way off - it’s like they just get deer in the headlights syndrome and almost become paralysed.

What exactly is the reason behind limiting Newcombe’s time as a midfielder? I don’t like him in this role as a half forward.
Mitchell is rotating all our mids through. With Day, Jai, Worps, Nash, Frenchie and Ward all getting good time in the middle.

That way each mid should be ripe to go when they are in the middle and we wear the opposition down with a massive amount of mids.

What it will lead to is individual mids having lower possession tallies but as a team performing much better

16 shots for 22 inside 50s is the equivalent of going to water pretty shocking.
So many were from Geelong players in a 5m pocket of space. Sometimes you just have to be next to your opponent

I was mentally prepared for us to be a bad side this season, but we have been even worse than I imagined.

Getting ground down by better and classier teams is to be expected for where we are at. But getting absolutely obliterated three out of our four games is simply unacceptable. Mitchell and his team have a whole lot of work to do.

That’s not just bad, that a historically bad stat!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 4, 2023: Hawks go home at half time v Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back