Autopsy Round 4, 2023: Hawks go home at half time v Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitchell is rotating all our mids through. With Day, Jai, Worps, Nash, Frenchie and Ward all getting good time in the middle.

That way each mid should be ripe to go when they are in the middle and we wear the opposition down with a massive amount of mids.

What it will lead to is individual mids having lower possession tallies but as a team performing much better
You could totally tell when Will got taken off ball in the third. We didn't go anywhere near it for 10-15 minutes and the game was goneski.

I thought Day, Ward and Bruest were all good/ok. CJ good in the first half.

Macginnes just doesn’t offer enough but wasn’t alone today. Macdonald also struggling, both need a spell at Box Hill IMO.

Impey's best game in a long time.

Dimmas worst game in my memory.

Only watched the first half and thought Impey was our worst 🤷‍♂️ whether it was defensive efforts, poor disposals or fumbles, everything just seemed poor. Struggling imo.

Also seeing some love for Wards game but first half was no go for mine… needs more awareness. Too slow to dispose of the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Some of the comments in this thread are pretty dumb. When judging a young side, you look for the upside and flashes they show, and our midfield has a huge amount for what we are seeing. There are many pieces in our side, and if we can get Lewis back on, develop Ramsden, and look for the some key position depth over the next few years, there is something seriously building in our team.

It is obviously pretty hard without a key forward or two... we were completely dominant at times, but could barely scratch goals together, and had to work so hard for them. Geelong on the other hand with their forwards could put pressure on every time they entered. I was concerned about that, and that they would run over us, but didn't think it would be to that extent. Shame as the first half was really enjoyable seeing us try to take it up to Geelong. The rain coming really didn't help as well, as they could scrap us, and the umps weren't paying that slight hold or holding the ball, so they just wore us out and could hold on for that fraction of a second, and stop us running. They then just completely overwhelmed us, and we couldn't stop it.

Hugely impressive first half, unbelievably disappointing and deflating second half. We dust ourselves off, reflect on the good things, go over what happened, and move on to next week.

I wouldn't stress and just trust the club and the process. You can see our strengths when we have momentum. Keeping and and wrestling it back are our big areas of improvement, along with finishing.

You can see in a few years when it starts to click for the group we will be able to have a big surge up the ladder. You can see we have talent just like you could see it with Brisbane and Sydney when they were bottom 4.

1 year 2 or 3 who knows we need to be patient, with games and experience the cohesion will come.

Reeves didn't even touch the ball after half time. That's laughably bad. He had three whole touches for the game.

Hopefully Mitchell is true to his word about not gifting games and rewards Lynch for his BOG performance at Box Hill.

Finn will probably need to be dropped too. Maybe Nash as well, though I'm not too sure.

I just hope we played good footy in the 1st half and it wasn't Geelong playing poorly as they did with Gold Coast. Our biggest problem today was Cameron. Once he started kicking goals and then the others followed suit.

It's the elephant in the room that Sam and co need to resolve. The third quarter and the second half this season have been awful. There's no sugar coating it. Yes, it's a young team, but at the end of the day, some pride in your personal performance should take effect, both from the players and the coaches.

Horrendous stat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could totally tell when Will got taken off ball in the third. We didn't go anywhere near it for 10-15 minutes and the game was goneski.
This will be some of the pain that we will go through. As our mids get rotated through. But as the gaps between our best and worst decrease, rotating players out will be a strength rather than a weakness.

I reckon 3-4 goals we let go begging in the 2nd quarter were telling and could've broken their will. This feels like 2 steps forward 3 steps back (or maybe 10 steps back)

There were some shots on goal in the second quarter that really should have been converted. Brockman in particular had what should be a relatively straightforward shot at goal, as well as teammate closer to the goal, that he managed to miss to the near side. Mackenzie doesn't have a set shot routine at present and his attempt at goal from the set shot was no bueno. He could also have kicked a goal from a crumb in the second quarter. Geelong then kicked the final three goals of the term to take the momentum with them into half-time, and that was all she wrote. Instead of being only one point up, Hawthorn conceivably could have been four or five goals ahead at half-time, and the pressure really would have been on Geelong to answer their critics.

View attachment 1655769

3 marks in 4 games is unacceptable for a guy that's 210cm. But hey he wins tapouts that a plus even if he offers nothing else 👍
People who look to single out the tallest player on the ground in the wettest game we’ve played.

Mindnumbing.

Incredibly disappointing after half time. Can see why though after how intense our pressure was in the first half. Kick a few of those missed shots and could’ve been a different story.
I can see a couple of blokes getting dropped. Hopefully Day has nothing to answer for and plays next week.

Reeves didn't even touch the ball after half time. That's laughably bad. He had three whole touches for the game.

Hopefully Mitchell is true to his word about not gifting games and rewards Lynch for his BOG performance at Box Hill.

Finn will probably need to be dropped too. Maybe Nash as well, though I'm not too sure.
He won 58% of his hitouts and was a big reason why we dominated the clearances in the first half. He's not being dropped.

Finn and Nash are big, strong negators who sadly don't hurt by hand or foot. Perhaps Weddle and Long. Ned might also need a rest and DGB must get a chance, with a warning that he cuts out the stupid things. The team is screaming out for a big forward but Kozzi is not the answer. He's way down on confidence. Ramsden's not ready.

tumblr_lnokob0yxg1qbcheyo1_500.gif

While the second half was painful to sit through, I still remember when Hawthorn went to Football Park in 2005 and got hammered by 100+ points by Port Adelaide. I pretty much got hammered each time I went to the football in 2004 in Schwab's last season as coach because that was the only way I could get through the game sometimes given the insipid nature of the football Hawthorn played that season (don't confuse this as advocating for excess drinking now - at my age, I have basically given up alcohol except on very rare occasions). Things were looking up only three years later.

The game goes in cycles, and it's worth remembering before you jump off the deep end, that the foundations are being laid for our next premiership tilt.

I thought Nash was one of our best. You don't see it that clearly on TV but his work at the contest creating space for the others was one of the reasons we were so dominant in the centre in the first half.
Danger went to him more often from then onwards and did a great job at negating some of that influence.

I was a bit worried about worps though he didn't have the same influence off the ball and was just as fumbly as the kids when it was hot or taking a tackle. Imo He really needs to be an elite first touch player if he wants to make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 4, 2023: Hawks go home at half time v Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back