Review Round 4, 2023 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of positives here.
Players kept there composure in the second qtr.Worst umpiring since our Richmond Preliminary loss.
Players didn't give up.Sydney look deadly when they run the footy,from back through the midfield.
Some of a lesser known players had solid contributions.
As mentioned before.Mckenzie+Allir work really well together.Might of fixed our defense.
Carr in the box and Ken on the bench.Worked quiet well.
Lucky win in the end.But amazing character shown by players after two terrible performances.

Longmire blaming two free kick goals for changing the momentum at the end. 32 to 22 free kicks their way. The non-goal to Mead. The 50m to Blakey. Carn mate.
****ing hell that’s a terrible take by Longmire.

We should’ve had a holding the ball call against McInerney from about 15m out around 20 seconds prior to the Rozee shot.

The missed throw from Gulden with about 4 mins to go with Rowbottom getting a free immediately after.

The advantage paid from the Finlayson free inside 50 for Rozee to take a shot compared to Blakey’s free coming back (and eventually 50) despite Warner playing on.

The bullshit HTB call against Williams which ended up in a goal to them.

The bullshit deliberate against Houston which ended up in a goal to them.

The call against Wines for Parkers shot, I think near half time.

Even their first goal came from Ladhams quite literally just falling over.

And as you’ve mentioned, the just awful review that should’ve been called a goal.

Last time we had a performance like this was 2018 v Melbourne at AO.

We lost the inside 50s by 30.

We moved to 11-4, and it was proclaimed that we'd turned a corner and were now ready to beat the top sides and could win dirty.

We ended the season 12-10.

This win showed us zero we don't already know. When our effort is on, we can pressure and compete. We have some individuals who can do brilliant things and win us games. We are coached incredibly poorly, we lack an effective system of ball movement, and are devoid of any idea of how to close out key moments, that embarrassing final play a perfect example.

We got lucky. We weren't the better team. It was exciting to see the boys get rewarded for effort, whilst playing with the Hinkley-handbrake on, but it means zilch. We have serious systemic issues and whilst I enjoy winning, it is a shit feeling knowing we did it despite our coach, yet he will get credited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no matter how much Jonas is out of form and all can see he needs a spel no club is ever going to drop therir captain.

A co-captain yes as they are basicly 2 vice captains both doing the captain job but not a captain.

GWS did it in 2021 and the media dumped all over coniglio and leon Cameron

If we were playing good footy consistently and that was our gritty win when not playing our best. I would be over the moon. But we played s**t and got ridiculously lucky. Forward entries as bad as ever. Negative gutless Hinkley tactics. Nothing more.
This ^

I'd love for this club to fix itself so I could be more excited for those. Instead what should've been a good feeling after a good win is a feeling of nothing.

Watch us lose to Western Bulldogs and West Coast now.

So what's the deal with the umps. -13 round 1, -19 round 2, +7 last week, -10 tonight.
Do the maggots hate us or is it poor technique (ken)

no matter how much Jonas is out of form and all can see he needs a spel no club is ever going to drop therir captain.

A co-captain yes as they are basicly 2 vice captains both doing the captain job but not a captain.

Tom Coneus is not Coniglio.

I'd love for this club to fix itself so I could be more excited for those. Instead what should've been a good feeling after a good win is a feeling of nothing.

Watch us lose to Western Bulldogs and West Coast now.
Tonight was a win for Ken, Koch and the Cornses - and they have made it all about them already lmao. Not many else except for the few stragglers left.

I think it's a remarkable effort that whilst playing on that postage stamp and with so many oppo forward entries that jonas did not make one tackle for the game, truly amazing by tommy.

FMD. This board.

If you can't take joy out of your team winning a game like that you really need to think why you follow footy at all.
I follow it to hopefully celebrate a premiership. I'm looking forward to seeing us compete for one in 60 years.

Regardless of the result, that was a much better effort tonight. Our tackles count, contested ball numbers and general hunt and desperation were a vast improvement on our previous two efforts, and it was a poignant and emotional matchwinner for Jeremy Finlayson that gave this game a touch of beauty. It certainly wasn't pretty football; the inability of our midfield to defend the centre square or halt the flow of Warner and the Sydney mids was poor, and the desperation to get as many behind the ball as possible meant that a lot of the game was scrappy and contested, and when we did get some momentum, the lack of forward targets and the butchery of the ball by the likes Boak, Duursma, Bergman and Powell-Pepper was disheartening. They don't appear to recognise the forwards' advantage side, and lack the skill to maximise gilt-edged opportunities.

We squandered at least 4 set shots, leading to a goal-less first quarter, and I think we all expected us to collapse under the avalanche of awful umpiring and poor structure, and fall completely out of the contest. But for once, we showed some grit, and fought our way into the contest in the second term. Hinkley's surprise move of coaching from the bench for the first time EVER seemed to inspire the players, and he actually looked like a coach for once - instructing and motivating the players in the dugout. We were obviously aided by the departure of the Swans' fraternal KPDs, but structure and intensity was much improved. After the long break, we looked like being over-run, but kept persisting, and finally the avalanche of umpiring bias slowed slightly, and our forwards finally capitalised on some set shots

Jonas - Finished as a footballer. Granted, he lifted his intensity from last week but that's an ant's limbo bar. Should have taken responsibility for McDonald, but elected to spend most of his time on Heeney when forward, and was fortunate that his radar was off or TJ would have conceded 4 or 5. 2/10

Powell -Pepper - Pretty good, displayed his usual vigour and intensity, but tends to be a panic merchant when he kicks, and can be a little agricultural with his efforts. An example was being the final chain in one of our few links of clean attacking play in the second term, only to throw the ball blindly on his boot and across the face of goal. But equally, he redeemed himself by halving the ensuing contest and snapping a lucky goal, so both side of his game were ensconsed in a microcosm there. But overall, made few mistakes and played his role. 5/10

Marshall - Needs to recognise the advantages he has over particular opponents.When opposed to McCartin, tried to wrestle; when opposed to Rampe, he tried to lead.Looked like having a mare when his first shot missed completely - I'm sure we all thought it an omen, but redeemed himself with a crucial pressure goal to kickstart the final victory push. Overall, below average for his recent standards, but played his role and was seen helping out in the aerial defensive contests as well. 5/10

Houston - Good game, despite being utterly burnt by the deliberate rushed call. Helped out his undersized KPDs in the air and by using his body to block, won the ball well at ground level (which is not always his strength), and used it very well and intelligently going forward. A very under-rated player, but his role is critical when we play the ultra-flood like we did tonight. 7/10

Farrell - Swans isolated him deep on Papley, and his lack of defensive prowess was exposed constantly. Fortunately, Papley had an off night and tried to show off too much, so Kane's efforts were not as crucial as they could have been. He is so much more effective across half-back or wing, where his kicking is more dangerous, than being used as a lockdown defender, which he is patently unviable as. But regardless of the poor coaching move, if he is given a role, he should knuckle down and be expected to perform it, and in this aspect, he failed most of the night. 3/10

Duursma - Really good, I thought. Turned up constantly in defence, and took a couple of great contested saving marks there, and was conspicuous in turning up at every contest on his wing too. His ball use going inside 50 is high and hope, though, and he can't reach elite status unless this improves. But overall, his best game this year, and progress is progress. 6/10

Butters - His best game for the year, in a midfield role. Won plenty of clearances and stood out for his clean handling in congestion. Looked like he was running on top of the ground again, but it was perhaps slightly concerning that his nominal opponent was Warner, who was probably BOG. However, in the midfield, everyone is responsible for nobody and everybody, so I won't hold this against him. I thought he was our best, and that he lifted his level when the game was there to be won. 8/10

Boak - Still working his way into the season, and was better tonight. We got what we usually get from Trav - unquestioned effort, hard running, calmness and composure...and horrific ball use. A leopard never changes his spots, and nor does our former skipper. But he is talismanic to the playing group, and will improve from here. 6/10

Finlayson - Just about my favourite moment of this season so far was Jeremy's emotional interview with Jude Bolton after the game. When even the interviewer can't hold back the tears, you know it is an emotional moment. But Jezza deserved the limelight; he was our shining light in a forward line that looked dysfunctional most of the night. He used his height advantage better that Marshall and Dixon, and gave Lloyd a constant headache. Didn't see much ruck time because he was so effective forward, and his 3 goals and serenity in chaos was the reason we won. 8/10

McKenzie - Had Amartey mostly, a bit of McDonald and was strong and resolute. A much better defender than Clurey, but I get annoyed by him using short kicks instead of activating his weapon. He showed no sign of the supposed injury that he should still be resting from, so I wonder if there was a problem or not? Anyway, punched well, outbodied Amartey nearly every time and helped out on Buddy as well, so was our best defender tonight. 7/10

Bergman - Floating across half back, he had some good moments and didn't make many errors, but also failed to provide much drive or creativity. The few runs through the centre that he had, he just kicked in hope, and needs to learn better awareness both in tight and when free. But had few poor moments, and looked less like JHF and more like finding his own identity, which is a step in the right direction.

Rioli - Putrid in the first half, and although he worked into the game and had a few shots on goal, it's alarming to see him constantly abandon a chase and run forward of a contest. Deserved to be subbed off, and will be lucky to keep his spot next week. Footy is about more than running into an open goal, son! 1/10

Wines - Better, but still not the player he can be. The calf strapping is perhaps a pointer to his reduced output? Ollie seems frustrated by something; whether it's the fact that he has been surpassed by others in midfield minutes, or the role he has to play, or extra attention from opponents, or a slight niggle that he can't get over, or a sense of loyalty to a flagging coach. Maybe trouble in paradise? Anyway, he can and will get better - he had Parker for the most part, and it was a good battle probably going the Swans' way. 5/10

Horne -Francis - He's brilliant in the contest, despite his complete lack of defensive ability. He has terrific balance, great strength for a second year player, spatial awareness that few others possess, and he has the ability to adjust his kicks to reach a taget that others don't even see. However, once a ball leaves a contest, his follow-up leaves a bit to be desired - he doesn't turn up at every contest, only every second or third contest. This can be attributed to his youth and inexperience, and I'm sure he is working on his fitness. For now, what he does, he does with excellence, and he showed an ability to be a dangerous resting forward as well. 7/10

Rozee - Tagged by Rowbottom, but still had an impact. The goal in the last was crucial, and he kept at his game all night despite the close attention from the Swans. Won several clearances, but rarely broke free; however, his class shines like a beacon in a team of average talents. 7/10

Alli - Dominated Buddy in aerial contests, and was equal with Butters as our best player. Seemed to enjoy playing at the SCG for the first time since he walked out on them, and definitely had some bantz going with a few ex-teammates! He just outbodied, outpositioned, outmarked and outpunched everyone in front of him all night, and showed some trademark dash on occasions, too. But the defining moment came with the spoil after the siren - how fitting that that was Allir stopping the Swans from pinching it at the end. 8/10

Dixon - Good, but should have impacted the scoreboard more, considering his size advantage in the forward line. On several occasions, he had positional advantage, height and strength superiority, yet failed to clutch marks inside 50. It was telling that the coaches sent him into the second ruck role instead of Finlayson, as h was struggling as a forward. And it must be said, his efforts around the groud were good, using his strength and size to create contests between the arcs. It was puzzling that he became Jane as soon as he crossed the 50m line. Also, we don't win without his big effort in winning a centre clearance immediately after giving away an milked 50m penalty that cost us the lead. 7/10

Williams - Really good, for a second game in a new position. Mostly on Hayward, but had moments opposed to Heeney and Papley, and didn't lose anything by comparison. Won a crucial contested intercept mark in the critical moments of the final term, and mostly used the ball calmly and cleanly. Will keep his place with those efforts, and might have found his calling as an AFL player off half-back. 6/10

Drew - Down a bit on recent form, and looked hurried and aimless when he got it. Still plays a crucial role on the defensive side of stoppages, and seemed to be on the bench whenever the camera focused there, so may have been feeling a niggle or had some time-management applied to him. Has done better, but it wasn't his worst performance. 4/10

Lycett - Rose to the challenge of playing his old mate, and competed well in ruck and around the ground with Pistol. Still gives away far too many clumsy frees for my liking, and his variation in effort between games indicates that his motivation waxes and wanes, but when he is on, he can be an effective ruckman. It's just that when he is beaten, he is thrashed. 5/10

Byrne-Jones - Came on as the sub in the last, and threw himself into the action. Put his body on the line of a charging Franklin, then bounced up to win the loose ball and set up McEntee. He looks so much better when not having to defend, and it must be said that he took his demotion to sub with aplomb, seen encouraging teammates at the breaks and impacting the game when activated. Well done, probably back in next week, eh KEN? 5/10

McEntee - Preferred his game over Rioli, and an improvement on Lachie Jones. Looks too small to fulfil the role permanently, but then again his attitude seems spot on, and he had at least 3 set shots where he found space inside 50, and crucially converted from the final one to give us the lead in the last quarter. Well done, he was not our worst and doesn't deserve to be the meme he has become on here - he has played 9 games and been impactful in 3 of them. 6/10

Mead - Started off well, then faded out of the game and was my pick to be subbed in the last, unfortunately an honour that Rioli earned even more. Worked hard in an exclusively forward role, and chased down and smothered on several occasions. Very unlucky that the ARC had no gumption to make a decision, and it really looked like being the moment that we would look back on as the decision that changed the game, but in the end Fin saved the ARC's bacon. Mead is probably in the gun as a possible out next week, but I thought he accepted a new role for him, and played it to an acceptable level. 5/10

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 4, 2023 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back