Round 4 v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: R4 vs. Freo

Trouble is our forward line is going to be shaky no matter what happens.
If we bring in Raph to send Fish/Gilbert forward, we have a shaky back line and a shaky forward line.
If we bring in McEvoy or even Pattison, at least we have a kick ass backline to feed the ball into the forward line.

Trouble is our forward line is going to be shaky no matter what happens.
If we bring in Raph to send Fish/Gilbert forward, we have a shaky back line and a shaky forward line.
If we bring in McEvoy or even Pattison, at least we have a kick ass backline to feed the ball into the forward line.

just remember fisher missed the first couple of games and gilbert really stepped up and became the general down back.

i don't like mcevoy up forward all the time, he's not mobile enough and pattison, just no.

i think our backline is good enough with fisher being released forward (barring no more injuries).

Freo were impressive against the Cats but I'm still confident we can beat them pretty comfortably at home.

We didn't have any trouble beating them in the NAB Cup without Riewoldt, Goddard and Gardiner, although they were missing a few good players too.

If it was at Subi you'd probably have them favourites but they are still nowhere near as good on the road. Hopefully they will have a bit of a let down too after celebrating their big win over Geelong and we can catch them on the hop.

Freo were impressive against the Cats but I'm still confident we can beat them pretty comfortably at home.

We didn't have any trouble beating them in the NAB Cup without Riewoldt, Goddard and Gardiner, although they were missing a few good players too.

If it was at Subi you'd probably have them favourites but they are still nowhere near as good on the road. Hopefully they will have a bit of a let down too after celebrating their big win over Geelong and we can catch them on the hop.

agree 100%

Can't wait to bring them back down to earth.
Think we will win by 7-8 goals. We have a clear advantage in the midfield, and our defense is rock solid. Only worry is who will kick the goals, think Milne and Schneider will play a big role this week :thumbsu:

I'm not completely sold on Freo anyway...
Who have they beaten? Adelaide who have been terrible, Essendon who are... Essendon and a Geelong missing most of their spine..

We have a solid defence and midfield, and will be giving our forwards plenty of deadly accurate delivery, i dont see how we cant win...

Who have they beaten? Adelaide who have been terrible, Essendon who are... Essendon and a Geelong missing most of their spine..

We have a solid defence and midfield, and will be giving our forwards plenty of deadly accurate delivery, i dont see how we cant win...

Not suggesting we'll beat you by any stretch, but we've beaten the premiers, and thrashed the teams that finished 5th and 8th last year. That is excellent form, by any measure.

In regards Geelong, even without their spine, we were without Tarrant and Podisadly contributed as much, if not more than has Mooney has against us over the past 2-3 times we've played.

Hopefully it's a good game. :)

Freo have improved quite a bit this year though and have almost a full strength team to pick from. I didn't take much notice of their wins over Adelaide and Essendon as they are both pretty ordinary at the moment but you have to give them credit for beating Geelong the way they did, even with the players Geelong had out.

I'm still pretty confident we'll beat them as we play the Dome a lot better than they do. Also after hearing all the Freo supporters carry on like they have won the premiership today I really hope we beat them just to shut them up.

Freo have improved quite a bit this year though and have almost a full strength team to pick from. I didn't take much notice of their wins over Adelaide and Essendon as they are both pretty ordinary at the moment but you have to give them credit for beating Geelong the way they did, even with the players Geelong had out.

I'm still pretty confident we'll beat them as we play the Dome a lot better than they do. Also after hearing all the Freo supporters carry on like they have won the premiership today I really hope we beat them just to shut them up.

We're carrying on like we won the premiership? Hardly. We beat Geelong in a fantastic game and we're euphoric. I liken to all of you lot after you beat the Lions at the Dome in 2004. We're also all completely surprised at being 3-0, when many good judges would've had us at 0-3. We're possibly lining ourselves up for a top 8, nothing more. If we make the eight I'll be very happy, top 4 I'd be ecstatic. :)

I haven't seen enough of Freo this year to comment on the type of game they are playing, but the results so far speak for themselves.
There has been some pretty canny drafting and trading at the dockers recently.
The drafting seems to have been more hit than miss with some good early round picks, some very good mature age picks, and some experienced talent in McPhee and Tarrant. Not sure if Alex Silvagny will be on first name basis with many of the current Saints, but no doubt McQualter and Gwilt will say hello.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo's first 4 games were widely seen as the hardest first 4 possible. Compare to ANY other team in the league. All top 8 teams in 2009 both Grand Finalists. If this happened to the Pies or the Blues there would be a Royal Commission!

We have beaten all that have come before us. All you can ask. I have no doubt that Freo will see this game as their greatest challenge so far and an excellent yardstick as to how far that they have progressed.

I anticipate a much closer game than many on here suggest. The most important thing is that I hope that the injury curse from this Round will stop. Neither side need to lose any more stars.

Best of luck for the game and season Saints.

Not suggesting we'll beat you by any stretch, but we've beaten the premiers, and thrashed the teams that finished 5th and 8th last year. That is excellent form, by any measure.

In regards Geelong, even without their spine, we were without Tarrant and Podisadly contributed as much, if not more than has Mooney has against us over the past 2-3 times we've played.

Melbourne beat them as well so I think it might be slightly misleading!

However the Dockers look to be playing great team football, so after this round only one of us will remain undefeated.

I'm backing it will be us.

The NAB cup game is meaningless. Saints missing a few, we were missing Ballantyne, McPharlin, Sandilands, Mayne, Headland, Mundy, Van Berlo ... plus Johnson and Hayden only played a half.

I don't think any Freo supporter thinks we will win. I'd be very surprised if we even got close. Hopefully we are competitive for most of the game.

Not sure if our defence gets the credit it deserves. Sure Geelong piled on the points, but Tarrant, McPharlin, Hayden, Broughton, Duffield, Silvagni are a pretty good group at both defending and rebounding. Without your 2 key forwards, I hope our defence can stop a huge score going on the board. Maybe something like a 90-60 win for the Saints.

We wont win this. We need to try and control the tempo for periods, not get thrashed and come out without injuries. Our big game against St. Kilda this year will be further down the track.

I actually think this will be closer than most think, freo are travelling the best i can remember. should be a great test for both teams as we will be restructuring due to our forced changes and freo are on a roll.
will be interesting to see how we come out and play.
We showed how mentally tough we are against scummingwood last week.
Will be interesting to see what freo brings to the game.

Yeah, as i said, not quite sold on Freo being a threat just yet... but huge respect for beating Geelong, they are a great team, even without their best.
Should be a good, close game between the two teams... i remember the last Saints-Freo game at Etihad i was bored shitless :p

We're carrying on like we won the premiership? Hardly. We beat Geelong in a fantastic game and we're euphoric. I liken to all of you lot after you beat the Lions at the Dome in 2004. We're also all completely surprised at being 3-0, when many good judges would've had us at 0-3. We're possibly lining ourselves up for a top 8, nothing more. If we make the eight I'll be very happy, top 4 I'd be ecstatic. :)

Well maybe not all the Freo supporters are carrying on like they won the premiership but a few are. Actually it's more the media here that are the worst offenders, with their usual favourites West Coast doing down the gurgler they've all jumped on the Freo bandwagon. It's all Freo this and Freo that at the moment.

I guess I can understand it as Freo have been down for a while so everyone is taking the opportunity to hype them up. I don't actually begrudge the Freo supporters getting excited as they haven't had much to get excited about for a while but some of the hype at the moment is going over the top. It's only Rd.3 after all and there is a long way to go yet.

Looking forward to the game though, would have to be the match of the round and it's a rare opportunity to see my team play live since we are playing a WA team.

We are enjoying being 3-0 no doubt, however 1 week at a time and we are aware a "youngish" team can let down easily on the road.

The saints for their part will have to do without their main escape clause "when in doubt bomb it to roowoldt". You can plonk Gardiner down there but will not have the same impact.

Our mids broke even with Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Chapman, Ling and Cory last week. Saints mids although better on paper than ours should hold no fears for our boys.

Heres hoping for a good game.

Guys im not overly confident, with the voldt and kozi out...Goddard has to play forward but i see us dominating but I like freos backline they have built it up with broughton silvani, duffield and tarrant. Milne wont have our best targets knocking it his way....goals are an issue. Need nicky dal, hayes, fisher,gram (any mid really) to contribute a few. Also Gilbert is a great mark and a good kick....with fisher back i wouldnt mind trying him up forward

Guys im not overly confident, with the voldt and kozi out...Goddard has to play forward but i see us dominating but I like freos backline they have built it up with broughton silvani, duffield and tarrant. Milne wont have our best targets knocking it his way....goals are an issue. Need nicky dal, hayes, fisher,gram (any mid really) to contribute a few. Also Gilbert is a great mark and a good kick....with fisher back i wouldnt mind trying him up forward

no doubting that they'll experiment with a forward this week. i just can't see them going with a ruckmen as full forward for the whole match. they'll probably bring in mcevoy for riewoldt and alternate him with gardiner up forward but they'll still need to put fisher, gilbert or dawson up there until we get kosi back. we really need goddard delivering the ball inside 50, not being on the end of kicks there although he's good as a pinch hitter. it would be good to see stanley get a gig but can't see rossy giving him the opportunity just yet.

no doubting that they'll experiment with a forward this week. i just can't see them going with a ruckmen as full forward for the whole match. they'll probably bring in mcevoy for riewoldt and alternate him with gardiner up forward but they'll still need to put fisher, gilbert or dawson up there until we get kosi back. we really need goddard delivering the ball inside 50, not being on the end of kicks there although he's good as a pinch hitter. it would be good to see stanley get a gig but can't see rossy giving him the opportunity just yet.

I can't see McEvoy and Kosi giving us an effective forward line. We will need someone more mobile as well, for the forseeable future.
Not sure that Dawson is in the running but maybe. We are lucky that we seem to have a spare backman at the moment and maybe Jessie Smith will be available before Riewoldt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 4 v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back