Round 4 v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: R4 vs. Freo

I think that Stanley in, Nick out obviously.
McEvoy would be good to have but Stanley would most likely present a better forward target and we need Gardiner and King for Ruck. Big Mac would have no chance for Sandilands. I'd say Gardiner will push forward. He can easily kick a goal or two at good accuracy.

I think that Stanley in, Nick out obviously.
McEvoy would be good to have but Stanley would most likely present a better forward target and we need Gardiner and King for Ruck. Big Mac would have no chance for Sandilands. I'd say Gardiner will push forward. He can easily kick a goal or two at good accuracy.

Freo's changes will most likely be;

In: Taz, Pearce. Out Dodd,Suban.

We should be stronger for the return of Taz (who has been awesome since moving back) but strong enough to win? Not sure.

Bad luck about Roo (he is a champ) it looks like it is time for Goddard to take over .

Should be a cracker of a game. Best of luck all round!

This is what I'd like to see

Out: Roo, Dawson.
In: Raph, Lynch/Stanley. Not sure whether we want to risk Stanley getting knocked around early.

Fisher drops back and takes Cougar's spot, giving Dawson a reason to fight back into the team and earn his spot-- haven't been impressed with Coug lately, seems a little unaware at times. Chips would do well shutting a man down, I reckon. Raph falls into defence too. Gilbo remains free man in defence where he has starred for the last three rounds. Lynch/Stanley and Goddard go forward.

This is what I'd like to see

Out: Roo, Dawson.
In: Raph, Lynch/Stanley. Not sure whether we want to risk Stanley getting knocked around early.

Fisher drops back and takes Cougar's spot, giving Dawson a reason to fight back into the team and earn his spot-- haven't been impressed with Coug lately, seems a little unaware at times. Chips would do well shutting a man down, I reckon. Raph falls into defence too. Gilbo remains free man in defence where he has starred for the last three rounds. Lynch/Stanley and Goddard go forward.

Agree that Zac deserves a run at Sandy. Seems too laconic at times for mine - like he's just cruising, which really shits me when I see Gilbert and others absolutely busting a gut. Think it would help him to build up a bit more too, getting rag-dolled to easily at present.

I'd like to see Raph recalled too, but used as a forward option. Reckon he could be more than useful as a replacement for Roo - creative, good overhead, pretty quick and would naturally apply good forward pressure after playing down back so much.

Without starting a research project, I'm pretty sure Fisher played forward prior to his AFL career. Could be a bit rusty by now though.
Was drafted as a mature age forward, played one game there for the Saints before moving down back. Apparently his kicking for goal wasn't too crash hot.

Really? I wouldn't be playing Fish forward. Gardy, or Godders. Goddard is a gun wherever he plays, and I think having Gardy playing fwd for 4 qrts would mean he's our focal target, should kick 3.

Really? I wouldn't be playing Fish forward. Gardy, or Godders. Goddard is a gun wherever he plays, and I think having Gardy playing fwd for 4 qrts would mean he's our focal target, should kick 3.

I reckon we will name a forward. But nobody is going to be as effective as Riewoldt ( unless we can borrow John Brown for the season ).
Goddard will be midfield and Gardiner will be ruck , but it will be important for both of them to get forward at the right time to support whichever forward we end up with. Perhaps we will be playing with a slightly weaker defence if these guys are instructed not to drop back so far.

Ross is finally taking my calls:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ver-for-riewoldt/story-e6frg7mf-1225853376069

And Lyon also revealed, that "in hindsight" he should have sent Fisher forward in the final quarter of last year's grand final against Geelong.

Fisher will be given the imprimatur by Lyon to "float" in his new role, rather than have any restrictions in a set key-position.

"We have to be careful not to compromise other structures," Lyon said.

Lyon's ideal is to continue to use another of his forward options, Brendon Goddard, predominantly as a midfielder who plays through the three zones.

Lyon said that up to four players who have not played at senior level this season -- Raphael Clarke, Jack Steven, Robert Eddy and Rhys Stanley -- would come under consideration this week.

Who is willing to bet that as soon as a ball hits the deck in the forward line, the call of "Gee, the Saints really miss Riewoldt" will be made?

I actually hope Tarrant plays. At this point not a really suitable matchup for him and I'd happily back Gardiner against him one out. For the first time in a long time we have a massive element of unpredictability about our setup. I like this.

Lyon said that up to four players who have not played at senior level this season -- Raphael Clarke, Jack Steven, Robert Eddy and Rhys Stanley -- would come under consideration this week.
Please not Eddy, we have no use for the guy.

Would be great to see the other three get a run, but hard to squeeze them all in.

I think jack steven is going to break into the senior team this year. if he can not get injured, he will charge this year. he has that bit of speed we need and is still tough as nails

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is willing to bet that as soon as a ball hits the deck in the forward line, the call of "Gee, the Saints really miss Riewoldt" will be made?

I actually hope Tarrant plays. At this point not a really suitable matchup for him and I'd happily back Gardiner against him one out. For the first time in a long time we have a massive element of unpredictability about our setup. I like this.

I'll take that bad L4Me.
Gee I'm pumped, Ross Lyon is no idiot, he'll give us a forward set up that has the abillity to beat Freo. Maybe throw a few irregulars in their, we'll get good delivery regardless.

OUT: Riewoldt
IN: Stanely

B: Gwilt - Dawson - Gilbert
HB: Goddard - Blake - Gram
C: Montagna - Armitage - Dal Santo
HF: Schneider - Fisher - McQualter
F: Peake - Gardiner - Milne
R: King - Hayes - Jones
INT: Stanely - Geary - Baker - Ray

Em: Clarke, Steven, Eddy

bring in jack steven as he will attack and spread, we are good defensively but without tall targets we need as much attack as possible to get the ball in quick for our new faorward set up.

Stanley or Steven being included would be great. Everyone thinks so highly of young Steven, and for him to play a few games this year would be good for him.
Stanley is raw, but playing him forward where we're utilising his speed is a smart idea.

Given the news that Fisher will play CHF, I'm guessing Lyon will be taking Raph in for Riewoldt and lining him up in the backline.

Before people whinge, this is not robbing Peter to pay Paul. This is Peter making a donation of his surplus that he doesn't need to the impoverished Paul. Peter still has Gilbert, Blake, Dawson, Gwilt and now Clarke, with Goddard inevitably spending time down there if he is not another permanent forward (which is highly unlikely). Second tall will probably play deep and be a resting ruckman or any of Goddard, Clarke and Gwilt. Rest assured balance will still be there as will structure.

Fisher is indeed the best candidate for CHF. Coming off injury he may not be ready to even play an accountable defensive role anyway. He has uncanny prediction of play and will be able to take many marks in Riewoldt's role - although he doesn't have an engine comparable to Riewoldt I think he has more natural talent in finding the ball and will at least be servicable. He is a defender so is more suited kicking to targets than on goal which could be a worry, but given CHF most of his marks will be 70-80 metres out and kicking to set up a goal - his foot disposal going inside 50 will be lethal.

Not feeling too bad about this. Kosi/Fisher will hold us up until Riewoldt's back, unless either of them are injured/suspended.

He is a defender so is more suited kicking to targets than on goal which could be a worry

He would be one of the better shots for goal in the team from a set shot - imo only behind Red Bull in this respect (McEvoy is pretty handy too).

All's good then! Just a concern. Most defenders go haywire looking at goal.

I will enjoy Fisher's newfound position on the ground.

Good vibes about Gardiner playing a common forward role too.

Yesterday I watched the Freo-Geelong game and I must say I was impressed with the incredible improvement FFC have undergone since last season. Their pressure to the ball carrier resembled ours in a lot of periods of the game. They are a younf team and made mistakes typical of that (errors under pressure, not knowing what to do with the ball at times, stuffing up a lot of goal oppourtunities), but mainly the way they played was fantastic. I liked a lot their young defender Silvagni, he managed to play effectively and successfully on a number of different Geelong players with a poise that seeemed from a seasoned veteran. Pav was great as usual, and I think we can compare him with Rooey's effect on our team in the years 2004-2007, when our list wasn't as mature as and as experienced as now.

I think it will be a great test for our team. Obviously, as a young team, they can have ups and downs and I can see a Freo team having a really bad day too. But I reckon it will be another very intense game and I am looking forward to watch it already.

We will no doubt miss Roo, we cannot replace him and his workrate at all, but we can surely bring another player in who will play with intensity and according to our game plan. As long as we do not change our structures too much, we may win this one.

Bring it on!

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 4 v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back