Round 4 v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: R4 vs. Freo

Been thinking long and hard about our lineup and I think this one is probably best considering theres no Roo & Kosi

B: Baker Dawson Blake
HB: Gram Gwilt Gilbert
C: Montagna Hayes Ray
HF: Schneider Goddard Dal Santos
F: Milne Fisher Mc Quaalter
R: Gardiner Jones Armitage
Inter: Clarke King Geary Peake
Emerg: Eddy Steven McEvoy

Well maybe not all the Freo supporters are carrying on like they won the premiership but a few are. Actually it's more the media here that are the worst offenders, with their usual favourites West Coast doing down the gurgler they've all jumped on the Freo bandwagon. It's all Freo this and Freo that at the moment.

I guess I can understand it as Freo have been down for a while so everyone is taking the opportunity to hype them up. I don't actually begrudge the Freo supporters getting excited as they haven't had much to get excited about for a while but some of the hype at the moment is going over the top. It's only Rd.3 after all and there is a long way to go yet.

Looking forward to the game though, would have to be the match of the round and it's a rare opportunity to see my team play live since we are playing a WA team.

Fair enough Plugger; I'm not one of those Freo fans that spots a negative media agenda and conspiracy behind every headline or news item but how objective can Channel 7 be when it's a key sponsor of the Eagles? It must be tough for a supporter of Victorian teams to get a look in at all.

As for Freo, there's a lot to like at the moment and a real mongrel about the team, as typified by the fact that they overturned a 21 point deficit late in the third. Previous Freo teams have shown a tendency to drop off alarmingly and have had an inability to sustain pressure, which hasn't shown itself this year. I'm very excited; the veterans AND the youngsters are playing well with no passengers.

This week, all I want to see is a good, hard tackling, consistent performance. If we get beaten, as long as we go down fighting, I'll be content. St Kilda are a better side than we are - you've won 25 of your last 28 games - there is no shame in being beaten if your opponent is better is there? :)

Been thinking long and hard about our lineup and I think this one is probably best considering theres no Roo & Kosi

B: Baker Dawson Blake
Ballantyne Mayne Johnson
HB: Gram Gwilt Gilbert
Headland Pav McPhee
C: Montagna Hayes Ray
Hill Mundy Morabito
HF: Schneider Goddard Dal Santos
Van Berlo Taz Duffield
F: Milne Fisher Mc Quaalter
Hayden McPharlin Broughton
R: Gardiner Jones Armitage
Sandi Barlow Haselby
Inter: Clarke King Geary Peake
Crowley De Boer Silvagni Walters/Palmer/Bradley
Emerg: Eddy Steven McEvoy
Dodd
Pav on Gwilt - I like it. 8 goals??
I think you will rely on your small forwards and we have some good matchups there in Broughton, Duffield and Hayden. I think we match up pretty well all over the ground. Silvagni may get a rest from our side as no obvious matchup.

Surely Silvagni has been playing too well to be left out. Apart from Milne, Schneider and McQualter you have no real idea of what forward line you will see. So why change your backline that's been getting the job done?

I can't see how we can lose this tbh, we just have to slow them down, let the defence work then 12 goals will see us home.

I just dont think we should be caught tall. Whos going to kick you 12 goals? I would think for you to win will need a real grind at 8-9 goals a piece.

Pav on Gwilt - I like it. 8 goals??
I think you will rely on your small forwards and we have some good matchups there in Broughton, Duffield and Hayden. I think we match up pretty well all over the ground. Silvagni may get a rest from our side as no obvious matchup.

If we go man on man against Pav, I think he'll be introduced to Mr Jones or Mr Baker. Underestimate Gwilt to your peril though.

Yea I would have though Silvagni has being too well to get dropped. Is Tarrent ready to play again? I thought he was out for a while.
Just a sidenote. I think people forget with our awesome defensive pressure and lack of goals that actually get kicked against us that we only need to find 9-10 goals to win a game most of the time.

Yea I would have though Silvagni has being too well to get dropped. Is Tarrent ready to play again? I thought he was out for a while.
Just a sidenote. I think people forget with our awesome defensive pressure and lack of goals that actually get kicked against us that we only need to find 9-10 goals to win a game most of the time.
Yeah, but given Freo have been kicking plenty I'm allowing for them to kick a couple extra and so I think we may need 11-13 to be safe.

To the Freo bloke.. how would I know where the goals come from til I see who is lining up forward.

I'll have a guess at Gardiner n BJ kicking 3 each.

Yeah, but given Freo have been kicking plenty I'm allowing for them to kick a couple extra and so I think we may need 11-13 to be safe.

To the Freo bloke.. how would I know where the goals come from til I see who is lining up forward.

I'll have a guess at Gardiner n BJ kicking 3 each.

add 2 to gram, 2 to milne, 2 to scheinder, 1 to dal, 1 to montagna, 1 to mcqualter and thats 15 goals!!!

add 2 to gram, 2 to milne, 2 to scheinder, 1 to dal, 1 to montagna, 1 to mcqualter and thats 15 goals!!!

Gwilt loads up from outside 50, ..........16
Sam Fisher runs it forward ... 17
Lenny snaps from the wing. 18
What the hell is Dawson doing so far forward 19. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Freo will get over the line against St Kilda.

I am not convinced Grant Thomas has the coaching ability to out smart Mark Harvey.

No fishes on the line here, mate.

I am not convinced Grant Thomas has the coaching ability to out smart Mark Harvey.
:D..

Grant Thomas.........? lol

Why Is everyone buying Fisher to go forward? We need him down back.

For mine Macca/Patterson are not good forward options

Its gotta be In for Stanley, Its time for a young blokes to get a chance Why does Ross keep them rapped up we need a new hero to emerge especially now Roo is out Give him a chance whats the worst that could happen!

wait, what. :/

We should run over Freo. But gee it should be a good game. Shouldn't take anything for granted here, and play to our strenghts. To suffocate their forward advances.

Grant Thomas.........? lol

Why Is everyone buying Fisher to go forward? We need him down back.

For mine Macca/Patterson are not good forward options

Its gotta be In for Stanley, Its time for a young blokes to get a chance Why does Ross keep them rapped up we need a new hero to emerge especially now Roo is out Give him a chance whats the worst that could happen!

But we don't need all of Fisher, Gwilt, Gilbert, Clarke, Blake, Goddard, playing back. Given that we have this sort of depth in the backline it wouldn't be the end of the world if he went forward.
Top Rucks and Key position players don't come out of a can ready to set the world on fire ( Except a few notable exceptions who tend to be snapped up in the first few picks ).
We KNOW Sam Fisher can play a game of football without his bum touching the bench. ( he was actually named as a forward last week to fit him into the side ). We also know what McEvoy is capable of. We've seen a glimpse of Stanley but most of us don't really know how he will go in a full AFL level game.
Having said that I believe that we should have two forwards capable of playing tall, and we have a single player to come into the team until Kosi is allowed back. I dont like the idea of playing two players from the above list in the forward line. So maybe Stanley gets a run next weekend, but I expect it will be McEvoy into the side.

I'm not convinced he does either but thankfully he's in the media now and not in the Saints coaching box.

That's my thinking too. Not sure why there is a need to wrap our young players in cotton wool. If they are good enough, which I think Stanley is, then we may as well give them a go. Don't think we have much to lose and the upside could be enormous if Stanley plays well, no better time to give him some experience now with both Riewoldt and Kosi out.

We can try and pinch hit at CHF with guys like Goddard, Fisher, McEvoy, Gwilt or Gardiner but none of them really look like natural CHFs and are better suited elsewhere. Stanley looks a natural for that position to me, playing a similar style to Riewoldt, and would probably be a better option long term.

I'm not convinced he does either but thankfully he's in the media now and not in the Saints coaching box.

That's my thinking too. Not sure why there is a need to wrap our young players in cotton wool. If they are good enough, which I think Stanley is, then we may as well give them a go. Don't think we have much to lose and the upside could be enormous if Stanley plays well, no better time to give him some experience now with both Riewoldt and Kosi out.

We can try and pinch hit at CHF with guys like Goddard, Fisher, McEvoy, Gwilt or Gardiner but none of them really look like natural CHFs and are better suited elsewhere. Stanley looks a natural for that position to me, playing a similar style to Riewoldt, and would probably be a better option long term.

Without starting a research project, I'm pretty sure Fisher played forward prior to his AFL career. Could be a bit rusty by now though.

I had a bit of a thought on the way home tonight, and reckon we've got enough talent down back and in midfield to go for Goddard & Stanley in the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 4 v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back