Round 4 v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

LordJimmy

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's interesting to see how we line up with Kosi AND Riewoldt out.

I'm not too worried that Riewoldt's injury will be too long term - no one official at St Kilda seems too worried - obviously will miss a bit but jeez it's being belted up by the media.

OUT: Riewoldt
IN: McEvoy

B: Blake - Dawson - Gilbert
HB: Gwilt - Fisher - Gram
C: Montagna - Armitage - Dal Santo
HF: Schneider - Goddard - McQualter
F: Peake - McEvoy - Milne
R: Gardiner - Hayes - Jones
INT: King - Geary - Baker - Ray

Very impressed with a few individual performances - both Gardiner and King were prominent, Armitage was impressive as usual and Gwilt is a big improver.

I think if we take the same attitude in this will be a sure win - Goddard playing permanant forward will be nearly as imposing as Riewoldt. Gardiner and King can rotate through FF as well.

Oh, and I'll be there, too. Haven't seen the Saints lose live since '06 and they were pathetic that year. Good omen?

Re: R4 vs. Freo

I'm not sure whether we can afford all three of Gardiner, King and McEvoy.

Sandilands kept McEvoy without a single hitout before and McEvoy does not have the speed, endurance and marking skills of Riewoldt (King can compete in the ruck and Gardiner can take big marks). King and Gardiner had very good games today, but one of them may sit one out again as part of an ongoing rotation.

Depending on the Sandy game on Sunday, I would rather expect Clarke to come in with Goddard (or Fisher) playing as permanent forward. Stanley and Pattison would also be options, but Pattison is as slow as McEvoy and Stanley - well, I don't know whether he should be thrown in without Riewoldt and Koschitzke.

Anyway, probably way to early to speculate, let's hope that all the others (Hayes, Fisher, Armitage, McQualter) will be available next week.

No problems with going in with Macca, Gardi and King.
Macca and King to ruck, Gardi run down to FF, Goddard can play anywhere, so maybe he can go CHF initially, and Fisher can also take up that post
Dawson may even go to FF.. he did for a bit during last night's game, and hasn't really hit his straps down in full back yet, so if he is playing average down back - why not?

I hope Fisher is in. Players sometimes need to be rested the week after a serious concussion. ( Even though they come back on).
I'd go with McEvoy and Gardiner rotating full forward with Gilbert on the wing.
But If Fisher is out, I think I'd rather try Stanley on the wing.
Hope Gwilt can keep his form, its now pretty vital.

Dawson out - Steven in
Dawson does not deserve to hold his spot, simple. If Ross Lyon is serious about players not being gifted games then he must be playing for Sandy.

Roo out - Stanley in

King out - Mcevoy in -

I think Mcevoy will get punished by badlands but will be better off for it. I also think he is a better proposition drifting fwd than King or Pattison.

Dawson out - Steven in
Dawson does not deserve to hold his spot, simple. If Ross Lyon is serious about players not being gifted games then he must be playing for Sandy.

Roo out - Stanley in

King out - Mcevoy in -

I think Mcevoy will get punished by badlands but will be better off for it. I also think he is a better proposition drifting fwd than King or Pattison.

True that Dawson has been average at best, but Steven and Dawson are 2 totally different players. If Dawson is going to be dropped, it needs to be for someone who will potentially play full back.

True that Dawson has been average at best, but Steven and Dawson are 2 totally different players. If Dawson is going to be dropped, it needs to be for someone who will potentially play full back.

Sorry, didint mention that someone would need to fill zacs role, Blake would be a ready made replacement allowing Steven or even Clarke to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm condfident we can beat them - but damn impressive stuff from the Dockers nontheless.

Fantastic win by Freo today. Really looking forward to next week now - it'll be a serious test!

Geelong were missing 3-4 key players, Freo couldn't have chosen a better week to play them over the past 3-4 years so you can't really read much into the Cats. Credit where it's due though, was a nice win. I cheered for them. :eek: Never really appreciated Pav until now. Unbelievable. And Stephen Hill, jealous.

Still think we're going to win though, and comfortably. Not a blow out, but 4-5 goals. The Etihad factor, the fact we play it so well and them so bad (although it's improving).
The unpredictability of our forward line will not neccessarilly be a bad thing, so many of our players are versatile enough to bob up and kick a bag.
Legs will be an issue late in the game next week if it is tight, not sure younger Freo players can backup and sustain their incredible pressure for another 4 quarters. Ultimately the winner will be the one who can hold their zone and press the opposition into errors the longest, and after seeing our effort on Friday night, you can't bet against the Saints losing out in that area. How could you?

Thought Freo were lacking a classy mid in the middle so Pav could spend a majority of his time in the forward line. But i just remembered that Rhys Palmer would be due back right about now. Handy timing.

Did anyone happen to see the Sandy game today?
Apparently we won by about 11 goals..

Anyway, to those of you who attended, how did our young prodigy Rhys Stanley perform??

Did anyone happen to see the Sandy game today?
Apparently we won by about 11 goals..

Anyway, to those of you who attended, how did our young prodigy Rhys Stanley perform??

Got in the bests and 1 goal. Sounds like he rucked - 1 goal and in the bests forward would be strange.

Jack Steven was best on ground and had 2 goals to go along with whatever domination he pulled in the middle.

freo looked decent in the nab cup comp and we beat them by 70 points without riewoldt. the nab cup is not always a good indicator but something to consider.

even without riewoldt and freo in form i can't see us losing. we have 2 days extra break and freo will be coming off a bruising affair against the cats. it'll be difficult for a young team to get themselves up for another big game. this could be an anti climax with the saints winning very comfortably. the game being played at the dome makes me even more confident. saints by around 5-6 goals.

as far as the team goes. obviously roo out. mcevoy will come in but at king's expense as he is too one dimensional. mcevoy can play forward as well as ruck. tom lynch will come in for riewoldt and play as the mobile link up forward. fisher to play forward with gardiner, gwilt and goddard to pinch hit up forward. we need to make a longterm plan for rooey's absence. imo we need to persevere with fisher at ff/chf. next week it will be easier with kosi but still need fisher up forward imo.

B: Blake - Dawson - Baker
HB: Goddard - Gilbert - Gram
C: Montagna - Armitage - Dal Santo
HF: Schneider -Fisher - McQualter
F: Peake - Mcevoy - Milne
R: Gardiner - Hayes - Jones
INT: Gwilt - Geary - Lynch - Ray

Stanley rucked for most of the day today @ Sandy.

Clarke was our best IMO, looked a class above the rest.

TheLastEmperor - Lynch is injured and didn't play at Sandy today.

Stanley rucked for most of the day today @ Sandy.

Clarke was our best IMO, looked a class above the rest.

TheLastEmperor - Lynch is injured and didn't play at Sandy today.

yeah i was just reading the other thread. a pity as he looks a likely type. you'd have to think clarke will come in then.

i like stanley, he's got plenty of potential. i still think he needs a lot more time before he's ready for afl footy. even against freo in the nab cup he was beaten on a number of occasions by silvagni who's young himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 4 v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back