Preview Round 5, 2017: Hawthorn v West Coast Eagles , 23 April 2017, 4.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of his contested marking was elite, he actually took one about 15 out that they didnt pay, was really stiff. He looks a more dangerous Jack Gunston at the minute, I hope his development continues.

as long the coaching staff stop messing around with this kid development. he is a young dermi or peter knights...
i hope now people realise on this forum he a FWD. amount of nonsense i heard preseason.

Last edited:
If Clarkson actually plays Roughead at full forward, Gunston as a true center half forward and Sicily as the third tall we might have a chance of winning.

I don't understand why they don't put Breust in the midfield more often. If anyone of our small forwards should be in the center square it's him. Only 26 and about to enter the prime of his career. Our midfield is lacking in depth and some highly skilled players.

If Breust, Stewart etc are rotating in there we've got a better chance at winning the contested possessions and clearances. When ever Breust is thrown into the midfield he has an immediate impact.

So this is a negative post but i cant hide my dissapointment at this team selection ..
i really think we can win this wk. with a bit of luck and confindance.
but a.clarkson you are turning into a ross lyon!!! yes u have more cups in the cabinet.

back to back 10 goal loses i repeat back to back and u make 1 change? a bloke than been servicable
there is no way in hell!!!! u could be picking up to 5 blokes in this 22 based on this year form. your are picking them on past outputs in previous years.

when. k.stewart pops up grabs 25 touches.. d willsmore pop up with 30 in the vfl. its pretty disgusting your not playing the young talent.

im not calling for 5 changes but 2-3 senior blokes who have played 4 bad games..
for 2kids stewart and willsmore. i would be happy.
lets hope your stubborness pays off your showing alot of faith..

we should at worst get within 4 goals of this mob.. i hope to win go hawks!!!
2 postivies hartung wing and sicily fwd :)

Last edited:

If Clarkson actually plays Roughead at full forward, Gunston as a true center half forward and Sicily as the third tall we might have a chance of winning.

I don't understand why they don't put Breust in the midfield more often. If anyone of our small forwards should be in the center square it's him. Only 26 and about to enter the prime of his career. Our midfield is lacking in depth and some highly skilled players.

If Breust, Stewart etc are rotating in there we've got a better chance at winning the contested possessions and clearances. When ever Breust is thrown into the midfield he has an immediate impact.

See its a small sample size but I'm not sure that's something I agree with.

Hope to see Gibbo repay the faith this week and Burton continue to show some good rebound off half back.

Can't blame Clarko for backing the players in, you can't preach confidence issues then swing the axe. If there is another 80+ point drumming though...

Some of his contested marking was elite, he actually took one about 15 out that they didnt pay, was really stiff. He looks a more dangerous Jack Gunston at the minute, I hope his development continues.

I know he has some faults but as you said, there were some marks last week that were class and strength, absolute brilliance.
Perhaps the Hawks are getting too cute on player development and should just back them in where the player is best suited.

So this is a negative post but i cant hide my dissapointment at this team selection ..
i really think we can win this wk. with a bit of luck and confindance.
but a.clarkson you are turning into a ross lyon!!! yes u have more cups in the cabinet.

back to back 10 goal loses i repeat back to back and u make 1 change? a bloke than been servicable
there is no way in hell!!!! u could be picking up to 5 blokes in this 22 based on this year form. your are picking them on past outputs in previous years. 4 bad games in a row.

when. k.stewart pops up grabs 25 touches.. d willsmore pop up with 30 in the vfl. its pretty disgusting your not playing the young talent.

im not calling for 5 changes but 2-3 senior blokes who have played 4 bad games..
for 2kids stewart and willsmore. i would be happy.
lets hope your stubborness pays off your showing alot of faith..

we should at worst get within 4 goals of this mob.. i hope to win go hawks!!!
2 postivies hartung wing and sicily fwd :)
Club made 4 changes after round one
then another two changes after round two
then another four changes after round 3
at some point if you are trying to build team chemistry you have to stop making changes and just let them play

Adelaide didn't delist him for nothing. He is a mediocre player who at 28 is not going to be part of the future. I would much prefer seeing the likes of Howe and Wilsmore play ahead of him.

Don't disagree we'd rather see the kids but was at Metricon and Henderson was clearly our best player and had the most positive body language.

Might’ve been a one-off but let's judge him on Hawthorn performances and not the fact Adelaide let him go.

the two games ive attended, Breust was nowhere near inside 50! in fact last week, he was in centre bounces and tackled really strongly but he aint a mid!! doesn't win enough of the ball and just like Poppy they aren't natural ball hunters!! they are goal sneaks. Breust engine isn't very good either and has way too many quiet games and doesn't get his hands dirty enough .

Club made 4 changes after round one
then another two changes after round two
then another four changes after round 3
at some point if you are trying to build team chemistry you have to stop making changes and just let them play

correct . but at some point u have to play players in form to get results.
hartung and sicily were apart of those changes twice so u can take out 4. and should never have been dropped at such a early stage.
2/3 changes rewards the kids and also tells the seniours we dont accept there effort.

Don't disagree we'd rather see the kids but was at Metricon and Henderson was clearly our best player and had the most positive body language.

Might’ve been a one-off but let's judge him on Hawthorn performances and not the fact Adelaide let him go.

That's fair, I agree

correct . but at some point u have to play players in form to get results.
hartung and sicily were apart of those changes twice so u can take out 4. and should never have been dropped at such a early stage.
2/3 changes rewards the kids and also tells the seniours we dont accept there effort.
i love how everyone on here thinks senior players need to be dropped to make a statement

First week we blew chances to win, second week injuries as much as anything hurt us

third week was just flat out terrible as confidence was looking pretty poor by that point

last week much better fight but same result

we don't know why certain players are being selected when their form is poor, though really who's form has been good every week this year?
when the team is struggling with the game plan and knowing what to do as well as struggling for on field leadership, maybe Clarko thinks the blokes with the most experience, best footy brains and the guys who are the leaders on their lines need to be out there if fit

maybe he knows its a form issue for some players not being cooked or injured and he's giving them the chance to play their way out of it

maybe he's being too loyal to some of the old heads but there is a lot more to team selection than just whether player a is playing better than player b

what they bring to the overall team matters

we are getting our fair share of youthful exuberance in the team at the moment
Players under 25 named - games in brackets
Langers 24 (50)
Sis 22 (27)
TOB 23 (19)
Howe 21 (15)
Brand 23 (13)
Burton 20 (7)
Mitchell 23 (69)
Hardwick 20 (2)
Hartung 22 (47)

that is 9 out of 22, 8 in the 22 at 50 games or less, and that isn't including the 25-26 year olds in Shiels, Gunston, Breust

So 12 out of the 22 are under 27 if we go in as named, our average age and games played get skewed by Burgers, Gibbo, Hodge and Rough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just so we are clear, it's not what he said here in Perth. He has no interest in where the Hawks are at, he plays for the eagles and will be doing everything he can to ensure the eagles secure a win.
Cool

But he did say he cared, and he seemed to be honest, if he said something else in perth the good on you for sharing

Of course he wants eagles to win this week!

i love how everyone on here thinks senior players need

we are getting our fair share of youthful exuberance in the team at the moment
Players under 25 named - games in brackets
Langers 24 (50)
Sis 22 (27)
TOB 23 (19)
Howe 21 (15)
Brand 23 (13)
Burton 20 (7)
Mitchell 23 (69)
Hardwick 20 (2)
Hartung 22 (47)

that is 9 out of 22, 8 in the 22 at 50 games or less, and that isn't including the 25-26 year olds in Shiels, Gunston, Breust

So 12 out of the 22 are under 27 if we go in as named, our average age and games played get skewed by Burgers, Gibbo, Hodge and Rough

if u want to include players who have been on a afl list for 5 years as kids! (u chose 5) based on games played then yes u can say we are playing a fair amount in our 22.
i would go off how many debutants and games under 10 games they have played Geelong and sydney are miles ahead of this year. two teams with a similar rebuilding stratgey to us.
2nd more if u would like to play 30+ yo in the starting 18 when we are not a chance of making the top 4 this yr ahead of a 18-20 yo kid to develop 10 -15 games into them this year u are also correct. u should join the ross lyon coaching panel.

Disappointed that Stewart was overlooked, hopefully he is a late in .
Personally i think TOB does not cut it at this level, and not sure how many more opportunities he will have .
Surely Willsmore will be given his opportunity soon if we continue to struggle .

We are doomed!!! The media says so, past players say so. Other supporters gleefully say so. Even our own supporters say so. It must be true.

Whats the point right? The Lemon ure out of a job mate
We will win I think. I've thought about it and we are due to put it all together. Hawks by 28

if u want to include players who have been on a afl list for 5 years as kids! (u chose 5) based on games played then yes u can say we are playing a fair amount in our 22.
i would go off how many debutants and games under 10 games they have played Geelong and sydney are miles ahead of this year. two teams with a similar rebuilding stratgey to us.
We were on top of the ladder coming into the home straight trying to win 4 in a row last year.
Hardly the time to be blooding debutantes.
Cats have been rebuilding for 6 years, the Swans have been rebuilding since they got smashed in 2014
Hardly the same time lines as our 4 week rebuild.
Swans also have the advantage of an academy churning out super cheap good quality picks

Disappointed that Kade Stewart isn't named. He couldn't have done anymore last week for Box Hill; 25 disposals, 8 marks and 8 tackles. He needs to play soon. He's got great skills and is one of the best tacklers at Hawthorn. If he can play like 5-10 consecutive games I reckon he will become a very good player.

I don't disagree with what you say, but we won tackles against Geelong and still got smashed. What we seem to be lacking is players with a bit of poise when the ball is in hand - and someone who can with a ruck contest. I'm not sure Stewart addresses either of those right now, which might be why he's being left on the emergency list for now (although the same could be said for a number of the others actually in the team).

2nd more if u would like to play 30+ yo in the starting 18 when we are not a chance of making the top 4 this yr ahead of a 18-20 yo kid to develop 10 -15 games into them this year u are also correct. u should join the ross lyon coaching panel.
In this day and age the earliest a player can get to 50 games is in their third season, unless they are exceptionally durable and lucky and happen to be in a team that plays finals in their first two seasons, get to 25 each year and don't miss a game

So if you say the minimum realistic time to get to 50 games is 3 seasons, which allows for 16 games being missed over three years as a young player, whether that be half the first season and the odd game here or there, or averaging a little over 16 games a year, either way 3 years is tough in a team that is competitive unless you are really quality, and I mean Cyril quality, not your average second round pick

So top 10 picks and some talented kids will get to 50 in 3 years

A lot of player will take 4 years, middle round picks that get drafted by a club that won 3 flags in a row will struggle to get to 50 because the club is about winning flags, they are in their window and high picks are rare

So yes, in the case of Hawthorn especially I consider 23 yo kids who are 5 years into a system but haven't played 50 games to be kids

we haven't had any 17 year old kids debut at any club in the last 9 years
We haven't had anyone younger than 18 years and a little over 3 months debut for any club in the last 7 years

The average age these kids debut at now is 18-19

So if you consider it takes the average player 3-4 years in a middling club to get to 50 games, anyone under 22 and 50 games can easily be considered a kid, and anyone under 50 games at AFL level is really a rookie

you can quibble over my choices including Brand TOB Mitchell and Langford but everyone else at 22 or under and less than 50 games is squarely a kid for mine

In the case of Brand, true key position players take time because physical maturity is a requirement of their position, TOB is asked to play like a key position player also

for blokes like Langford and Mitchell who were rookies/trying to break into premiership caliber midfields, it doesn't happen overnight

He's a forward not a defender!
they way I look at the experiment with Sis at both ends is this
we need someone who can read the play, take contested marks and kick well at both ends of the ground
we need more pace in the back line

Sis covers deficiencies at both ends, the question is where does the team need him more, coaching panel could believe that those blokes that won a bunch of flags up front in Rough Gunners, Cyril, Punky and Poppy don't need a Sis as much as the blokes we are now playing down back

leaving how we are going and where we are playing blokes currently aside, I can see the club thinking Sis can patch more holes down back this season.

They may not be right but they wont know if they dont try

When you put it like that i feel a little more optimistic. Truth is I reckon (totally unsubstantiated reckon) in 3 or 4 years time we will back on top and Clarko will only speak to mortals via a burning bush.

Remember the time when the Hawks were a few goals down, we just needed that first goal to spark a chain of goals. I have that feeling now, just need one win.

Not sure about you guys, but I'm kinda looking forward to the rebuild. I just hope we are at least competitive in those few years. I reckon it's ridiculous to trade all your top players and start fresh, as if that ever worked anyway. I prefer to watch my team thinking at least we might have a chance to win.

For all you young fellas who's balls haven't dropped, take it easy you spoilt brats. Be patient. Rest of you trolls, suffer in your jocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back