Preview Round 5, 2023: Collingwood v St.Kilda - Adelaide Oval, Sunday 16th April, 4:50PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Magpies

Votes: 37 41.1%
  • Saints

Votes: 53 58.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Footy follower first (well, maybe slightly behind being a pies supporter!! But love the strategic side of the game).
Crisp shouldn’t have played last week.
But if he gets suspended….that’s pretty rubbish isn’t it! Imagine pics of you getting shared by a third party x years after the fact and you getting caned for it:

Just think it’s wrong. But who knows?!?!
Let’s see what unfolds - not clear what is very historic, a little bit old & some say is a set up!

What I won’t cop is Eddie saying he is a victim until the real story comes out - old Ed media master with black & white blood running through his veins!

What I will say is any footballer (Saints or any other team included) who has had social media, drugs or respectfulness training who then is dumb enough to send inappropriate stuff (even too mates) gets what that they deserve for stupidity!

We all know Pies supporters when they are on a roll they think they are bullet prove and people have them as one of the flag favorites , well I hate to say it but they are no where close to the Demons and I fully expect the Lions and Cats will be harder to beat than them as the year rolls on.

Collingwood have a very good side , but when you look through the team do you actually think they will hold up the whole year - well I don't. Sidebottom 32 , Pendlebury 35 , Elliott 31 are currently firing but will they be at the end of the season - guys like Adams , Elliott , Moore , DeGoey have always had injuries / meaning they never string together a large bunch of games - and are in and out of the team and if Sidebottom and Pendlebery get through a whole season it will surprise me.

There back line looks underwhelming with out a true rebounding defender in Howe and with only Maynard and Moore I feel they could be opened up easily -

There forward line is the same and they will be relying on DeGoey and Diacos to create the goals required.
When you are playing guys like Frampton , Cox , Markov , Murphy in the side no way will they hold form the whole season and even the older players like Sidebottom showed against the Lions with 12 touches from 83% TOG.

But to me there back line is weak - losing Howe robs them of that on field defensive leader - Pendlebery is doing atm - but gets found out when speed comes to the game like what Raynor and Cameron showed , most good teams have a very good intercept marker.
Cats have Stewart
Tigers have Grimes
Blues have Docherty
Saints have Wilkie
and so on

There forward line is even weaker if you see on the weekend how the Lions had guys like Joyce have 90% TOG and holding McStay to bugger all.

The Pies are good while they are holding up , but how long for - we are capable of knocking them off if we bring the desire to win the ball - all I'm worried about is how long can our kids keep this level of play up.
Hang on….what?
Let’s see what unfolds - not clear what is very historic, a little bit old & some say is a set up!

What I won’t cop is Eddie saying he is a victim until the real story comes out - old Ed media master with black & white blood running through his veins!

What I will say is any footballer (Saints or any other team included) who has had social media, drugs or respectfulness training who then is dumb enough to send inappropriate stuff (even too mates) gets what that they deserve for stupidity!
Don’t get me started on Eddie….since he hasn’t made a comment….let’s ignore that bit.

Here’s the funny thing.

Hypothetical: your best mate: 10 years ago shared some pics. It finds it way to you via a third party a week ago via the herald Sun . Are you cutting off your mate?

Just asking….

Footy follower first (well, maybe slightly behind being a pies supporter!! But love the strategic side of the game).
Crisp shouldn’t have played last week.
But if he gets suspended….that’s pretty rubbish isn’t it! Imagine pics of you getting shared by a third party x years after the fact and you getting caned for it:

Just think it’s wrong. But who knows?!?!
It's not good for sure , but as I said before the AFL does not want the players being seen with drugs on social media full stop.
Just the wrong image they want.
Hopefully it makes the players more self aware of making sure they are not around the stuff , especially when some idiot has a phone and taking photos.
I can't believe how many of these fools get caught - Ginnivan the lastest , Smith last year , but there is a whole swag of them from Carlisle to injury prone high draft pick Sun / Docker

I'm sure all players have indulged in some type of illicit drugs - but don't get caught with it./ Brad Crouch and Stengle know.

It's not good for sure , but as I said before the AFL does not want the players being seen with drugs on social media full stop.
Just the wrong image they want.
Hopefully it makes the players more self aware of making sure they are not around the stuff , especially when some idiot has a phone and taking photos.
I can't believe how many of these fools get caught - Ginnivan the lastest , Smith last year , but there is a whole swag of them from Carlisle to injury prone high draft pick Sun / Docker

I'm sure all players have indulged in some type of illicit drugs - but don't get caught with it./ Brad Crouch and Stengle know.
Smith and gini different arguments.
Ban them!!!!! No issues there.

But the question (right or wrong) was did the AFL provide enough education 7-8 years ago when this supposedly happened
Oh don’t think I’m defending this…..just pointing out the differences between gini/ smith.

Same reason dusty got off for his grabbing a boob…..neither are right! Just hard to apply the same stance for historic incidents.

Smith and gini different arguments.
Ban them!!!!! No issues there.

But the question (right or wrong) was did the AFL provide enough education 7-8 years ago when this supposedly happened
Oh don’t think I’m defending this…..just pointing out the differences between gini/ smith.

Same reason dusty got off for his grabbing a boob…..neither are right! Just hard to apply the same stance for historic incidents.
If that is the case , he should be playing this week - they will just make the Pies or him say some sort of comment denouncing drugs and sl/t comments.

Hang on….what?

Don’t get me started on Eddie….since he hasn’t made a comment….let’s ignore that bit.

Here’s the funny thing.

Hypothetical: your best mate: 10 years ago shared some pics. It finds it way to you via a third party a week ago via the herald Sun . Are you cutting off your mate?

Just asking….
If he had AFL training OR there were AFL sanctions at the time for bringing the game into disrepute (eg drugs, disrespecting women or inappropriate physical pictures) he is gone!

If that is the case , he should be playing this week - they will just make the Pies or him say some sort of comment denouncing drugs and sl/t comments.
Yeah it would be a pretty crap scenario if he is suspended.
Basically saying “what you do now will be held over you for you 15 years playing afl…..no matter if the person sharing it doesn’t have your consent.

Having said that….expect a week!!!!! Because….you know….AFL :)

And how have you been playing?
Please….enlighten me.
Edit: if you bothered to read my post, yoh would have understood I wasn’t referring to how you are playing…but how your posters suggest you beat us.

Last time I checked the players will be playing the way the coaches have drilled them to play. Odd that you think that they would enmasse follow some BF posters instead.

As in the other games this will be using their running capacity to outnumber their opposition. Or at least this will be plan. How it goes remains to be seen of course.

As you are such a student of our game this year you will also have identified the other things that the players have been drilled to do, Most of which is not circa 2015.

Whether the Saints tag one player is only one aspect. Though Brayshaw ripped us apart last season, but did not in 2023.

As you have understood how the Saints have played and won games this season you should also have realised it was not by winning the midfield battle, but by winning elsewhere.

The coaches will have watched the Pies play and will no doubt try some tweaks. How well or not they work remains to be seen. One tweak already was to rest Marshall for most of last quarter quarter of the Suns game. RTB stated in his presser that it was always the plan to rest Marshall in the last quarter.

Overall I would not expect any major changes. Just tweaks. Gameplan and tactics wise I would expect the coaches to stick to how the team has played in the first 4 games. RTB has stated that he is playing the long game and it it is all about getting the team how he wants them to play on a consistent basis. Win/Lose/Draw you will not see wild swings from week to to week in gameplan/tactics. Using a tagger or not in any one game is just a tweak.

Yeah it would be a pretty crap scenario if he is suspended.
Basically saying “what you do now will be held over you for you 15 years playing afl…..no matter if the person sharing it doesn’t have your consent.

Having said that….expect a week!!!!! Because….you know….AFL :)
Yeah , but his record is pretty good - has never been in the limelight and seems a pretty good bloke / I hope he doesn't play because he is a good player and a consistent one.

How so?
Because the afl can prove he wrote those captions?
If on the balance of probabilities- absolutely! - do u think he will own up if he thinks he can prove reasonable doubt given the time that’s expired? No way!

Like all good lawyers what do u think the lawyers at the Pies are trying to do?

By the way this isn’t a Pies thing - all teams act the same way with a gun player!

Last time I checked the players will be playing the way the coaches have drilled them to play. Odd that you think that they would enmasse following some BF posters instead.

As in the other games this will be using their running capacity to outnumber their opposition. Or at least this will be plan. How it goes remains to be seen of course.

As you are such a student of our game this year you will also have identified the other things that the players have been drilled to do, Most of which is not circa 2015.

Whether the Saints tag one player is only one aspect. Though Brayshaw ripped us apart last season, but food not in 2023.

As you have understood how the Saints have played and won games this season you should also have realised it was not by winning the midfield battle, but by winning elsewhere.

The coaches will have watched the Pies play and will no doubt try some tweaks. How well or not they work remains to be seen. One tweak already was to rest Marshall for most of last quarter quarter of the Suns game. RTB stated in his presser that it was always the plan to rest Marshall in the last quarter.

Overall I would not expect any major changes. Just tweaks. Gameplan and tactics wise I would expect the coaches to stick to how the team has played in the first 4 games. RTB has stated that he is playing the long game and it it is all about getting the team how he wants them to play on a consistent basis. Win/Lose/Draw you will not see wild swings from week to to week in gameplan/tactics. Using a tagger or not in any one game is just a tweak.
Ok…:where to start…
Firstly: the defensive game works when you have time to get back. Given we simply “go” from HB, do you think you can set up?

You can if you never expected to win it at HF …but is that how your entire game is?
If you want to attack, you will be exposed if we win it.

Again: circa 2015 was in reference to your posters suggesting xyz would dominate fwd and abc would tag daicos….not what you do now.
Reference to outdated methodology. Same as pies board.

My opinion: stick with a defensive first game is exactly what we want!!! It will spend the entire night in your fwd line unless you win clearances!!! B agrees I’ve at us and force mistakes when outnumbered and you’ll win.
Welcome to 2023.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If on the balance of probabilities- absolutely! - do u think he will own up if he thinks he can prove reasonable doubt given the time that’s expired? No way!

Like all good lawyers what do u think the lawyers at the Pies are trying to do?

By the way this isn’t a Pies thing - all teams act the same way with a gun player!
Absolutely no idea!!!
Don’t know the details.

Just pretty crap that anyone can be held accountable for pics the a third party decides to share.
Plus captions which can be added by anyone,

I’d assume; in a court of law, that this would be thrown out in mere seconds due to the fact there is no way to know he wrote those captions.

Absolutely no idea!!!
Don’t know the details.

Just pretty crap that anyone can be held accountable for pics the a third party decides to share.
Plus captions which can be added by anyone,

I’d assume; in a court of law, that this would be thrown out in mere seconds due to the fact there is no way to know he wrote those captions.
My friend, u have lost me - u seemed like a rational bloke but reverted to ur brethren.

Gave u the benefit of the doubt but suggest Stick to the Pies Board please

Let’s see what unfolds re old Crispy & leave it at that.

Over & out. Enjoy your footy!

Last time I checked the players will be playing the way the coaches have drilled them to play. Odd that you think that they would enmasse follow some BF posters instead.

Whether the Saints tag one player is only one aspect. Though Brayshaw ripped us apart last season, but did not in 2023.

If Marshall gets dominance around the ground and you can find a way to exploit this, going to a be a big problem.

You small forwards are very dangerous and scary, it’s about how you get it In Their hands as often as possible. That’s going to be a key.

Ok…:where to start…
Firstly: the defensive game works when you have time to get back. Given we simply “go” from HB, do you think you can set up?

You can if you never expected to win it at HF …but is that how your entire game is?

LOL. You clearly have no idea how the Saints have been playing in 2023 then.

LOL. You clearly have no idea how the Saints have been playing in 2023 then.
please. Enlighten me as to how the saints have been playing.
And more importantly, how that wil trabslate to a successful defence against the pies?

I dare say you actually don’t know how the pies play…..

I’m intrigued in your response!!

For a guy that thinks he is an expert on how we play, and how our players play, you seem ignorant that one of Marshalls key strengths is his play, and often dominance, around the ground.
Lol. Isn’t that literally exactly what I said?
Based on what you highlighted?!?

I’m not sure you’re doing yourself any favours here…

I doubt that. You just came over here to swing your dick and do a bit of trolling.
Pretty sure your footy liking posters disagree.
Seems that anyone with a semblance of balance would enjoy my options and ideas…..whether they agree with them or not!!!
Isn’t that would this forum is about?!?

You seem to be the one making a fool of themselves.

I’m on another teams board. I apologies and I’ll leave now.
Sorry for offending anyone.

Matchups etc are just nothing we care about.

Again, I don't think that you have really watched and understood how the Saints have played this year. The St Kilda gameplan this year is all about creating an outnumber in our favour after the ruck contest through running power. It is not about matchups either. Do not mistake whether one player is tagged, or not, for the St Kilda gameplan in 2023. That is just a match by match tweak which may or may not be used.

Last year it was our wings in Wood and Dmac who ran back and forth supporting the forwards and backs. This season it is not just them, but is also our entire HB and HF lines who run back and forth. They also not not just do it on turnover, they are drilled to run early before things happen.

The coaches know that we may not win the midfield, and the way they have the Saints playing in 2023 is designed to to win the ball when have lost it in the midfield.

You seem to think that the Pies are the only ones who will run hard, and run hard they do. But so far the Saints have run harder both ways than their opponents. So yes the Pies game will be fascinating to watch in the running battle. But it will be a running battle, and not a match up battle, that will be key.

RTB said at his first presser that he knew little about the St Kilda list, but that the one ting he did know was that we had lot of good runners at the club.

He had the list trained over the pre-season to improve their running capacity even further. And he and the other coaches then developed the gameplan to exploit that running capacity. Based on what the footy media have reported we were the the best running team fitness wise in the AFL when the season started.

That gameplan is not just about players flooding back either. It is all about proactive running defensively, and offensively, to create outnumbers in the parts of the ground that we want to control. This creates a good defence, but also creates good offensive as well.

So go ahead and tag Nick,

As I said above while Nick may or may not be tagged, it is our running capacity and running gameplan that will more determine our fate in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back