Preview Round 5: Essendon vs Bulldogs, Marvel Stadium, Friday 12/04/24 @ 7:40 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

silk

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
At the start of the season, I heard Matthew Lloyd talking about how Essendon need to make finals and that the fans will run riot if we don’t.. **** OFF!!! This is the exact stupid attitude that’s held up back for decades. Essendon as a club has always been so scared of being truly shit, that we cling to shitty mediocrity to avoid it and we prove it time and time again. It was fitting the player from the 2018 draft beat us last night, as it was 2017 and 2018 that we threw out our future to avoid time at the true bottom of the ladder.

2016 should have been a chance for us to reassess and build a proper team, but old shortcut Essendon had the precious coteries to keep happy, who just couldn’t accept that it’s ok to be bad sometimes. Instead of building a proper team, we traded our future for 2nd raters.. I know it seems like I’m saying this in hindsight, but I felt it at the time two. None of the players we go were bad players, and we got some great games/seasons out of them, but it was the wrong play. To quote an awful person from the nineties “The Saga didn’t kill Essendon; Essendon killed Essendon.”

I’m actually not bothered by last night's result.. Cause it was the truth. I’ve always said this will be a shit season, and that that’s ok. Essendon is rotten to the core and that takes a long time to fix. I'm genuinely ok with Brad Scott talking about 5-8 years in the future. He knows what's up.

WJD9sr1NnzNsZhmG4OnxT9rVsKotOvo2oatiDC3FHn7yvZG_9BlYo44Lzwfu-XwPX5OyDI2I49VD-7BUSqekMkKhU6pDjUu1wFBBGvDobTf95TRflHKdAEkJcA9Rz53TmCgZsJ6IxT7fcpf65f1BsuA

The Round That Was

Putrid.. Just putrid. There are still so many gaps in our list.. And the question remains; development of drafting.. Or both? We looked so slow, and yet our skills were constantly worse and we were weaker at the ball. Rozze killed us and JHF dominated our of the middle.

There are only 3 positives from last night.. Ben Mckay proved he is someone you can build a backline around, Jones backed up last week with another decent performance, and Gresham showed a good knack for the goals.

Feel for Perkins, but we butchered the 2020 draft. He looked so slow last night, and in an attempt to keep up with PA did a hammy.. Essendon truly is cursed!

PORT ADELAIDE 4.0 10.3 13.7 17.9 (111)
ESSENDON 3.3 4.4 6.5 6.6 (42)

UeWw5Y6gLYi3TRkA8n_5AioyrB5ZQEV9DD6MAExBYjzRighSLk-WfvGc3am-LwAj_HHx-dLX4UcCp9JoWZ35q7YHKkqFyE5aypcJgByGItn4FkB4-VfbS-clTtIGvXwnwVlT5YsSh1dQyirOj4839Fg

GOALS
Port Adelaide: Rozee 3, Rioli 3, Finlayson 3, Byrne-Jones 3, Georgiades 2, Soldo, McEntee, Marshall
Essendon: Gresham 3, Stringer, Perkins, Jones

BEST
Port Adelaide: Rozee, Horne-Francis, Butters, Finlayson, Rioli
Essendon: Gresham, Merrett, McKay, Duursma, Caldwell

INJURIES
Port Adelaide: Boak (back)
Essendon: Perkins (hamstring)

SUBSTITUTES
Port Adelaide: Jase Burgoyne (replaced Travis Boak in the third quarter)
Essendon: Nick Hind (replaced Jye Menzie in the third quarter)
Crowd: 47,641 at Adelaide Oval

The dogs are still to play but I don’t give a shit about them anyways.

The Last Time We Met

This game last year Ridley was injured.. Ridley is injured currently. Ridley is officially injury prone.. Last time we got absolutely reamed, as usual. We are the Dog’s play toy.

b72EpDIpQOKa9Vw8il_B9jiMdn3xzgHP5igIrLzUzLPRiX5tcg-iyB8tkTkY3URYCGTW-FQezPs3ZTnaBsS5rF6T7cc8BCHIiWDXY9QbLesUU4_jUmTta0lsItNsx93BKZ7Hq53Y87Q1g9Vn712fwSU

ESSENDON 3.2 5.3 6.5 7.7 (49)
WESTERN BULLDOGS 1.3 7.5 9.7 13.12 (90)

GOALS
Essendon: Wright 3, Langford 2, Merrett, Guelfi
Western Bulldogs: Ugle-Hagan 3, Weightman 3, Bontempelli 2, Scott, Naughton, West, Baker, Treloar

BEST
Essendon: Ridley, Martin, Langford, Merrett, Parish
Western Bulldogs: Bontempelli, Liberatore, Smith, Treloar, Daniel

INJURIES
Essendon: Ridley (right quad)
Western Bulldogs: Nil

SUBSTITUTES
Essendon: Nick Hind (replaced Nick Bryan in the third quarter)
Western Bulldogs: Bailey Williams (replaced Oskar Baker in the final quarter)

Crowd: 43,634

The Selection Table

Possible Outs -

Perkins (Inj) -
Menzies - Not good enough but the who
Hind - Not good enough
Draper -
Cox - Can’t see what he brings to the team
Hobbs - So many dumb moments last night.. No wonder Dodo picked him up.

Possible Ins - (No VFL game this week)
Durham -
Caddy -
Hayes -
Archie Roberts -
Tsatas -
Bryan - Would have been better than Draper was last night.
Wish I could include the Daveys here as we looked slow as shit and need some pace, but neither did much of anything in the VFL.

My Prediction - The Dogs will make us their bitch again and the umps will be ****en shit.

Dogs by 40+ / The Game Day thread will be a hellish nightmare.

And yes, terrible AI banner image is back.

Last edited:
Cupboard getting pretty bare with Ridley & Guelfi out for extended periods + now Perkins…!!!
We need to shuffle the deck chairs around…
Give Hind a start, Heppell to SUB and let Redman play an attacking style wing we need more players to hit the scoreboard rather than relying on a few…
No harm in bringing in a couple of youngsters who will be fresh - I’d go with Roberts & JDavey

OUT: Perkins, Menzie, Lav
IN: Durham, JDavey, Roberts

Team;-

Kelly McKay McGrath
Martin Cox Hind
Redman Merrett Duursma
Caldwell Stringer Gresham
Draper Langford JDavey

Goldy Setterfield Parish

Bench: Durham Hobbs Roberts Jones
SUB: Heppell

Perkins for tsatas, menzies/hind for roberts.

Maybe cox for Hayes. Cox is pretty uncompetitive and looks way put of his depth. Would Hayes be worse?

I'd give most another week and our players a chance to respond against the dogs. It's round four and 2-2.

We need to bring in some more excitement and presence so caddy soon as well.

Unfortunately the rest in vfl haven't shown enough yet.

Cupboard getting pretty bare with Ridley & Guelfi out for extended periods + now Perkins…!!!
We need to shuffle the deck chairs around…
Give Hind a start, Heppell to SUB and let Redman play an attacking style wing we need more players to hit the scoreboard rather than relying on a few…
No harm in bringing in a couple of youngsters who will be fresh - I’d go with Roberts & JDavey

OUT: Perkins, Menzie, Lav
IN: Durham, JDavey, Roberts

Team;-

Kelly McKay McGrath
Martin Cox Hind
Redman Merrett Duursma
Caldwell Stringer Gresham
Draper Langford JDavey

Goldy Setterfield Parish

Bench: Durham Hobbs Roberts Jones
SUB: Heppell
So we’ve got either Kelly or hind on Darcy 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early ins/outs I would like to see:

Out: 1 of Heppell/Lav, Hobbs, Menzie, Perk, Draper

In: Roberts, Tsatas, Durham, Hayes.

Hind to get a full game. Stringer sub with midfield time when he comes on.

Hayes is a definite in for mine. Would be a good match-up on another young gun in Darcy.

Tsatas, Bryan and Davey in as well and maybe Roberts.

Perkins and Menzie are definite outs. This means you give Hobbs more exposure. Hind might get a reprieve to help negate dogs ball movement but I think Roberts is a sensible option instead. Kelly is on shaky ground but he might have a role to play. Zero Marks Bryan needs to hold a few more to get a game.

In: Hayes, Tsatas, Davey Jr, Roberts
Out: Perkins, Menzie, Kelly, Hind

St Kilda was a sugar hit………..last night was a reality check.

Play the kids. Bring in Tsatas. Play a couple Caddy, Hayes, Roberts and A.Davey to see where they are at. We gain nothing by playing the same team and getting the same results.
I am not against Roberts or Hayes. Their form has been good.

Tstatas could get a look in after he did the right thing and went back to the VFL and put his head over the footy and did not dog any contests but personally I want to see him play midfield in the VFL so he can play midfield in the AFL.

A Davey was horrible last week. Sheep dogging the outside of contests looking for easy possessions and not using his pace to run with the footy or tackle. His disposal ahs also been very plain.

Caddy has played the grand total of 1 1/2 games in 8 weeks and only lasted 10 minutes last week before his tooth was knocked out. He has no real form to be picked on.

So.
Roberts yes.
Hayes yes.
Tstatas maybe as he did do what he got dropped for not doing.
Bryan maybe but his around the ground stuff has been average. Tap work good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back