Review Round 7, 2015 - Brisbane Lions vs Port

Who were your five best players for the round 7 game against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no doubt that Port weren't at their best, but the most pleasing thing was that we were genuinely GOOD tonight. We played good, tough, skilful footy.

We would've troubled most teams in the competition with that performance today.
Came here to see pretty much this.

We did play badly, but you forced us to play badly. We were worked out and out-worked and we couldn't do anything about it.

You guys played genuinely well.

And that McStay is something special. Will be a superstar.

Id probably play Merrett in a game via the ressies first, just to blow the cobwebs out.. He has missed a bit of footy now. Andrews is probably the one to go back, but that doesnt matter. The boy has talent and there is no rush. He can still work on his game in the seconds and is good cover for us. Alternatively give Gardiner a rest. The bloke looks like he would do well from a week off to just ice up.

I agree with this, but I think it'd be hard on Andrews to get dropped in the form he's in. It's not just the marking either. He's unusually composed for a kid in a high pressure position, and he makes really smart decisions with the ball IMO.

Still, agree that he's probably the one to get a bit of time in the reserves.

If nothing else, it is probably a good idea to manage the amount of senior football he plays with a young body. That said, I think that applies just as much to Gardiner who is basically being held together with strapping tape at the moment.

Was at the game last night with my young fella and what I loved most was the Lions chant. Even tho it was a small crowd, the Lions chant towards the end of the game was so loud it sent tingles down my spine, was absolutely awesome from the faithul that turned out last night. Great win Lions!!!

Pretty sure I started it!

Though I'm sure someone else will claim similar!

The "Brisbane clap clap clap" brigade are the real enemy.

Last edited:

I started it!

Though I'm sure someone else will claim similar!

The "Brisbane clap clap clap" brigade are the real enemy.

Great work TBD. Yes I am in no way a fan of the Brisbane clap clap clap chant. It was good to see as the game went on it was slowly overwhelmed by the lions chant. Hopefully this is finally the death of the Brisbane clap clap clap chant or one can only hope anyway.

Great work TBD. Yes I am in no way a fan of the Brisbane clap clap clap chant. It was good to see as the game went on it was slowly overwhelmed by the lions chant. Hopefully this is finally the death of the Brisbane clap clap clap chant or one can only hope anyway.

We were also sarcastically singing and imitating the guitar riff from Never Tear us Apart in the 4th.

Was good to feel cocky for once.

Membership department keeps giving us free tickets to sit wherever we want on account of our section being no longer available next year. Sat up in the stands last night, wonderful view and atmosphere. Anywhere in ss 66-69 rows 1-4, perfect. Had previously been sitting row 2 on the fence. Still a good atmosphere but you really don't get a good sense of what's going on, well compared with up in the stands.

We're certainly gaining confidence down back at the moment with our marking. This was highlighted for me in the 4th quarter when the ball was kicked into the 50 down the wing by Port and Clarke had good position running over to the drop zone with a port player running backward after the ball. Clarke is a guy who has gone the safe option quite a bit while he's been getting comfortable with his role and I expected him to go the punch given there was pressure there, even though he was in the best position to take the ball. However he backed himself, went up for the mark and saved us a throw in inside forward 50. As we are gaining more confidence we're starting to try to mark these 70/30 style balls rather than just punch, which has a large flow on affect down the ground. Perhaps Andrews coming in and marking the ball straight away has given Clarke a bit more confidence to do the same straight away.

How good was it to have someone standing unmarked right on the opposition goal line!? They must have saved at least three goals last night by touching or marking the ball right before it went through. Great team thinking.

Something I noticed was that, in the first half, Port regularly had a man or two stationed well behind the Lions forward press - mostly Wingard or Schulz were comfortably deeper than the Lions' defenders. It appeared to me to be a structure based on an assumption that the Lions would either turn the ball over or Port would pick their way through the zone and spot the deep forward/s who would have 15-20 metres on their opponents. For once, our ball use wasn't deplorable and our defensive structure held up better than it has all year. That meant that the Lions 18 was effectively up against 16 or 17 from Port...a numerical advantage which manifested on the outside of the contest.

I dunno if it is a tactic Port use regularly or if it was a result of playing a lowly side but I don't think it worked. To Leppa and the team's credit, they stuck with their structure and didn't push a man back to mark the loose forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media and opposition supporters predictably like to focus on Beams and Rich and to a lesser extent Christensen and MRobbo, but really the best news coming out of the Gabba at the moment is the output from Andrews, Clarke, NRobbo, Taylor, McStay, Gardiner, Cutler, Aish, Green. A few more wins and we might start to see a bit of respect for what we are building.

James North TheBrownDog I'm assuming you guys sit somewhere up in the stands on that wing. A question I have, if the rain is blowing into the stand do people in the upper tier regardless of row get wet at all? Or its all protected?

James North TheBrownDog I'm assuming you guys sit somewhere up in the stands on that wing. A question I have, if the rain is blowing into the stand do people in the upper tier regardless of row get wet at all? Or its all protected?

I'm edge of 66, TBD is edge of 67. His rendition of "Never Tear Us Apart" was worth the price of admission.

We're about 8-10 rows back, so under plenty of cover ... but I haven't been there long enough to experience a huge downpour with crazy wind.

I'm in row G in that stand. Definitely no rain at all. Even in the wind.

Great viewing eh?

I'm edge of 66, TBD is edge of 67. His rendition of "Never Tear Us Apart" was worth the price of admission.

We're about 8-10 rows back, so under plenty of cover ... but I haven't been there long enough to experience a huge downpour with crazy wind.

Beautiful.

I'm in row G in that stand. Definitely no rain at all. Even in the wind.

Great viewing eh?

Yep. From ground level, especially with the 'slope' in the field, its hard to see whats going on and how the teams are necessarily setting up. This is especially so when a lot of the game seems to take place on the opposite wing (near the bench). I don't think the atmosphere changes at all but the view is amazing up top. As of last nights game I've finally won over the other ticket holder who was reluctant to go to the upper tier :)

Came here to see pretty much this.

We did play badly, but you forced us to play badly. We were worked out and out-worked and we couldn't do anything about it.

You guys played genuinely well.

And that McStay is something special. Will be a superstar.

He may well become a star, but not if he cops the blocking, holding and outright cheating he was subject to yesterday from bigger-bodies but less skilled lardheads.

Couldn't get a clear run at it for love nor money, bar the odd exception.

Not much good having umpteen umpires if they can't even spot the obvious.

This is where a bigger bodied assistant would come in handy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 7, 2015 - Brisbane Lions vs Port

Back