Review Round 7, 2016 - Port Adelaide vs Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Talking changes:
I know he's just in his second game but can Keays keep his spot ahead of Taylor or Green after kicking 0.4? Green would've converted most of the chances.
Someone tell McStay to try, Port somehow told Polec to do it
Out: Keays In: Green
Out: McStay In: Merrett
Out: Rockliff In: Taylor
Out: Beams In: Cutler
Out: Bell In: Robertson

Would also like to take Walker out but we have nothing to bring in

Knee jerk reaction or nah :drunk::drunk::D:D

:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

Would like to see a few little structural changes next week.
Andrews is so young and I reckon it is time to freshen him up by playing him forward and second ruck.
Just really unsure on Paparone out of the back line, he hacks the footy and isn't good one on one. Would hope that next week we find him up on the wing.
With Rocky out, we need to give Keays a chance on the ball, his endeavour was excellent, but his natural game is to hunt the footy, time to let him do it. Not into gifting games but I would like to see Dawson play as well. He is an excellent user of the ball, good hands and a good kid, should be played ahead of Harwood and Beams.

The other structural change I would hope to see is Bell moving into the centre square. We just need more grunt at the stoppage, our class in Rich and Hanley really don't have the grunt regularly enough for centre clearance work. Bell and Keays needs time in there.

He barely gets a kick at AFL level...4 kicks total in his past 2 games.

Guys I am just as frustrated as the next person but we have to accept that we are a young team and going to be inconsistent. Last weej we well an truly exceeded expectations this week we were pathetic.

Having said all this I also think in the aecond quarter when thr game was up for frabsthe umpiring was disgraceful. Schache held in our forward line no free. Harris held in their forward line free to them. Inconsistent deliberate calls. Frees to Port that I honestly had no idea about.

I don't know what I am more frustrated about...

The fact that we lost like that or the fact that Mark Riccuito and Gerard Healy somehow started talking about how much the Eagles are struggling this year, during our game.

I, just, can't...

I have a headache.

Yeah wow that was bad. Especially after a quality Q1 which was good enough to have us ahead by 2-3 goals. In reality it was only a couple of points. Maybe we dropped our bundle as a result of not getting reward for effort? Whatever the reason it was abysmal. Worst performance of the year.

It's probably best to preface the result by saying Port are the biggest downhill skiing team in the comp.

Beams is all class. Great to have him back but he sorely lacked support tonight. Our prime movers in Hanley and Rich were unsighted.
I thought Martin had a really poor game. Yes he won the hit-outs but for Trengove to have 13-14 clearances is embarrassing. Tonight's game is a classic example of Martin - receiving lofty praise for merely being a high-scoring fantasy footballer.
Gardiner's had a really good season and you couldn't fault his effort tonight but just gave away some really poor free kicks. Andrews too panicked a bit. Shows we really need Merrett to go around again and perhaps recruit another experienced back.
Also voted for Zorko but it was just him and Deams for me.

I'd like to see both McGrath, Robertson and Matho back in. Effort in the contest needs to lift and those guys will help set higher standards in that department. Also think Taylor comes straight back and so does Green. Leppa should wield the axe at selection table this week...

We are a decent chance for the spoon this year.......

Legit

I would've said that before the season, but now I think we'll snag enough wins at home to beat out the likes of Essendon, Carlton and maybe one or two of the Pies and Richmond and Gold Coast.

Well if you're going to do that, fully commit... Freeman!

Talking changes:
I know he's just in his second game but can Keays keep his spot ahead of Taylor or Green after kicking 0.4? Green would've converted most of the chances.
Someone tell McStay to try, Port somehow told Polec to do it
Out: Keays In: Green
Out: McStay In: Merrett
Out: Rockliff In: Taylor
Out: Beams In: Cutler
Out: Bell In: Robertson

Knee jerk reaction or nah :drunk::drunk::D:D

:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(
Nah persist with Keays he was ok tonight.

Paparone did get an honourable mention as being Mayes towards the end of the game.

Baffling how these buffoons get paid real money to talk rubbish.

Really could've used Merrett tonight. Would have steadied the ship down back and stemmed the flow of Port goals.

Moot point really considering the context of the game. If the mids aren't working forwards are going to get terrible and limited service. If the mids aren't working the defenders are going to get rolled.

I reckon our 2 x B&F and AA winning captain is A grade. Zorko is B to B+ grade IMO.
Just my opinion, but I don't think Rockliff is A-grade, even in his AA year, simply not damaging enough, he is very close though. Zorko is closer to an A-grader but and hasn't done too much wrong this year (ranked 14th in the comp I think), that was a silly kick into the middle late in the 2nd though :mad:

Amazing how Dayne Beams looks like he was never out for an extended period.

Bewick has put together some good games also. Hope he can continue his form. Loving his intensity.

My opinion of McStay has not changed. Lazy, lazy, lazy. I desperately want him to show something other than bags of goals in the 2s.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The "knowledge" that a teammate would be right there and moving for a quick handball that was working even when we were losing just wasn't there after quarter time. Players just stopped, people were getting caught flat footed and no one was thinking ahead. It was definitely back to the worst of last year, and it wasn't even really in reaction to pressure from Port. It was just bad decision making, time and again. Hopefully it's wet game + travel and wet game, but we'll have to wait and see.

The most disheartening thing about the loss was the fact that we were well on top in the first quarter but didn't capitalize. As soon as Rockliff got injured the run stopped and we all but gave up IMO. It really is the same old story from the same old players at our club. When we need the usual suspects to step up they are nowhere to be found.

I don't know what I am more frustrated about...

The fact that we lost like that or the fact that Mark Riccuito and Gerard Healy somehow started talking about how much the Eagles are struggling this year, during our game.

I, just, can't...

I have a headache.

Healy brought them up in defence of us re: non Victorian teams poor away form. Perfectly valid point if you ask me and as I said in the positives thread he was on our side.

Just my opinion, but I don't think Rockliff is A-grade, even in his AA year, simply not damaging enough, he is very close though. Zorko is closer to an A-grader but and hasn't done too much wrong this year (ranked 14th in the comp I think), that was a silly kick into the middle late in the 2nd though :mad:
Rockliff is the best decision maker and ball user under pressure in the team by a fair margin. Ridiculous to say he wasn't elite in his AA year.

Steph Martin and midfield group should be embarrassed. What a joke they dished up. Serious heat needs to be put on that group . They are not kids. They are a mature group of supposedly good players and yet they were exposed tonight as absolute hacks.

I know im going to get laughed at for the following but here goes......

Rucking is not that freaking hard. It involves only a couple of things. Firstly the ability to get a hand on the football. Secondly some communication with your midfield. I played a fair amount of ruck myself and most of the time I was undersized. But the days i had an oponent closer to my height where some of the most enjoyable days of my life. It was like Christmas time for me and my mids. Communication was the key... on my hip Glewy.... turning it behind this time..... punching forward lads...... we had a ball!

Anyways I'm just so dissapointed we got destroyed in an area we should have dominated. Just pathetic all round

I have nothing to say about that actual game as I will probably get a ban if I vent my frustration and anger so I'll just say that it really stung seeing Vossy in Port colours with a big grin on his face after that match.

Can I also just say that Riccuto is an absolute dickhead. It seriously pissed me off when he said something along the lines of "Robinson has been poor tonight, he hasn't belted any Port players though which has surprised me". It is as if he hasn't watched him the past year and a half since he's been at the Lions. To highlight his incompetence as a commentator he said in the final quarter "Harwood has been good today, he is a good young player. Once the club gets 60 odd games into players like him the Lions will be a much better side". Harwood has played 65 games Mark..........................

Rockliff is the best decision maker and ball user under pressure in the team by a fair margin. Ridiculous to say he wasn't elite in his AA year.
Yeah look he probably is, just have short memory as a result of my frustration, I feel like it has been ages since he has played his best footy. But even then would it be fair to say that he wasn't in the top 20 players in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 7, 2016 - Port Adelaide vs Brisbane Lions

Back