Review Round 7, 2016 - Port Adelaide vs Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Depending on how we go against Collingwood, we may have entered the next stage of our development.

Good at home, terrible on the road.

Shame we're not the Bulldogs. Could be 7-0 at this point.

I think we play Carlton and Essendon at Etihad, where we'll really see how terrible we are on the road.

Shame we're not the Bulldogs. Could be 7-0 at this point.

I think we play Carlton and Essendon at Etihad, where we'll really see how terrible we are on the road.

The advantage of 8 straight games in Melbourne and no air travel is nothing in comparison to the fact that a Western Sydney team once beat the Victorian team who won three flags straight.

One thing the gets on my nerve is Hitout stats with Stef Martin. Today apparently our mids should have taken advantage of Stefs "Ruck dominance". Stef is a horrible ruck (within the ruck contest) and merely just throws a hand at it. Thus any team could gain an advantage on his hitouts Which is why port didnt actually bother playing a ruck today. We need an effective ruck so bad

While tapwork has never been Stef's forte, he isn't that bad. First quarter he had 8 hitouts to advantage, but during quarter time Port adjusted their stoppage structure and we were never able to counter.

Another head down performance. Turned to shit as soon as rockys hammy went bang. The frustration of watching Sam Mayes struggle at HB and Pearce Hanley struggle at HF is horrible... perhaps a simple swap! just for a week leppa.

Bell shocking, must improve that kicking. Just about every kick was a blind shank up forward. Happy with Benny Keays, showed commitment unlike a fair few. Robbo still looked rattled from his head knock from last week.

I voted for Beams, Keays, Bewick, Harris and Zorko

Ch6-kaMUoAAwI3y.jpg:large

This is heart breaking, Chin up rocky we'll get there...

I am so, so disappointed with today's match and the outcome.

I was travelling through country Victoria attempting to stream the match with very little to no reception - so my observations are quite limited. I did listen to most of the game and watched the first 10 minutes of the last quarter.

Seeing (in pixelated and choppy parts) our first quarter dominance brought me to the highs of the previous week and the belief that our performance against Sydney was not just a once-off. I felt there was still some dysfunction up-forward with Walker struggling of late (and still quite young for a KPF mind you) and I felt we were wasteful with the opportunities we had (the scoreboard also indicates that).

With the retirement of our 10-year fullback in Clarke prior to the season, most of the urgency and focus of our recruitment has been on securing an elite backman to address our severe lack of experienced defenders. However, if we are to capitalise on this ostensibly star-studded midfield, we desperately need a developed power forward who can perform now. Without one, we are going to see a reverse scenario of the Brown-era, where we had the firepower but not the delivery.

As for Merrett going down before the match I believe it would be negligent of the club to merely put it down as a coincidence, and the issue requires further investigation (which I am sure is going to happen). His absence was certainly felt today with Dixon having such an impact, as well as the intangible advantages that come with being a leader and experienced head in that part of the ground.

Listening to interviews of Brisbane, Geelong and Hawthorn premiership players the one common theme that all three sides would note was their comprehensive spread of leaders across all parts of the ground. I distinctly remember a Geelong forward noting that although Harley was their captain, they reported to the likes of Steve Johnson who would coordinate their efforts and benchmark expectations for their role.

We are severely lacking genuine leadership across multiple lines of our football side and a delegation of leadership; this could easily be attributed as being a by-product of having extreme youth at either end of the ground. To see a rise up the ladder, we are going to our young players to emerge as leaders who can take stress off the captain and perform an informal delegated positional captaincy type role. Afterall, a club captain who is a midfielder can not be expected to coordinate efforts at both ends of the ground. That is where our leaders must step in.

This inability to compete at the 'benchmarked standards' (as identified by Leppitsch after the Sydney game) at away games is become a true concern that must be address. I feel we really need a 'line in the sand' game ala Jonathan Brown laying down the law before our clash with reigning premier Hawthorn at Aurora in 2009. This obviously stems from the leadership problems much of my post has identified.

As frustrating (and laughable) it is to see Rocky go down yet again, that is no excuse for the poor performance today. We (supposedly) have the cattle in the middle to more than cover his loss.

Time for the boys to stand up and make a stand against Collingwood. So many reasons for us to win this game and bounce back after today's unacceptable effort. Port really are a woeful outfit, and to be beaten so convincingly gave me a flashback to the thumpings of yesteryear.

Can anyone share their thoughts on how they felt Claye Beams, Mayes, McStay, Walker and Paparone went? I daresay it is these players who are on the chopping block for next week. Any noticeably poor or good individual performances today?

is there anywhere to see quater by qauter stats, would love to compare lions 1st to ports 2nd

When you are looking at D Beams you are looking at a elite mid.

He has poise, can weve through traffic, re-win the ball with a second effort, swoop through and scoop a clearance and fire off a hand ball in close.

We only have one elite mid. Our midfield is over rated.

Zorko is a good player, he has pace and dare and gets a lot of it, but is rushed and clumsy too often, he is a couple of tiers down - watching beams and the way he oozes class high lighted to me we have none else close to that level on thee ground.

A curious part of the match was that despite Stef's statistical dominance in the ruck, he managed to get pinged 4 times for a variety of infringements, the blanket "holding" the main one, if I recall correctly.

Why would the only genuine ruckman in either side need to hold/scrag part timers?

Watching the match, there didn't seem to be much in any of these "holding" calls.

I got frustrated as much as Stef obviously was.

There was one in particular in the last quarter, where Martin put his hand to his head in utter disbelief when pinged yet again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was one in particular in the last quarter, where Martin put his hand to his head in utter disbelief when pinged yet again.

That would be the one where Martin was blatantly being held, but the Port ruck dropped at his knees so Martin's return grapple slid high.

Danny daly is the midfield coach isn't he? I think he's got a fair bit to answer for, our structure in clearance and stoppage situations was woeful.

I am a patient person but the last 3 quarters were even too much for me. Very disappointed.
yep, i think i have been getting ahead of myself as a supporter after the win against the suns and the great effort v the swans. i for one will be holding fire until we win 2 or 3 in a row. if we happen to beat the pies on saturday night i will put a hold on my enthusiasm until after the following game v the dees at the G and the hawks the week after at home.

Wow, Sauce has reached GOAT-level status of whipping boy! Even when he's out he's copping the blame lmao some people really need their heads checked here.
The one way running of our mids after Qtr time was the reason we lost that pure & simple. Just needed a few of those behinds to be goals to keep that pressure up, the amount of time we're able to keep the ball locked inside our 50 is quite remarkable and when the forwards mature we'll be able to take full advantage of that.
Ugh what a shit-show though.

I stopped watching half way through the 3rd. I could see that we had stopped. Half way through the 2nd QTR every player was cooked. How the hell can professional players be cooked within 40mins. I know everyone here shares the same view but I am sick of the Lions being shit and uncompetitive.

yep, i think i have been getting ahead of myself as a supporter after the win against the suns and the great effort v the swans. i for one will be holding fire until we win 2 or 3 in a row. if we happen to beat the pies on saturday night i will put a hold on my enthusiasm until after the following game v the dees at the G and the hawks the week after at home.

Dees at the G? - we are figuratively light years behind Melbourne right now.

Danny daly is the midfield coach isn't he? I think he's got a fair bit to answer for, our structure in clearance and stoppage situations was woeful.

Stoppage coach - Blacky is our midfield coach .... but he was out with gastro ... and I think needs to check his personal hygiene if I'm not mistaken?

My baby just sneezed in my mouth. My personal hygiene may come into question depending on whether I get sick or not.

We are bracing ourselves for TheBrownDog to be a late out this Saturday night.

We are bracing ourselves for TheBrownDog to be a late out this Saturday night.

I think we can safely say in this case if he was out there he'd just stink it up anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 7, 2016 - Port Adelaide vs Brisbane Lions

Back