Preview Round 7, 2019: GWS v St.Kilda - Manuka Oval, Saturday 4th May, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Giants

Votes: 62 73.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GWS
W/C
Collingwood
Bloody hard run, I don't see us winning any of them :(

Collingwood look a lot better than us, to me the others are tiny chances but you wouldn't want to put money on it.

GWS
W/C
Collingwood
Bloody hard run, I don't see us winning any of them :(
Well if you've been in a tipping comp this year you'll know it's pretty likely we might actually upset one of those.

Freo beat Giants in Canberra, it's not an impossible task. They will be all tough games, but we will go into each game thinking we are a chance. Hopefully we get a win out of three.

I hate to say it but next week we will be out of the 8 and wont return for the remainder of the season. A number of our guys looked really sore yesterday and they dont find the consistent physicality of the game comes naturally to them. Our midfield will struggle against GWS. We will win some games in the back half due to an easier draw but our time in the 8 is done IMO.

Predicted finish 10-12th. Is that a pass mark for Richo time will tell I guess?
Talk about doom and gloom mate. We've got a tough 3 weeks but then we have a month of games where we'd really fancy ourselves. Could well be in the 8 after round 14 or so if the wheels don't fall off.

The thing is we are starting to get too many injuries and we don’t have the depth to cover them.
Geary is a big out and he won’t be back for a while.
Lonie’s pressure will be missed so whomever comes in will need to bring this as our game plan relies on it. We can’t have teams walk out of defence unhindered like yesterday. I don’t think Clark is the guy to replace him.
Our midfield remains a massive issue with no effective inside extractors.
Thankfully Roma looks like returning.

The thing is we are starting to get too many injuries and we don’t have the depth to cover them.
Lonie’s pressure will be missed so whomever comes in will need to bring this as our game plan relies on it. We can’t have teams walk out of defence unhindered like yesterday. I don’t think Clark is the guy to replace him.
He certainly isn’t but Gresh maybe

Fox Footy earlier saying Geary back at home and looking at round 11 return

Reckon Young would be spewing if misses out.
Lonies role suits him but if been a figjam then probs misses out.
Could do the "oh yeah, how good are you again? Alright 1 chance buddy or its Sandy for you."

Last edited:
Reckon Yoing would be spewing if misses out.
Lonies role suits him but if been a figjam then probs misses out.
Could do the "oh yeah, how good are you again? Alright 1 chance buddy or its Sandy for you."
Reckon if he misses out it will be form. Has been ordinary the last 2 I’ve seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He certainly isn’t but Gresh maybe
I feel we can cover Lonie , Geary is a bit harder - but we get Marshall back and Bruce 100% - we have a good chance to take it up to GWS.
Surely Hunter will be chanting at the bit to come into the side or whoever they select.
No one will convince me losing was just down to a back pocket and a half forward flanker , we can cover these positions.
The team just has to regroup.

This loss might well ignite the team to bigger and better things.

I feel we can cover Lonie , Geary is a bit harder - but we get Marshall back and Bruce 100% - we have a good chance to take it up to GWS.
Surely Hunter will be chanting at the bit to come into the side or whoever they select.
No one will convince me losing was just down to a back pocket and a half forward flanker , we can cover these positions.
The team just has to regroup.

This loss might well ignite the team to bigger and better things.
Love to believe that last bit but I reckon that’s for sides underperforming. We certainly aren’t doing that.

Talk about doom and gloom mate. We've got a tough 3 weeks but then we have a month of games where we'd really fancy ourselves. Could well be in the 8 after round 14 or so if the wheels don't fall off.

Its not doom & gloom its being realistic. A number of the players looked banged up and tired yesterday - already only 6 games in. I dont know whether you noticed but Adelaide showed the comp how to slice us up, its history repeating.

We wont beat any of GWS, WCE or Collingwood, Port, Geelong, Richmond or Sydney at home. I expect our percentage to get a pounding during those games. You can garuntee if we do get up and win an unexpected game the following week we will lose a game we shouldnt.

That leaves 8 other games we are a chance in and its fanciful to believe we will beat all the teams we are meant to, when the season is so even. So if we do ever return to the 8, it will only be a fleeting experience.

10-12th is a reasonable result I would have thought.

Its not doom & gloom its being realistic. A number of the players looked banged up and tired yesterday - already only 6 games in. I dont know whether you noticed but Adelaide showed the comp how to slice us up, its history repeating.

We wont beat any of GWS, WCE or Collingwood, Port, Geelong, Richmond or Sydney at home. I expect our percentage to get a pounding during those games. You can garuntee if we do get up and win an unexpected game the following week we will lose a game we shouldnt.

That leaves 8 other games we are a chance in and its fanciful to believe we will beat all the teams we are meant to, when the season is so even. So if we do ever return to the 8, it will only be a fleeting experience.

10-12th is a reasonable result I would have thought.
Geez, one week is long time in footy.

I've been saying it for a couple of years now that we need to have 3 marking targets in our forward 50 (Parker is good but not a genuine one). The first few rounds we managed to cope somewhat because let's face it the pressure wasnt applied by the opposition and when it was against Freo that bloke with the yellow hair (Nyhous?) took a ridiculous amount of Mark's and also agaisnt the hawks we were lucky due to Frawley and Stratton getting injured.

This week against the crows it really exposed us just like the Freo game when we cant move the ball forward and the style we play of kicking it to contest doesnt suit us unless Bruce and Marshall have really good games in clunking the ball.

The good teams have 3 marking forwards up front.

Richmond: Roo, Lynch and Caddy(plays like Membrey tall)
Eagles: Darling, Kennedy, Allen
Gws: Cameron, Himmelberg, Ried (again plays tall)
Crows: Walker, Lynch, Himmelberg
Freo: Hogan, Taberner, McCarthy
Lions: Hipwood, Mcstay, McIrnerny.

Collingwood play with 2 in Cox and now Mioceck but due to Cox's height it helps them out a lot. Even when we do play our 2 forwards in Bruce and Membrey, they are on the smaller end when you compare them to other teams.

Yes we are hit with injuries at the moment and Battle would be an ideal fit to be played forward, but due to Robbo being pretty much done and also Brown on his last legs we need to develop him into a defender unless we can trade in for some.

But to fair if we didn't follow the Saints we would say its pretty fair comment, i would/will be happy with a 10- 12th finish
I'd be disappointed with 12th to be honest, and I went into the season fairly pessimistic. In what looks like a very close season of footy, to finish 12th you'd end up with probably 9-10 wins, that's 5-6 wins from our last 16 games with a good run home.

I'd be surprised to see us make the 8, but I think we will still be in with shot of making it for a while.

Kidding arent you? After watching Armitage etc chugging around last year.

He only played Marshall because he had to - both Pierce & Longer were injured.

Long & Parker are both mature aged recruits and are automatic selections.

Paton has developed well in his 3rd season. Got a game when McKenzie/Geary were injured.

Battle has been sensational down back, but I doubt very much Richo can take the credit for that?

Hind hasnt played AFL yet?
Is it beneficial to play kids for the sake of playing kids. Yes some of them are in good form in the 2's however, other sides like Geelong and Hawks for instance ensure their kids are fully developed and ready to go after serving an apprenticeship so to speak. Look at Worpol for instance.
Just posing a differ perspective.

I've been saying it for a couple of years now that we need to have 3 marking targets in our forward 50 (Parker is good but not a genuine one). The first few rounds we managed to cope somewhat because let's face it the pressure wasnt applied by the opposition and when it was against Freo that bloke with the yellow hair (Nyhous?) took a ridiculous amount of Mark's and also agaisnt the hawks we were lucky due to Frawley and Stratton getting injured.

This week against the crows it really exposed us just like the Freo game when we cant move the ball forward and the style we play of kicking it to contest doesnt suit us unless Bruce and Marshall have really good games in clunking the ball.

Collingwood play with 2 in Cox and now Mioceck but due to Cox's height it helps them out a lot. Even when we do play our 2 forwards in Bruce and Membrey, they are on the smaller end when you compare them to other teams.

Yes we are hit with injuries at the moment and Battle would be an ideal fit to be played forward, but due to Robbo being pretty much done and also Brown on his last legs we need to develop him into a defender unless we can trade in for some.
The opposition taking marks has nothing to do with height. They aren’t contested marks. They are intercept marks due to poor kicking or our players not getting back to the forward line. Whether you have none or 6 that won’t change because no team has a stay at home forward.

Totally agree. In JLT i think the Paddy and Bruce as talls then Membrey as the next mid size to tall then the smalls fed off the spills. Looked much more dangerous.

Totally agree. In JLT i think the Paddy and Bruce as talls then Membrey as the next mid size to tall then the smalls fed off the spills. Looked much more dangerous.
That happened for 2 quarters out of 8. We have won 6 games out of 8 this year with pretty much the same forward line. And we have no options anyway so it’s a moot point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back