Meek - Newcombe - Nash
Amon - Worpel - Morrison

Moore - Lewis - MacDonald
Gunston - Chol - Ginnivan

Bench:
Hardwick - Maginess - Impey - Day

Sub:
D'Ambrosio

Maybe Mitchell could be the sub instead of D'Ambrosio, though I think Mitchell would be the best matchup for Papley, outside of Hardwick.

Edit: disregard, Mackenzie needs to play

Maginess goes to The Lizard.

Nash tries to put as much physical pressure on Warner around stoppages.

Not sure how we curb Gulden and Heeney, I think we just have to go head-to-head with them.

Last edited:

If Lewis gets up then hopefully this is the lineup:

Weddle - Frost - Mitchell
Sicily - Serong - Scrimshaw

Meek - Newcombe - Nash
Amon - Worpel - Morrison

Bench:

Sub:
D'Ambrosio

Maybe Mitchell could be the sub instead of D'Ambrosio, though I think Mitchell would be the best matchup for Papley, outside of Hardwick.

Not sure how we curb Gulden and Heeney, I think we just have to go head-to-head with them.
Team looks good except I'd have an extra runner and include Frenchie for Serong. Purely for matchups. I rate Swans midfield well above their forward line. Gunston can go back if required

If Lewis gets up then hopefully this is the lineup:

Weddle - Frost - Mitchell
Sicily - Serong - Scrimshaw

Meek - Newcombe - Nash
Amon - Worpel - Morrison

Bench:

Sub:
D'Ambrosio

No way does Frenchy not play.

I'd play Day as the sub, he's so bloody versatile and his skills + smarts will be invaluable as everyone tires. Not a bad way to ease him back in imo
Nah he needs game time, you start him and if need be you can sub him off later but he needs to play.

I'd play Day as the sub, he's so bloody versatile and his skills + smarts will be invaluable as everyone tires. Not a bad way to ease him back in imo
Better we ease Day back in by controlling the amount of time he has on the field. So if anything he gets subbed off when he has had enough.

Can’t play him as a sub unless we are prepared to put him in as early as 5 minutes in (if we get a game ending injury) and he then has to play nearly a full game.

Better we ease Day back in by controlling the amount of time he has on the field. So if anything he gets subbed off when he has had enough.

Can’t play him as a sub unless we are prepared to put him in as early as 5 minutes in (if we get a game ending injury) and he then has to play nearly a full game.
Agree we start him, but your logic above assumes best case scenario when Day starts (ie no injuries) and worst case if he is the starting sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This shits me so much. There is so much inconsistency with how long players are given. I reckon our players should count to 7 out loud in front of the ump when an oppo marks to keep them honest.

The other one is that often when the ball is held in under a player the ump blows his whistle for a ball up within half a second. And other times he puts the whistle away, waits and ends up calling a HTB. It’s nuts and creates huge advantages or disadvantages for sides at the contest.

I don’t think I can remember a period in the game like this where the umpire can make or break a club and or player in a game with a decision or non decision. And when it happens in a final or GF it will impact careers.
Didn't know if it was my own personal bias or not, but it seemed to me like we've been called to play on quickly this year as well - even if we don't move off our line. Getting a htb call has also been difficult for us (perennial problem highlighted by clarko way back).

ROUND 7 SQUAD
Hawthorn v Sydney
Sunday 28 April
MCG, 4pm

B: Jack Scrimshaw, Sam Frost, James Sicily
HB: Massimo D'Ambrosio, Jarman Impey, Karl Amon
C: Finn Maginness, Dylan Moore, Josh Weddle
HF: Blake Hardwick, Jai Newcombe, Conor Nash
F: Jack Ginnivan, Mabior Chol, Jack Gunston
R: Lloyd Meek, James Worpel, Cam Mackenzie

INT (from): Will Day, Seamus Mitchell, Mitch Lewis, Harry Morrison, Jai Serong, Max Ramsden, Henry Hustwaite, Connor Macdonald

In: Will Day, Mitch Lewis, Max Ramsden

ROUND 7 SQUAD
Hawthorn v Sydney
Sunday 28 April
MCG, 4pm

B: Jack Scrimshaw, Sam Frost, James Sicily
HB: Massimo D'Ambrosio, Jarman Impey, Karl Amon
C: Finn Maginness, Dylan Moore, Josh Weddle
HF: Blake Hardwick, Jai Newcombe, Conor Nash
F: Jack Ginnivan, Mabior Chol, Jack Gunston
R: Lloyd Meek, James Worpel, Cam Mackenzie

INT (from): Will Day, Seamus Mitchell, Mitch Lewis, Harry Morrison, Jai Serong, Max Ramsden, Henry Hustwaite, Connor Macdonald

In: Will Day, Mitch Lewis, Max Ramsden
I would guess Serong, Ramsden and HH miss from that interchange bench.

Ward not even part of the extended bench

We've obviously been very clear with him that he'll be having a block of games at Box Hill to continue to work on his game (looking like as more inside mid than outside).

I think this is spot on. Communication is key in situations like this.

In: Day, Lewis
Out: Serong, Hustwaite

Maginness the Sub?
I don’t think we can carry Gunston as a third tall forward as his man is likely to be used as a running outlet.

IMO Maginness should never be sub. He plays. Or he gets dropped.

Last edited:
I don’t think we can’t carry Gunston as a third tall forward as his man is likely to be used as a running outlet.

IMO Maginness should never be sub. He plays. Or he gets dropped.
Would much rather Gunners than Serong out of the team TBF. They have 3 big forwards and we looked better balanced last week with the extra tall back there. Lewis and Chol is what we should be going with. Blakey doesn't play like a tall he would run off Gunners at will. Need to match their run with the right matchups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back