Preview Round 7 - Brisbane Lions v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The smarter option would be to have Black at the opening bounce so it doesn't cost us any more 1st quarter fadeouts. If it happens take him out early rather than putting him on late.

Highly unlikely Black will be sub after the drubbing Vossy got last year against the Tigers, and the flack he copped last week leaving him out. Black will be in the centre for the opening bounce.
I would like to think that Voss will make that decision based on what is best for both Black and the team, not how the media would react to his decision.

I would like to think that Voss will make that decision based on what is best for both Black and the team, not how the media would react to his decision.

Yeah, and the outcry he got for playing Black as a sub was ridiculous anyway. 16 touches in just over a quarter is hardy a failure.

Yeah, and the outcry he got for playing Black as a sub was ridiculous anyway. 16 touches in just over a quarter is hardy a failure.

Yeah this is the same as all the Fox Footy Guys describing their shock at seeing Black in the ressies, same thing got said during league teams, "we all agree black shouldnt be playing in the reserves". That was just drumming up the anti Voss sentiment. black was in a slow return from a difficult knee injury with no preseason, of coarse the best thing for him is a few kicks in the 2's. good to see him back, we are not ready for like after black just yet. Hoping he is not the sub.

Just for something different to what others have said, which I mostly agree with, perhaps Merrett forward at points? Clarke on resting ruckman, Patfull on Kennedy, Lester on Darling? Doesn't seem feasible with Maguire out but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen for a little bit.

But hopefully we just play Bewick in that third tall role which he seems to excel at and go a more traditional setup, with Lisle chopping out in the ruck.

The Lester situation is interesting. Has shown he can play third tall at either end but he was sensational in the midfield for the most part last weekend. I spose the beauty is that he can be moved at will. With Masten and Kerr out I suspect he might play a bit less midfield than he did last week.

Raines to Shuey is the logical bet I think.

Mostly just spitballing though - keen for the game. I'm mostly realistic bordering on negative with this side but if it's close to even at quarter time I give us a good shot this weekend.

What's your gabba record against us?
Since 97, as the Brisbane Lions, both sides have won 7 games each at the Gabba, with us having won 4 of the past 5 games there.
I prefer the more favourable record of " since the start of the 2012 season, the Lions have won 100% of their games against that lot at the Gabba".:cool:

The smarter option would be to have Black at the opening bounce so it doesn't cost us any more 1st quarter fadeouts. If it happens take him out early rather than putting him on late.

it would be criminal (& excessive waste) to have black sitting on the bench as the sub for three-quarters of the game. i'm all for starting him & pulling him off later if he's had enough, & the jobs done.

we seemed to play our best footy last year when bewick was playing as that 3rd tall, for mind he has played alot more on the wing this year.
I hope even with raines and black in that Lester plays as a midfielder, and not as that 3rd tall,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One other thing I'd like to see this weekend, or any weekend:

I want our boys to be prepared to be tackled. If they see an opponent bearing down on them, don't immediately dish the pill off to anyone standing somewhat nearby. Get the arms high, take the tackle, and then give it off.

Forces the opponent to commit to the tackle, and gives your teammates an extra quarter of a second to find a little bit of space.

Comes back to confidence.

Don't worry Boys.
Talked to Voss.

I will cop the green for the team.
But when I sub its for a beer ;)

One other thing I'd like to see this weekend, or any weekend:

I want our boys to be prepared to be tackled. If they see an opponent bearing down on them, don't immediately dish the pill off to anyone standing somewhat nearby. Get the arms high, take the tackle, and then give it off.

Forces the opponent to commit to the tackle, and gives your teammates an extra quarter of a second to find a little bit of space.

Comes back to confidence.

Agree in that I think our young guys have got a bit gun shy on this.

Having said that, I also think that one of the areas our young blokes struggle with when coming into seniors is the difference in physicality and intensity compared to the NEAFL. They tend to think that they'll be able to stand in or break through tackles like they can at the lower level. I think you need more awareness and greater finesse at senior level. You can't simply run that bit harder to break the tackle - you need to assess options better. Sometimes that means riding the tackle, sometimes it means making quicker decisions. NEAFL conditions them to thinking that they will always be able to physically dominate their opponent which isn't always the case at senior level.

Agree in that I think our young guys have got a bit gun shy on this.

Having said that, I also think that one of the areas our young blokes struggle with when coming into seniors is the difference in physicality and intensity compared to the NEAFL. They tend to think that they'll be able to stand in or break through tackles like they can at the lower level. I think you need more awareness and greater finesse at senior level. You can't simply run that bit harder to break the tackle - you need to assess options better. Sometimes that means riding the tackle, sometimes it means making quicker decisions. NEAFL conditions them to thinking that they will always be able to physically dominate their opponent which isn't always the case at senior level.

I'm sure that's a big part of it, but I don't think that's all of it.

This really struck me as a feature of the NAB Cup grand final, the way our youngsters were prepared to take a tackle in order to set up a teammate. I think that's one of the reasons we got such good run from half back.

I suspect a lot of those same players are now looking to give it off as soon as possible.

I suppose you could argue that comes down to a difference in intensity between the NAB Cup and the regular season, but I still think it comes back to confidence. Players would be more willing to wear a rough tackle if they felt the blokes around them would capitalise on their hard work.

I'm sure that's a big part of it, but I don't think that's all of it.

This really struck me as a feature of the NAB Cup grand final, the way our youngsters were prepared to take a tackle in order to set up a teammate. I think that's one of the reasons we got such good run from half back.

I suspect a lot of those same players are now looking to give it off as soon as possible.

I suppose you could argue that comes down to a difference in intensity between the NAB Cup and the regular season, but I still think it comes back to confidence. Players would be more willing to wear a rough tackle if they felt the blokes around them would capitalise on their hard work.
I think that is the key word.
They have obviously been told to play on quickly and at times they have been giving off a handball to a mate in much worse position and more pressure when not under any real pressure themselves. Composure is probably hand in hand with that. This same issue explains the high bombs into the forward line. I like that they are going long a lot but too often it is blind and hurried. This is why they need to work harder to find space and be ready to close it in the case of a turnover.

Just got home from training this morning and these are a few things I noted.
  • Was just the main squad of 25 this morning so no reserves except for Ace that I could see.
  • A LOT of talk during a handballing drill, way more than usual.
  • Merrett was working exclusively with Clarke in a contact drill and Patfull and Yeo were doing the same
  • Moloney and Lester were working together on a tap and handball drill (so I see Lester spending a bit of time in the guts with Moloney)
  • They did a few kick out drills with Ash doing a lot of the kicks
  • Practicing a fair bit of goal shooting as well after Ash or Doc would kick it out to them
  • Brownie was practicing his goal shooting down the other end alone
  • Zorko, Redden and Hanley spoke to Voss for a good 10 minutes while the boys warmed down
  • Roughly an hour long training session so not much else to speak of
Any questions just ask and I'll do my best to reply!

Did it look as though Jack Black was going to follow Simon Black's ruck tradition?

They'd never see it coming!

I'm afraid he's got a little too much around the mid section to get any air time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back