Autopsy Round 8, 2022: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I know some or more than some will be negative but that was about our standard. We couldn’t have tried anymore. Just lack the skills of a fantastic side. Still have 4 or 5 players not ready or will never be good enough. The only way we could beat them was us to be at our clear best and them to be 20% off. They were 100% on. Not bad signs at all for the Geelong game

Melbourne way too good. Got a good run with the umpires, but when you are playing better football, that's what happens.

We couldn't stem the run on in the second.

Mids pretty well beaten. Seb the best for us in the mids.
Howard and Hill both good. Long tried hard.

Hill back on a wing, Billings forward, Wood put.
Hunter in someone? NWM.

Given Jones looked off the pace still even though he played 3 VFL games I'd at least give Hunter a second. Butler looks to be out so that means Long forward to me. Billings in. Byrnes in but not sure of the second out. Perhaps 'manage' Nas as aside from a few flashes he struggled to get into it. Thought Wood was good in spite of some questionable decision making tbh. Provided an option on the wings.

Honestly didn’t know what to expect.

I think obviously I’m hind site our game plan in the first Q was wrong. The inability to try and move the ball faster killed out forward line. That gave them a quarter head start.

Melbourne are a good team. Their set up on the wings and in the middle is elite. I’d chuck a tag on Langdon next time. He slaughtered us.

Dissapointing games from Steele and Sincs. The pressure got to them imo. Fair fee missed tackles to.

Overall I think our inability to
1 . Take the switch/move the ball faster
2. Lockdown in the centre cost us.
Umpires suck as well so many jokes of a decision. I’d love to know how May gets away will mauling Max at every stoppage.

Ultimately i have not changed my tune on us.

I still think Mel is the only team we atm can’t beat.

Over the least few years, we’ve broken some bogey team curses, WC, BL, PA and Sydney.

The boys know them beat any team.
We need a strong bounce back next week hopefully Hunter comes back and then we arnt as reliant on Sincs being at HB.

I’ve said it before I

Next week will be the test to see if we are actually any chance of being a top 4 side

Unfortunately at the moment it's a race for 2nd. No one is close to the Dees.

Poor kicking last week cost us the chance.of still being 6-2

I'm keen to see how we go against the Cats
Expecting another 5 goal or so loss honestly. We are in with Collingwood Carlton and the Bulldogs for the the bottom spots of the eight.

Thankfully turned it off after quarter time. Checked the results and doesn't look like we put up much of a fight throughout.

Not surprised or anything. Thought we'd finish in the bottom half of the eight and that's where it seems like we'll land. Anyone suggesting the expectation was top 4 has lost it. We'll be lucky to get past the first week of the finals IMO. We are not good enough and basically making up the numbers. Hard to see us challenging seriously this year. Make the aim finals and tick it off as progression, and then move onto 2023 because it's not going to happen for us this year.

I still think we are a chance at top 4 but can't play a first half like that if we want to, there aren't many sides in it that are really good still. We lost to Melbourne who are supposed to be unstoppable by what should have been 4 goals but blew out to 6 or what ever it was due to a couple of very questionable decisions that could have gone our way first.

It will seriously come down to hardening up mentally. We were overawed by them early and didn't play our game. If Port or percentage hold us out I'll be majorly ****ed off. Jones was pretty terrible and fumbled heaps, Membrey and Steele were both awful, King and Snags terrible, Marshall shit, Dmac below his best, Wilkie and Webster meh. Hill was okay, Seb okay, Crouch okay, Gresham meh. Basically we nearly got back into the game playing absolute shit footy.

Expecting another 5 goal or so loss honestly. We are in with Collingwood Carlton and the Bulldogs for the the bottom spots of the eight.

Freo, Melbourne and Brisbane all look top 4. There is a spot there if we want it.

Crouch did well to be our best mid today laid the tackles when no one else could. Tackling overall was quite disappointing, lots of saints just shrugged off their opponents or brushed aside. Nvm holding the ball we could barely even force a stoppage with our tackles.

Ross was his consistent self from this season but impressed me in the third as we made our charge. It was him storming out the middle and getting clearances. Nasiah was great today again. He’ll keep building each match. His little fake and double step on the Melbourne player on the boundary before kicking lace out to a saints player was so good even the dees fans applauded

Second quarter against GWS, last quarter against GC, a lot of the game against Port, first quarter today against Melbourne the run and carry was not at the level required.

We had to outrun Melbourne today and we failed. Far to often they had players running into space and in support to create the outnumber. The team needs "buyin" from everyone if we are ever going to contend.

I also firmly believe Howard is a dumb footballer. Would be amazed if he passed 'average' in an intelligence test.

In the off year i am all for trading any names regardless of status if that gets us an Ed Langdon type.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bold from someone who didn’t watch champion
Looked like a pretty comfortable win for them, never were behind. +19 contested possession is a good metric for how easily they found it today. We looked good for about 10 minutes in the first quarter, can't read into too much after that. Cue in the rack and ease on to a comfortable 40 point win. Looked like it was going to be 100 after the first 20 minutes haha

Honestly they probably eased off the gas after heading towards a 100 point demolition
Didn’t you say you didn’t watch the last 3 quarters?

We completely changed the way were playing (which was painfully obvious at the ground wasn’t working) and they didn’t look like they eased off at any point.

Look was an obviously shit loss. Felt worse than a full flogging almost. They just completely beat us around the ground and cruised through without trying.
Langdon beat us around the ground. the Dees midfield just kicked and hoped. Their backline is alright without being great, Brayshaw was clearly the best out of it.

Looked like a pretty comfortable win for them, never were behind. +19 contested possession is a good metric for how easily they found it today. We looked good for about 10 minutes in the first quarter, can't read into too much after that. Cue in the rack and ease on to a comfortable 40 point win. Looked like it was going to be 100 after the first 20 minutes haha
There was a great 10-15 minute patch in the third. Watch it cause all our highlights were there

Didn’t you say you didn’t watch the last 3 quarters?

We completely changed the way were playing (which was painfully obvious at the ground wasn’t working) and they didn’t look like they eased off at any point.
That's right, it was heading towards about a 15 goal thrashing. After the first 10 minutes we looked finished. Easy to say we played better afterwards after letting them have a 40 point head start

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 8, 2022: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back