Autopsy Round 8, 2022: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Elite pressure is completely nullified by umpires not awarding holding the ball or throws. And then giving cheapies the other way.
Membrey needs to be better. Poor for a leader.
Wood look like Tarzan…
Need more players with mongrel and the aggression to use the momentum.
Windhager kicks his first goal and no one gets to him.

Theirs to lose.
Can't see it happening really. They look like they are in a league of their own. What's that now, 15 straight for them? They are cruising. Brisbane the only threat but Brisbane have a history of bumbling good chances in Fagan's tenure, I can't see them beating Melbourne at the G. Would take a incredible collapse from here. Hopefully they all get COVID during the finals because that's all that is holding them back.

We didn't miss Butlers pressure at all once he went off. Think it's time for the twos for him, and I was one of his biggest advocates. Needs to learn how to pressure AND kick a goal every week.

At the moment he's just a passenger.

On Pixel 4 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lol, isn't Butler rated as the best pressure forward in the competition.

I don't know if we will but we are in the pool and good enough. Just have to get better at overcoming sides around our level.
Yeah we obviously lost to the demons and based on todays performance lose most times out of 10. But if we just lift a little and settle our nerves there’s no reason we can’t beat other sides.

Freo we beat, hawks we smashed, Richmond we beat. Carlton will be an interesting one that dictates how the media rate us.

I don’t think we lost any respect from neutrals this match. A pretty similar result to most that play the Dees. We didn’t get smashed so we’re on par.

Probably can’t win the flag against the dees but if we make it there and someone’s upset them on the way I think we could beat anyone else on our day.

Can't see it happening really. They look like they are in a league of their own. What's that now, 15 straight for them? They are cruising. Brisbane the only threat but Brisbane have a history of bumbling good chances in Fagan's tenure, I can't see them beating Melbourne at the G. Would take a incredible collapse from here. Hopefully they all get COVID during the finals because that's all that is holding them back.

They are very good but not that good. They are maybe 10% better than everyone else. The best sides rarely win in the history of footy anyway. The 10% is probably the confidence that winning one gives you. They play team footy which we need to learn a bit more of but they are very beatable still.

Learnt a lot about ourselves today. Blew it tactically at the start.

Play our own game and I think we can match it with them - try and be cute and they demolish us. I think we just need to go fast and maybe just maybe play one of King or Marshall higher up in the forward line.

Mtached them in the centre clearances and won enough of the stoppages to give ourselves a chance but were very poor in our execution. The amount of times we missed targets (Melbourne pressure or our poor ball skills?)

Jones was OK but was pretty rusty, NWM needs a break, 9 possies from the wing is simply not enough.

I'm becoming more convinced that players who actually attack the ball hard and don't throw their heads back at the slightest of contact are the players the AFL likes the least. DMac I'm looking at you you poor bugger!!! Playing as you do, you will never get a high contact free kick!!

I know King and Marshall kicked 2 goals but 3 marks between them is a very ordinary performance.

You said "Theirs to win." I corrected you. It's theirs to lose. The only way they don't win it is they find a way to throw it away,
apart from a catastrophic run with injury and suspension.

You said "Theirs to win." I corrected you. It's theirs to lose. The only way they don't win it is they find a way to throw it away,
apart from a catastrophic run with injury and suspension.
Thank you, Semantic Sun

This annoyed me. That should have ignited us. I had to doubt myself whether it really was his first goal
An indictment on where we’re at as a team unit. No leadership.
I don’t think Steele is excelling in the captaincy, and we don’t have an imposing figure to look upon like we were once spoiled with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think Steele is excelling in the captaincy, and we don’t have an imposing figure to look upon like we were once spoiled with.
Ideally i wouldn't have Steele as captain. But who else could fill that role?

Membrey could I guess but I don't think he'd be any better.

They are very good but not that good. They are maybe 10% better than everyone else. The best sides rarely win in the history of footy anyway. The 10% is probably the confidence that winning one gives you. They play team footy which we need to learn a bit more of but they are very beatable still.
I don't think they've hit 3rd or 4th gear yet. They are cruising on and making light work of every side in it. Whenever they play Brisbane will be a good game, if they win that comfortably it's over. Injury permitting they will win the flag and win it easily. Can't see how they are beatable but of course that might be because I didn't watch the game ;)

Our B Grade midfield was found out today. You can’t criticise the effort but a midfield that includes Crouch and Ross will only get you so far. i Thought our defence was really solid today, and Paddy Ryder in the ruck broke even with the best ruckman in the competition. The effort was there today, but I’m afraid we are not good enough to compete with the top 6 teams in the competition.

In season yes in finals anything can happan

We got taught a lesson today or got an audit as David King would say by the best team in the comp and showed what areas we need to work on.

To our credit we got back into the game after we got blown away early but you can't concede that sort of lead to a team as good as Melbourne.

Even when we got some momentum swinging back our way in the 3rd quarter we didn't take our chances while they kept taking their chances,'

The umpires didn't do us any favours but we didn't do ourselves any favours either with our turnovers by hand and foot and wasting shots at goal.

Disappointing loss but we showed we can compete with the Dees if we can improve our clearance work, fix up our disposals and kick straight at goal.

A lot of our players were below their best today too, not many enhanced their reputations but I thought Long was great today, one of his best games.

Hopefully we get Billings back next week, we could use his class, one of our few players with good disposal skills.

Yep. I’m absolutely not doubting his playing ability. He’s heads and shoulders our best player. But from what I’ve seen and heard of him hid approach to leadership is simply to “lead by example”. Run harder, hit harder, tackle harder and hopefully inspire the team to go with him. He’s admitted he’s not the best verbally at leadership or lifting the team. That’s what gears took responsibility for. Leading by example doesn’t work if you have an off game or just don’t have the capability to lift in a moment. You can’t always get 35 touches and 7 tackles. Need a plan b of captaincy

Our B Grade midfield was found out today. You can’t criticise the effort but a midfield that includes Crouch and Ross will only get you so far. i Thought our defence was really solid today, and Paddy Ryder in the ruck broke even with the best ruckman in the competition. The effort was there today, but I’m afraid we are not good enough to compete with the top 6 teams in the competition.
Thought Seb was good.

Ideally i wouldn't have Steele as captain. But who else could fill that role?

Membrey could I guess but I don't think he'd be any better.

Why not have the co captaincy. Obviously geary is gone as a playing option but Steele and him worked perfectly as the silent lead by example skipper and the vocal morale booster.

A similar dynamic if we could find it would be perfect

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 8, 2022: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back