Preview Round 9 2017: Collingwood v Hawthorn, 20th May 2017, 7:25pm @MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not so much the form lost than the experience here that hurts. Frawley and Stratts are both extremely experienced defenders. Yes, there have been times when they look bad (Frawley's attempts to spoil) but Clarko values experience. That's probably why they haven't dropped Gibson despite shocking form; he knows the structures and his role.

But suddenly we have to flood the backline with younger guys. Our tallest backman in the current side is now Burton at 191. Like for like, Brand and Heatherley should be selected but while it's great for supporters to watch the development of kids it would be a coaches nightmare having to substitute 332 games of experience in the backline with 16. We also have Burton (11) and Hardwick (6) back there with Birchall (243) on the sidelines. That's a massive vacuum for both experience and structure.

But if Hodge and Burgoyne move to the backline the midfield suddenly becomes a vaccum. With Lovell, O'Rourke and O'Meara on the sidelines the next in like is Cousins and Willsmore. Both have played 0 games. Sheils and Langford -who have had less than stellar seasons - have even more responsibility. We're going to break Tom Mitchell's back.

So it'll be interesting to see if we simply flood the side with youth (Stewart, Cousins, Heatherley etc.) or perhaps go with some abstract inclusions (Shoey, Whitey, Sic) to supplement the loss of experience.

Personally I'm all for seeing the youth but I know it's not that simple. One or two young kids included is great for the future. Too many and you suddenly become Carlton.

Coll, Syd Port Suns Adel Coll Giants cats

Brands going to be OK for some but some mature bodies will be needed. Either Shoe in or Rough to the backline, meaning a tall required forward

Thats my team

B Hodge Brand Hardwick
HB Burton Gibson Burgoyne
C Smith Mitchell Hartung
HF Bruest O'Brien Henderson
F Gunston Roughead Puopolo
R McEvoy Howe Shiels
INt Langford, cousins, Stewart Vickery

Em Sicily , Heatheley, Whitecross

Last edited:
Coll, Syd Port Suns Adel Coll Giants cats

Brands going to be OK for some but some mature bodies will be needed. Either Shoe in or Rough to the backline, meaning a tall required forward

Never put Roughead in the backline again.

He's alright as an extra dropped back late in games, but actually manning up on a key forward hasn't been his thing since 2006.

Out: Rioli, Stratton, Frawley, Fitzpatrick
In: Brand, Duryea, Whitecross, Stewart

FB: Hodge - Brand - Gibson
HB: Hardwick - Burton - Duryea
C: Smith - Shiels - Hartung
HF: Breust - O'Brien - Gunston
FF: Puopolo - Roughead - Stewart
R: McEvoy - Mitchell - Burgoyne
IC: Langford - Whitecross - Howe - Henderson

EMG: Schoenmakers - Sicily - Cousins

That's what I got. Wouldn't be too surprised if Clarko brought in Schoe/Ty as forwards and played O'Brien at CHB for a while.

Ins: Brand, Heatherley, Whitecross, Stewart

B: Hodge Brand Heatherley
HB: Burgoyne Gibson Hardwick
C: Smith Mitchell Hartung
HF: Gunston O'Brien Henderson
F: Bruest Roughead Stewart
Fol: McEvoy Sheils Burton
Int: Howe, Langford, Whitecross, Puopolo

• Brand for Chippa. Has height and a good reach that can go against Moore/Cox. Tough to ask him to be #1 defender but really we have no choice.

• Heatherly for Stratton. Heatherley is constantly asked to play against guys 5-10 centimetres higher than him at BH and this season he's starting to beat them. Strength not an issue. Can also be a linkup defender running through the middle ala Birchall. Best defender at BH (I'd argue better than Brand)

• Hodge and Burgoyne across halfback to fill experience void and keep the younger kids calm. Screw it, move Burton to the midfield and give the kid free reign. See if his wish to play midfield has true merit.

• Whitecross for Fitzy. Not like for like; O'Brien rucks against Moore. Whitey moves across the backline to 1) combat smalls, 2) provide experience and 3) recapture the desperation he showed in 2016 when given the chance. Howe also moves across halfback to assist. Henderson should stay at half forward unless necessary.

• Rioli for Stewart. Stewart to hound Collingwood defenders into making mistakes. Allows Bruest/Poppy to have some midfield time.

We could probably get away with Duryea in for Stratton. He could play on Hoskin-Elliott, Fasolo or Elliott.

Collingwood tend to play two key forwards, I think Brand, Gibson and Burton could cover them.

The main two average:
Moore .8 goals a game.
Cox .5 goals a game.

While White and Reid are injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the only good thing to come out of this is the kids will get extended game time and will show us all whether they are going to make it or not in the big league

the only positive i can see out of all this - but just reminds me of 2009 all over again. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

We could probably get away with Duryea in for Stratton. He could play on Hoskin-Elliott, Fasolo or Elliott.

Collingwood tend to play two key forwards, I think Brand, Gibson and Burton could cover them.

The main two average:
Moore .8 goals a game.
Cox .5 goals a game.

While White and Reid are injured.
Duryea is injured.

Out: Cyril, stratts, Frawley, Fitz
In: shoey, brand, wx, cousins

Shoey over vickery only because offers flexibility in case brand is getting done. Cousins in as michell needs support. Wx can also rotate into midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back