Preview Round 9 2017: Collingwood v Hawthorn, 20th May 2017, 7:25pm @MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frawley (turf toe up to 8 weeks), Stratts (bone bruising in knee 4-6) and Rioli (PCL 8-12) all extended stints on the sidelines.

Backline has been decimated

Backline is already poor, perhaps the forced outs will see some young guys emerge. I think it's a upgrade with Brand coming in for Frawley, I can't see how Chips form was superior to Brands in any way in the games they have played. Doc or Whitey will come in for Stratts and hopefully we see Cousins get promoted this week and plays, I think that would be a big positive to see a kid who's game translates to the elite level get a chance to play.

Backline is already poor, perhaps the forced outs will see some young guys emerge. I think it's a upgrade with Brand coming in for Frawley, I can't see how Chips form was superior to Brands in any way in the games they have played. Doc or Whitey will come in for Stratts and hopefully we see Cousins get promoted this week and plays, I think that would be a big positive to see a kid who's game translates to the elite level get a chance to play.
I reckon our defence has had good moments recently. Frawley is a big loss for experience. No Birch or Strats either.

Gibbo is our only experienced head other than Hodge and Burgers.

I would think there is zero chance of Cousins getting a game this week since we already have four changes to make due to injury, and he is not a replacement for any of them.

Losing Frawley and Stratton for a long period hurts, even if they weren't playing their best football in recent weeks. Wish them a speedy recovery.

The caveat? Heatherley and Brand should now get opportunities that they otherwise would not have. Heatherley has been fantastic at Box Hill level, and Brand was harsh to be omitted in the first place.

Sizzle actually probably needed the break from a mental perspective. He's really only been good in 1 game this year and is lacking the normal manic pressure.

So we'll be starting with one of our weaker sides in a while. But it'll be good to see how younger players that should get opportunity now stand up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Season is done now, if it already wasn't.

Pretty excited to see how Brand goes against opposition number one forward each week. He's in for some tough tasks but this could make him. From what I've seen of him, he's definitely AFL standard and I've been mystified as to why he's not being selected.

There may be some more heavy defeats but looking forward to seeing kids progress and some new blood coming in.

I reckon our defence has had good moments recently. Frawley is a big loss for experience. No Birch or Strats either.

Gibbo is our only experienced head other than Hodge and Burgers.

I think Brand more than covers Chip, he has far less brain fades. I will give Chip credit, against the worst oppo since Fitzroys final year he looked pretty good.

Stratts is a bigger loss for me, he is such a great utility, able to take talls and smalls. Doc or Whitey will come in you would think, but on Cousins... Seriously what does one have to do to get a game? Fitz got a game on apparent form, well if form is the key ingredient then Cousins has to play, it also gives Tom some support as well.

Out: Frawley, Stratton, Rioli, Fitzpatrick
In: Brand, Cousins, Stewart, Sicily

I think KB can do the job on Moore, and a combination of Hodge/Burton/Gibson can looking after the second tall.
With Hodge and Burgoyne missing midfield minutes Cousins can pick up some of the slack.
Sicily needs to play to keep J. Howe accountable in the air. D. Howe may have to play Strattons roles also
Stewart to try and play Cyrils role, but hopefully with more tackling and defensive pressure.

I still think we beat Collingwood going in with this side...
Out - Frawley Rioli Stratton Fitzy
In - Brand Stewart Heatherly Whitecross
B Hodge Brand Hardwick
HB Burton Gibson Henderson
C Smith Mitchell Hartung
HF Bruest O'Brien Burgoyne
F Gunston Roughead Puopolo
R McEvoy Howe Shiels
I Langford Whitecross Stewart Heatherly

how does this look?

B: Hardwick - Brand - Duryea
HB: Hodge - Gibson - Burton