Preview Round 9 2017: Collingwood v Hawthorn, 20th May 2017, 7:25pm @MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in one weekend we lost Frawley, Stratton, Surman and Nash....Lucky we still have Brand!

Play Sicily in defence also...or maybe bring in morrison. Or glass....Stewart in for Rioli. Whitecross in for stability and utility.

What happened with Nash??

As disappointed as I am that we have players injured - I can't help be a little excited that players like Brand, Howe, Heatherly and Hardwick will all get a decent run in the seniors to show us what they're capable of. Also a chance for Willsmore and Stewart to fight it out for Rioli's position. May also create a space for Morrison and Cousins to step up.

Silver linings and all that.

As disappointed as I am that we have players injured - I can't help be a little excited that players like Brand, Howe, Heatherly and Hardwick will all get a decent run in the seniors to show us what they're capable of. Also a chance for Willsmore and Stewart to fight it out for Rioli's position. May also create a space for Morrison and Cousins to step up.

Silver linings and all that.
It's the one positive from the year. The anti Hawthorn trolling at the start of the year was chock a block of "you have no decent young players". It was stated without a decent knowledge of how we go about it - we hardly ever send in players in their first three years or so. TOB, Hardwick and Howe are all examples of players who are ready.

Bloody hope there are more examples though!

Last edited:
Three MASSIVE losses in personnel, so much experience and talent there to be replaced.

Exposing vastly less experienced players all at once will always be fraught with danger. You can very easily kill off any sort of confidence they have in their abilities should they be beaten week after week.

Hopefully we have enough in reserve to cover these losses and the remaining experienced blokes take on that added responsibility to set the tone for those less experienced players around them

Three MASSIVE losses in personnel, so much experience and talent there to be replaced.

Exposing vastly less experienced players all at once will always be fraught with danger. You can very easily kill off any sort of confidence they have in their abilities should they be beaten week after week.

Hopefully we have enough in reserve to cover these losses and the remaining experienced blokes take on that added responsibility to set the tone for those less experienced players around them
That's why we might need to think of Hodge and Burgers down there for an extended stint.

That's why we might need to think of Hodge and Burgers down there for an extended stint.

You're probably right there. However, as some others have pointed out, this may leave us then exposed through the midfield where we have just as many injuries in the covering stocks. I just pray that if/when the younger blokes come into the side, they aren't completely destroyed mentally

You're probably right there. However, as some others have pointed out, this may leave us then exposed through the midfield where we have just as many injuries in the covering stocks. I just pray that if/when the younger blokes come into the side, they aren't completely destroyed mentally
Bring in Cousins/WX

IN: Brand, Stewart, Whitecross, Duryea

OUT: Rioli, Stratton, Frawley, Fitzpatrick

B: Hardwick, Brand, Duryea

HB: Burton, Gibson, Burgoyne

C: Henderson, Mitchell, Smith

HF: O'Brien, Gunston, Stewart

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, Hodge, Shiels

INT: Whitecross, Langford, Howe, Hartung

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see it as Brand & TOB for Frawley & Stratton.
Stewart in for Cyril, Vickery for Fitzy and Sicily/Schoey back in Fwd line for TOB.

Out: Frawley,Cyril,Stratton & Fitzy.
In: Brand,Stewart,Vickery & Sicily/Schoey.

This looks about right to me. Schoey and/or Sicily can swing back if required too.

IN: Brand, Stewart, Whitecross, Duryea

OUT: Rioli, Stratton, Frawley, Fitzpatrick

B: Hardwick, Brand, Duryea

HB: Burton, Gibson, Burgoyne

C: Henderson, Mitchell, Smith

HF: O'Brien, Gunston, Stewart

R: McEvoy, Hodge, Shiels

INT: Whitecross, Langford, Howe, Hartung
That's not horrible. And Hodge can go back occasionally too

And WX and Howe

It seems as though Box Hill are going to plummet down the ladder, with so many players being elevated into the seniors. With Conor Nash, Jono O'Rourke, Taylor Duryea, Jack Fitzpatrick and Kieran Lovell out with injury and Kurt Heatherley, Brendan Whitecross,Ryan Schoenmakers, Kade Stewart, James Cousins, Ty Vickery and Kaiden Brand all potential inclusions in the firsts, it looks like there will be very few wins in the VFL for us to take solace in.

Hawthorn obviously takes priority but with the way the season has gone it was as least somewhat comforting having Box Hill doing so well. Seeing the young'uns progressing was very encouraging. I guess now we get to see what some of them can do when thrown in the deep end.

the most "like for like" in the back line would be Brand and Heatherley for structural purposes
Not sure the coaches will go with that much inexperience in the back line
I'd expect either Doc or Swiss to come in for Stratts and Brand to get first crack at replacing Chip

Stewart again the closest approximation to a Rioli replacement, at least from having some experience with the small forward role, being a good mark for his size and tackling like a beast

Fitz concussed could be the door opening that TV needs, but Pies don't have that intimidating a ruck combination, though good chance Cox comes in to try and stretch us now

It seems as though Box Hill are going to plummet down the ladder, with so many players being elevated into the seniors. With Conor Nash, Jono O'Rourke, Taylor Duryea, Jack Fitzpatrick and Kieran Lovell out with injury and Kurt Heatherley, Brendan Whitecross,Ryan Schoenmakers, Kade Stewart, James Cousins, Ty Vickery and Kaiden Brand all potential inclusions in the firsts, it looks like there will be very few wins in the VFL for us to take solace in.

Hawthorn obviously takes priority but with the way the season has gone it was as least somewhat comforting having Box Hill doing so well. Seeing the young'uns progressing was very encouraging. I guess now we get to see what some of them can do when thrown in the deep end.

they can all come in together and keep their structures...

B: Hardwick, Brand, Gibson

HB: Burton, Heatherley, Hodge

C: Hartung, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Willsmore, O'Brien, Gunston

R: McEvoy, Cousins, Shiels

INT: Henderson, Burgoyne, Howe, Stewart

I wouldn't be at all dispondant with that team on the park.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back