Preview Round 9 2017: Collingwood v Hawthorn, 20th May 2017, 7:25pm @MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
we got thumped by 80 points three times and that team had no significant injuries, lets be honest Cyril has looked sluggish and a bit disinterested this year and has had minimal impact so a sicily or stewart could be a point of difference for us there.
Stratton? well I made the call during the JLT that he is definitely taking the 'PISS' the way he was applying himself, unfortunately he's kind of taken that form into the season proper! Frawley has been at best 'OK' but this gives Clarko the option of giving young Brand to play 'task orientated ' football, nothing fancy , nothing expected from him that he cant do, just spoil and play basic football.
now, I'm not suggesting they aren't important, they ARE, but we do have depth in the small defender department in Duryea, Hardwick and Whitey.
just shuffle the cards a little and we should be fine, our youngsters have been impressive already so more game time and confidence for Burton, Howe, Hardwick, Hartung, Langford, TOB and co... i'll be there on Sat night cheering the boys on!! cant wait!

This will never, ever happen. No team would be so stupid to let a player walk for free since the Saints were arrogant morons with Ball. Every team that's sabre rattled since has eventually caved in. There also hasn't been a PSD in 4 years. The PSD pick is absolutely meaningless.
As a bargaining point the PSD is not meaningless, just like FA is a bargaining point a year out now

Clubs are adjusting to the fact they don't own all the cards in player movement anymore.

As a bargaining point the PSD is not meaningless, just like FA is a bargaining point a year out now

Clubs are adjusting to the fact they don't own all the cards in player movement anymore.

I don't think any club would happily let a player walk any more. There hasn't been a PSD for many years now. Anyone thinking that if we finish bottom that the PSD pick would be a silver lining is utterly crazy. Even if we sabre rattled with it, a team that wants to buy will blink (like we did last year) or the team that is selling will blink (like the Lions with Aish). If I was a CEO and my list management team did something as stupid and pig headed as St Kilda with Luke Ball then I'd be having a very stern conversation with my team. I would much rather finish mid table then finish dead last and have some delusion that the PSD #1 will achieve anything.

I don't think any club would happily let a player walk any more. There hasn't been a PSD for many years now. Anyone thinking that if we finish bottom that the PSD pick would be a silver lining is utterly crazy. Even if we sabre rattled with it, a team that wants to buy will blink (like we did last year) or the team that is selling will blink (like the Lions with Aish). If I was a CEO and my list management team did something as stupid and pig headed as St Kilda with Luke Ball then I'd be having a very stern conversation with my team. I would much rather finish mid table then finish dead last and have some delusion that the PSD #1 will achieve anything.
You're missing the point
Say we finish last and Dusty nominates us.
Richmond have to negotiate because if they don't he can walk to the PSD and get to the club of his choice

Last year we didn't have the first pick in the PSD and bombers quite happily let everyone know they would take Jaeger with that pick, that put pressure on us as well as GCS

If GCS were willing to let Jager walk to bombers to spite us and Jaeger PSD worked in their favor

You're missing the point
Richmond have to negotiate because if they don't he can walk to the PSD and get to the club of his choice

Last year we didn't have the first pick in the PSD and bombers quite happily let everyone know they would take Jaeger with that pick, that put pressure on us as well as GCS

If GCS were willing to let Jager walk to bombers to spite us and Jaeger PSD worked in their favor

I get where you're coming from on the leverage argument - however Dusty is a RFA so I dare say that Richmond will take the two compo picks they'd almost definitely get if he left them.

The only way we could use the PSD pick as leverage is for a non-free agent player who is out of contract - and I don't think we are genuinely a chance at any of them.

End of the day - not winning a wooden spoon > a PSD pick.

The PSD pick is certainly there and is something that a club could use to great advantage. I've even posted before about how it could be leveraged to get multiple big name players across.

It would be great to see the club grab the rest of the comp by the balls and use the pick to full advantage. The problem with doing that though - and this is likely why we don't see it happening - is that the club instantly puts every other club offside and gives us a terrible reputation in trade week for the foreseeable future.

No doubt there is some unwritten rules between clubs not to exploit the system like that.

Back on topic though... I hope to see Brand and Stewart back in this week. A debut for Cousins would also be nice.

088704bbb26459e26f7dddb4ebea050c.jpg

The PSD pick is certainly there and is something that a club could use to great advantage. I've even posted before about how it could be leveraged to get multiple big name players across.

It would be great to see the club grab the rest of the comp by the balls and use the pick to full advantage. The problem with doing that though - and this is likely why we don't see it happening - is that the club instantly puts every other club offside and gives us a terrible reputation in trade week for the foreseeable future.

No doubt there is some unwritten rules between clubs not to exploit the system like that.

Back on topic though... I hope to see Brand and Stewart back in this week. A debut for Cousins would also be nice.
Yep, the PSD pick 1 is like the underarm bowl in cricket. The option is always there...

I don't see the silver lining with injuries. To me this just makes finals even harder for us.

I suspect that the coaches have given up on finals this year, every injured player put on ice to recover properly. I guess they're aiming to get the ideal team together round 15 onwards and play together consistently. In the meantime I would assume that it's time to find out a bit more about our list. If we expect Vickery, Brand, Heatherly, Willsmore or Cousins to contribute in 2018 then we should see them in the 1sts.

That is what Essendon thought. Didn't happen though...

Who would want to go to that scumbag club though. This is the Hawkers we are talking about. Even though we are having a down year at the moment. We are a much more appealing option than the drug cheats.

Can players nominate for the rookie draft and not the national draft ? If so, then we should tamper the s**t out of it and maybe get a youngster to only nominate for the rookie draft or pre season draft aswell, and take them with our first pick. I know it is highly unlikely to happen, but imagine the meltdown it would cause.

You're missing the point

100% correct. Having the first pick in PSD could be very handy, and If you throw enough cash, anything can happen. Times are changing. Players will become more ruthless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since Lake retired I've thought that Frawley is the worst possible out structure wise. As average as his 2017 form has been I suspect we'll all be mourning his absence as soon as 7:30pm on saturday.
I'm honestly expecting Darcy Moore to kick a big bag and play like Wayne Carey :(
Reading through this thread I am surprised at the pessimism Hawk posters have. We haven't beaten you since 2011 and historically we have struggled against Hawks for a long time. We are playing terribly, are below you on the ladder and our biggest weakness, kicking the footy, is the thing that Hawks have always exploited to the max.

Moore has had a terrible season and if not for his potential and given we don't have any other real KPFs on our list would be in the VFL. He is young and out of confidence. Would be a shock if he had a night out.

I expect Hawks to win while we battle valiantly as we commit multiple skill errors. Don't think you guys need to worry about no 1 pick in the PSD.

Reading through this thread I am surprised at the pessimism Hawk posters have. We haven't beaten you since 2011 and historically we have struggled against Hawks for a long time. We are playing terribly, are below you on the ladder and our biggest weakness, kicking the footy, is the thing that Hawks have always exploited to the max.

Moore has had a terrible season and if not for his potential and given we don't have any other real KPFs on our list would be in the VFL. He is young and out of confidence. Would be a shock if he had a night out.

I expect Hawks to win while we battle valiantly as we commit multiple skill errors. Don't think you guys need to worry about no 1 pick in the PSD.
Given what you have said and the pessimism permeating from a few our guys, this is going to be like two bald men fighting for a comb. Let's get it on!!!

How about a gentleman's agreement to share the points? It's been one of those years for our respective clubs :(

I'd expect something like:

Hodge Brand Hardwick
Burton Gibson Henderson
Smith Mitchell Hartung
Puopolo Roughead Breust
Gunston Vickery O'Brien
McEvoy Shiels Langford

Int; Stewart, Duryea, Burgoyne, Howe
It'll be one of the weakest Hawthorn teams since the Ken Judge era with little midfield depth and a backline that's very shaky. This week Collingwood have issues of their own, but it isn't fun to imagine how that team will cope when we face Adelaide & Port away in a few weeks.....

You're missing the point

Sadly the PSD only helps us if we win the wooden spoon. Otherwise we can't be assured Brisbane won't take a punt on whoever it is we want with PSD pick 1, and whichever club we deal with will know that.

We have 3 wins already, Brisbane have 1. About the only way we're winning the wooden spoon is if we don't win another game for the year - is that something we'd like to see in a season where St.Kilda gets our 1st round pick? It would be an unprecedented AFL trading disaster.

Brisbane will win the wooden spoon, their name is all over it. We have nothing to gain by tanking which may be a good thing for the development of our young players. Hodgey in perhaps his final year can instill the never give up attitude that has served the team so well, instead of sending stars off early for surgery and having whoever's left become demoralized by a long string of beltings.

Out: Rioli, Stratton, Frawley, Fitzy
Ins: Stewart, Wx, Brand, Vickery/Shoe

Stewart plays defensive fwd pressure, Breust, Pop & Rough more time in centre bounce to cover Cyril's rotation.

Wx replaces Stratton in defence with smaller Pies fwd line.

Brand for Frawley, plays on Moore.

Vickery straight swap for Fitz if Clarko goes with same game plan as Lions and wants to expose Pies backline and support McEvoy in the ruck.
Shoey if Clarko wants flexibility to swing back and/or chance of wet weather. Also his defensive pressure is up for BH and knows structures better.

B: Wx Brand Hardwick
HB: Burton Gibson Hodge
C: Smith Mitchell Hartung
HF: Henderson Roughead Breust
F: Gunston O'Brien Poppy
R: McEvoy Shiels Langford

Int: Burgoyne, Howe, Stewart, Vick/Shoe

Emg: Doc, Sicily, Heatherly

I can't see any of the kids (Cousins, Morrison, Hanrahan and even Willsmore) getting a game with so many forced changes. Clarko will back knowing the system and reward his old troops to be prepared and produce their best.

I also expect to be totally surprised! ;)

It's hard not to think WX will get a game. Very handy versatile player - but been surprised by his consistent non-inclusion this year. Has his form been crap?
A mention of him in the BH thread being sick for last weeks game. So potentially not rested to replace our injured or injured himself. Maybe just struggling to get consistency, which we'd all like to see come together in the next few weeks. Is a very good player when in form.

A mention of him in the BH thread being sick for last weeks game. So potentially not rested to replace our injured or injured himself. Maybe just struggling to get consistency, which we'd all like to see come together in the next few weeks. Is a very good player when in form.
His last two games in the firsts last year weee excellent - no disagreement from me. Also brings composure and leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back