Preview Round 9 2017: Collingwood v Hawthorn, 20th May 2017, 7:25pm @MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frawley 187 replaced by Brand 15
Stratton 146 replaced by Doc 87
Fitz 26 replaced by Ty 122
Cyril 185 replaced by Swiss 98

That's 544 games out 322 in and the team as named has 5 players under 50 (four under 20) games plus another three under 10 at the Hawks

That's a strange way to argue against the youth calls.

We've replaced good players with proven fringe players (besides KB), I'm not against the ins but it's hardly promoting players that are young.

Clearly with these selections they still think we can play finals.
Would rather have seen Wilsmore and Cousins come in. Doc hasn't exactly been lighting it up for BH, Vickery fair call because he has been kicking goals but this should be his last chance to stand the fu#$ up. Maybe the haircut will do the trick.
Whitey, well he's been going ok at BH so fair call. Brand ( the savior as i like to call him now due to early calls by some on here ) gets another chance to show some youthful agression and utmost enthusiasm at every contest. Anything less is a fail.
Heart wants us to win.
Head and unbiast side says Pies by 5 + goals in a reality check .

WhiteX plays back and Burton moves forward.

I've thought the Pies would win all week ( they really should) but I've just changed my tune when putting my tips in, some weird gut feel that we will upset them.

The weather will be rubbish, will help us I think. Collingwood mids are softer than melted butter, Titch will chew them up and spit them out.

We've replaced good players with proven fringe players (besides KB), I'm not against the ins but it's hardly promoting players that are young.

So 8 players, or 1/3 of the team, is under 50 games. How much youth, exactly, do you think we can carry in a competitive side?

Clarkson is banana yes i will cop criticism but how how is vickery ahead of Sicily.
How is whitecross ahead of willsmore or cousins.
Yes we all knew he would turn to the old guard not the young.
I still think we could win Collingwood garbage.

He has picked a team that he feels will win this game. He has to balance the actual experience of those out and the balance of the team. Throughout this season, others will get their chance. Sicily needs to learn humility and respect irrespective of how long it takes.

I'd trust Clarko rather than your view thanks.

Bkt

I'm saying we have 8 guys out there with less than 25 games in the Hawks system.
This includes Ty, Tom and Hendo of course who balance their lack of experience in the team with actual AFL experience.

If they left doc out and brought in Stewart that would be 9 players, I'd they left Swiss out and brought in cousins that would be 10
If Ty was left out for Sis that would be 11

There comes a point with the kids also where rotations are impacted too much.

Look at the game time most of them play and you can see that they need more time on the pine

I'm suggesting that even though we brought in three guys in there mid 20s with a fair bit of experience we are still a team with a lot of kids playing, put a couple more in and the balance could be out of whack to the point where they can't compete

Not surprised with the ins ..

Brand -> Frawley
Duryea -> Stratton
Vickery -> Fitzy
Whitecross -> Cyril

Team structure seems unbalanced with WhiteX for Cyril . I guess we may play Burton forward and
Whitex in defence, hence why i would have preferred Stewart in instead of Doc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly with these selections they still think we can play finals.
That's a fair assumption on those calls.

We'll find out within 2 weeks if Clarko is on the money or delusional...

Was expecting to come here and see a bunch of whinging about Vickery, very surprised and happy that we haven't quite turned into Richmond supporters yet.

Will take a while to coach the Richmond out of him and I'm happy to see him given another chance. Hopefully he can put in a good performance and shut some of the doubters up.

Sicily has good potential but he needs to get his attitude right. He plays like Dowler and thinks he's Dermie.

Willsmore is clearly never going to play. He has been fantastic at VFL level the past fortnight and still can't get a game. My thoughts are we actually started to win a few games and become more competitive when we played the kids. Why stop now? Whitey, sadly because of his history of injuries, will never be more then a fringe player. Why not see what we have in someone unknown?

Vickery is an easy in for Fitzy. And with Miles injured Doc is next in line for Stratton. So Doc makes sense.

I have no issues with Sicily not getting named, he was awful at Box Hill last week and sulked about.

Looks like shooeys finished

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app
He has hardly been kicking the door down at Box Hill.
Vickery has consistently been out performing him at BHH and Brand is clearly next in line for the back line spot.

I understand all the calls for Cousins to get a game but maybe the coaching staff have a longer term plan for him and are making sure he gets a good apprenticeship.

It's a fine line between playing too many kids and exposing enough of them to the top level for long enough.
Just remember the kids will get their chance over the next season or two with Hodge, Gibson and Burgoyne all probably in their last season.

Like the changes overall. Need to replace experience with experience at this point. Whitecross, Duryea and Vickery will all be keen to prove a point.

Brand and Duryea were like for like changes. Both have deficiencies as do the guys they're replacing. However, both Doc and Brand both offer more offensively than Stratts and Chip. Neither are as good defensively though.

Whitecross is versatile and gives us another small/medium defender or midfielder.

Vickery needs to clunk a few marks, create some spillages and kicking 1-2 goals would be a bonus.

We have Henderson, Howe and Silk who can all play back if needed too. We also have three defensive minded mids in Shiels, Langers and Howe who can lay a tackle and do the heavy lifting.

Pies are probably favourites but their side is not that crash hot outside of Treloar, Pendles, Fasolo, Grundy, Elliott, Sidebum and Adams. No reason why we can't win if we show up with the right intent and are decisive with the ball.
Right! If we attack this game with the right mind set we should win. Go eat pies, Hawks!

Was expecting to come here and see a bunch of whinging about Vickery, very surprised and happy that we haven't quite turned into Richmond supporters yet.

Will take a while to coach the Richmond out of him and I'm happy to see him given another chance. Hopefully he can put in a good performance and shut some of the doubters up.

Sicily has good potential but he needs to get his attitude right. He plays like Dowler and thinks he's Dermie.
So Mitch Thorp essentially

Got this feeling about the game this week that reminds me of one we played against Essendon back in (I think) 2011. We went into the game without Buddy or Roughy and with a bunch of young players who hadn't proven much yet. I'm pretty sure we went into that game as clear underdogs, but we ended up belting them with a score of well over 100 points. Quite a few of those young players went on to become two and three time premiership players. I'm hoping we can experience the same thing again against Collingwood.

Really disappointment to see that Stewart has been overlooked again for the seventh week in a row despite being one of the most consistent performers in the VFL. He is ranked number one at Box Hill for tackles.

Even though he hasn't exactly been dominating in the VFL recently, I gotta feeling Vickery could be in for a breakout game against Collingwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back