Preview Round 9 2017: Collingwood v Hawthorn, 20th May 2017, 7:25pm @MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of those guys are fringe players, their not youth. Youth is 1-4 years in the system, 4 at the most. Those guys are strugglers, guys who can certainly do a job but won't develop into good good to very good footballers.

K
Yeah nah a few guys like that played parts in premierships particularly 2008

I'd rather play one short. although i guess it'd be much of a muchness.
Harsh
Ty has been reasonable at Box Hill
Hopefully he's worked out the game plan and got a bit of confidence

He's copping enough shit from the feral masses without being smacked by our own before playing

Give the bloke a break

I think we play Wx back with Hodge the spare man in defence. Burgoyne less time in defence and the rest keep similar positions to recent weeks and let the players build on that growing confidence in their own roles.

Hardwick, Brand, Duryea
Burton, Gibson, Wx -- Hodge
Smith, Langford, Hartung
Breust, O'Brien, Gunston
Poppy, Roughead

McEvoy, Shiels, Mitchell

Burgoyne: Mr fix it
Henderson: Half forward/wing
Howe: Half back/wing/mid
Vickery: Deep fwd/ruck/Hale

Looks like the rain is staying away as well, so hopefully our tall fwd line can take advantage with a lot of marks deep I50.

light-showers.png

Min 13. Max 19
Early shower or two.
Possible rainfall: 0 to 0.4 mm
Chance of any rain: 40%
rain_40.gif

Melbourne area
Medium (40%) chance of showers, most likely in the morning. Mostly sunny afternoon. Light winds becoming northerly 15 to 25 km/h in the morning.

Go in switched on and play a full four quarters. I still like the look of our side this week and like our chances... and continuing to remain undervalued in the greater footy world.

I don't mind the changes, would have preferred Shoey over Ty as I though he played better last week. Didn't think Sicily was likely, didn't do much at Box Hill and still seemed to be showing signs of petulance. Whitey, Doc and Brand are all good when playing their best so good inclusions IMO.

Overall at Box Hill so far Ty has been far superior to Shoey.

I like the ins, pretty much like for like. Would love for TV to prove the doubters wrong, just as Henderson proved me wrong last week. Will be interested to see if Burton and White X will rotate positions throughout the match, as both can play anywhere. It's good to see Brand be given another go, look forward to seeing som Timmy O improvement, but that comes with consistent games. Duryea has the chance to force his way back into the team on a permanent basis. Great to see Heatherly as emergency, reading the Boxhill reports from last week, played really well and deserved a chance to be included in the 22.

Perfect opportunity to play some young players who are pplaying well at Box Hill like Cousins and Stewart and we don't do it. We are not playing finals this year so I would rather see youth being played.

In 2 weeks we could be 5 and 5.

Why surrender the season now? Why not wait til round 16 or 17 and they still get half a dozen games of experience.

Its like some people here have never seen the team struggle...

In 2 weeks we could be 5 and 5.

Why surrender the season now? Why not wait til round 16 or 17 and they still get half a dozen games of experience.

Its like some people here have never seen the team struggle...
Based on the last 4 years, mate, some of them here HAVE never seen this team struggle:p

Perfect opportunity to play some young players who are pplaying well at Box Hill like Cousins and Stewart and we don't do it. We are not playing finals this year so I would rather see youth being played.
No point in throwing the kids to the wolves, 5 changes is alot in an experienced team let alone adding inexperienced kids into the mix. Playing in the AFL and being thrashed about can be harmful to development, let them learn their craft in the VFL and if their form wants it, they can be selected in the second half of the season/ when or if our season is gone.

It's not like the players we selected are old either, theyre playing for their careers, let them have a chance.

Last edited:
Harsh

He's copping enough shit from the feral masses without being smacked by our own before playing

Give the bloke a break
I quite liked TOB as second ruck though so going shorter is not necessarily an anti Ty thing for me.

That's said - if Ty shows something this Sunday I'll be stoked. Our season needs to have some more positives

Overall at Box Hill so far Ty has been far superior to Shoey.

Sadly Schoey is in deep trouble to remain at the club.
If he's not getting a gig now, it's looking like curtains for the big fella.
Hope we persist, but the writing appears on the wall.

No point in throw the kids to the wolves, 5 changes is alot in an experienced team let alone adding kids into the mix. Playing in the AFL and being thrashed about can be harmful to development, let them learn their craft in the VFL and if their form wants it, they can be selected in the second half of the season. It's not like the players we selected are old either, theyre playing for their careers, let them have a chance.
I think the Cousins love is a little premature but I'm a tad disappointed in there being no Kade call-up. Poppy has slowed down a bit and he might be another player Hawthorn look at pushing out either this year or next. Cyril out was the perfect opportunity for him to come in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Cousins love is a little premature but I'm a tad disappointed in there being no Kade call-up. Poppy has slowed down a bit and he might be another player Hawthorn look at pushing out either this year or next. Cyril out was the perfect opportunity for him to come in
I'd love Kade in the team but he can fade out of games still and doesn't have the tank to play midfield minutes at senior level, with the amount of changes I think it hurt his chances, the players selected it gives us more match day options.

Poppy's last two games have been alot better, I was worried about him a few weeks ago.

Outside of defensive pressure, the wraps on Stewart at Box Hill of late aren't exactly glowing. I think he needs to show a bit more before he's called up.

Sadly Schoey is in deep trouble to remain at the club.
If he's not getting a gig now, it's looking like curtains for the big fella.
Hope we persist, but the writing appears on the wall.
Up to him. If he plays a few blinders in VFL he gets ago. Anyone who is AFL standard should be killing it in the VFL, especially if their career is on the line.

I think all those who are wanting more youngsters to be blooded should be patient. I would love to see Cousins, Morrison etc get some game time,as well as Stewart, and Lovell when available, but I don't think we can expect that to happen as yet. So much depends on our next few games; beat pies, $wines and Gold Coast before the bye, and we would be in contention for a finals birth.

However drop one or more and then it is time to filter the youngsters into the best 22. Just my opinion on what could be on the club's agenda.

Last edited:
Fitz replacement needs to ruck.
I see the theory... but if u dont have two good ruckmen then dont play them, it stuffs our fwd setup we look slower and struggle to hold the ball in. What other team in the comp plays 2 ruckmen?

Last edited:
Harsh

Give the bloke a break

Exactly... His very first game for our club in round one and our own supporters were yelling abuse at him more than bombers fans were.
So embarrassing and disgraceful...

Wonder if he cut his hair to prove he's committed to start a new life and rejuvenate his career at Hawthorn

Possibly, but he has consistently been in Box Hills best players every week and by all accounts is showing some very impressive signs. In reality we won’t know what he is capable of until he has a crack at the elite level. That being said the club is probably doing the right thing in not rushing him into the seniors, he will get his chance soon enough if he keeps on performing the way he is, well at least I hope he does.

Possibly, but he has consistently been in Box Hills best players every week and by all accounts is showing some very impressive signs. In reality we won’t know what he is capable of until he has a crack at the elite level. That being said the club is probably doing the right thing in not rushing him into the seniors, he will get his chance soon enough if he keeps on performing the way he is, well at least I hope he does.

I think I read somewhere that Kade has such fantastic tackle numbers because he is more often than not second to the contest, so he is probably working hard on getting the footy first. As we know it has been made more difficult for the tackler to get rewarded.

I believe Kade has the passion and desire to fix this small blemish in his game, and when he does he will be a valuable asset to our mid field.

I get the changes, but disappointed we arent rewarding the guys who keep being listed as our best players week in week out.
To me, we didnt need Fitzy in last week, but they rewarded him for his outstanding form at VFL level.
But this week, a chance to give at least one of them a crack, and we go back to the old firm.

My main issue is that we have spent the last 5-6 years at the top. So much young talent wasting away at Box Hill and taking their chance to leave when senior footy presents itself, or worst, being delisted and not being given the chance to show anything.
Now we have the opportunity to see what these kids can actually do, and so far we havent taken it.

I understand the want to win at all costs, but we arent winning anything this year and what better chance to really find out what is on our list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back