Autopsy Round 9, 2021: Hawks get bounced

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he's yelling because of the skill errors within our game plan.

We are trying to play the same way as we did in our three-peat. Seriously. We haven't pivoted despite recent premiers showing a different method. Despite our ability to execute.

Once again, on record, they way we come back against crows and bombers is not what we are trained to do. It was a result of the scoreboard.... as per our senior assistant.

So tell me, if that's not the way, what is?
darthmann has literally answered this a couple of posts up.

We don't have any.

Smith went to Geelong, Henderson retired, Scully sort of an incident ran away.

There is your three best runners at your club walk out the same year.

We had no one to replace them at all. Bad list management.

Not one person on the list could keep up with them even a spud at BH.

I actually feel sorry for Mitchell, he has a lot of limitations as a footballer if you take away possessions and he's not a great kick, but when he had Smith, Henderson and even Scully, he had 3 ppl running past that make his handball possessions extremely useful for the team. Now he has... nobody running past. Nobody

Sure he still gets possessions but as a club we can't help them be useful anymore. It's a list management issue not Mitchells.
We don't have any.

Smith went to Geelong, Henderson retired, Scully sort of an incident ran away.

There is your three best runners at your club walk out the same year.

We had no one to replace them at all. Bad list management.

Not one person on the list could keep up with them even a spud at BH.

I actually feel sorry for Mitchell, he has a lot of limitations as a footballer if you take away possessions and he's not a great kick, but when he had Smith, Henderson and even Scully, he had 3 ppl running past that make his handball possessions extremely useful for the team. Now he has... nobody running past. Nobody.

Sure he still gets possessions but as a club we can't help them be useful anymore. It's a list management issue not Mitchells.
play Conor downie. Get games into him that’s his role wing/half back run and kick. Also play brockman I know he’s a forward not a mid but give him time up the ground we do have players play the right ones.

They are professional athletes . You can blame coaches , selection whatever you want but personal pride in performance is up to individual .

Its an easy out to blame the coach or coaches for everything.
Every team has those same issues the coaches that get the best out of his players are the ones at an elite level. He’s not getting the best out of them anymore. Not expecting much but he should be able to muster up a win against nth.

play Conor downie. Get games into him that’s his role wing/half back run and kick. Also play brockman I know he’s a forward not a mid but give him time up the ground we do have players play the right ones.

correct, we have no flash in the forward 50.

Brockman can learn the ropes and our system in our ones on the run.

who would he be keeping out? Ollie Hanrahan? Dylan Moore?

Get games into the kid as much as we can .

Every team has those same issues the coaches that get the best out of his players are the ones at an elite level. He’s not getting the best out of them anymore. Not expecting much but he should be able to muster up a win against nth.
So no responsibility for the players to lift against North ?
5 goals up and run over by a bottom undermanned side and its a coaching issue?

Good thing Scully and Patton are retired / forced out or they'd be playing over more kids and we'd still be 2-7.
not necessarily

Scully could provide a running link to a TOM hand ball that we are missing
Patton could be providing a big older body and mature voice to the forward line

allowing KID to play a role around them and learn

not necessarily

Scully could provide a running link to a TOM hand ball that we are missing
Patton could be providing a big older body and mature voice to the forward line

allowing KID to play a role around them and learn
I agree on the 2019 version of Scully. I don’t agree on Patton. Looked cooked last year. I doubt he plays ahead of Lewis or Kosi this year and tob probably ahead of him too. A fully operational Patton would have been handy but he didn’t look like it last year.

I doubt he was 100%. Either that or Clarko really does want the #1 pick. I'm hoping it was the former.

He couldn't have been 100%. Some of his movement and bending over, especially in the first half, was so obviously restricted. A player with his injury history should not have played in that state.

It proved pretty costly too, when O'Meara was alone in the middle of the ground in the last quarter and got clean bowled between his legs by a North miskick. O'Meara bends down and takes easy possession with North streaming forward would almost certainly have been a goal to Hawthorn. As it was, it went straight through him to a North player and they run on to goal. 12 point turnaround in a 7 point game. Was definately a worse moment than Daniel Howe's miskick against Geelong a few weeks ago that got everyone worked up (Of course, O'Meara has far more runs on the board than Howe and was clearly playing injured).

Not that a narrow win or a narrow loss would have changed all that much about how we played, especially the hiding ew copped in the middle but still.

So we just train the opposite to our game plan? I think it’s clearly an inability / lack of confidence to execute out game plan except for quick glimpses.

I don’t think Clarko is yelling and swearing in the coaching box ironically...

Look, I've been to training a few times. I have not seen them practice taking the game on through the middle when I was there.

I did see drills where the ball was worked up the wings. And contested ball drills on the boundary along the wing/HFF area which resulted generally in rushed kicks forward.

Now that may have been how they wanted to use the ground given there were two large groups on opposite wings. Or maybe those are the areas that we want to move the ball through.

There was also switching drills from the backline, with hand balls out the back to runners and long kicking.

None of it screamed "take the game on" through the middle.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, I've been to training a few times. I have not seen them practice taking the game on through the middle when I was there.

I did see drills where the ball was worked up the wings. And contested ball drills on the boundary along the wing/HFF area which resulted reverent generally in rushed kicks forward.

Now that may have been how they wanted to use the ground given there were two large groups on opposite wings. Or maybe those are the areas that we want to move the ball through.

There was also switching drills from the backline, with hand balls out the back to runners and long kicking.

None of it screamed "take the game on" through the middle.
Yes in season they have one day to do any real training because the first day is usually a bit of a run around and recovery. They focus on things that they have found in games that they need to work on. They hardly play intras its more about focusing on things that they are doing wrong. No surprise they have spent a lot of time focussing on stoppages and in close pressure clearances and transition football. We are struggling to put chains of possessions together hence the low number of inside 50s its exhausting just explaining this because i am sure someone will come in and say that its not the way we play

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 9, 2021: Hawks get bounced

Remove this Banner Ad

Back