Autopsy Round 9, 2021: Hawks get bounced

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't able to watch the game and I'm pretty thankful for it at the minute. Sounds like a pretty complete failure after half time.
Am not surprised by the result in the least, I just want to see changes made.
Our midfield needs a drastic change- judging by what's been written here we had JOM and Worpel spending time in the forward line- I like this look, but the problem is they're probably our two best clearance midfielders at the moment and considering that was an area we were trounced in I can't think of why they weren't playing through stoppages more.

Expect the media storm to hit us full force this week- articles upon articles upon articles about how ****ed we are.
Grats Norf, please win at least two more games.

He and Clarko have a close relationship.

Well that sucks for us.

He is not an AFL standard player. We all know it. Everyone bar Clarko knows it. He needs to wake up to this.

How much more palatable is losing a game like this with Greaves and Jeka in the side over Hartley and TOB?

Diabolical.

The one thing I couldn’t get my head around was how we just continually gave them space in there. Where was the lockdown, play 1-on-1 for 10 minutes and take away their momentum.

It never came.

Thank you. This! Was doing my head in. At least it could have given us a chance to win 50\50 contest and centre clearance. They won them with ease and space.

I was over frost before this week...the guys a liability unfortunately...he has great attack on the ball but costs us goals every week with shocking sub vfl disposal and stupid decisions
Amazing how much Hartigan cops on this board compared to Frost. He was the worst player in our backline by a long way

Time for a real statement at selection starting with the midfield

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So what u are telling me is that every damn club would kill to get him as coach, but pea brains think he's the problem only for current hawthorn players? Even when a few highly rated players (Mitch, Chad, JOM...) have chosen to come here to play for him?

Makes sense
He didn't give a free ticket to players who won 4 premierships and came to the end. He moved them on because that was what the club thought was best. Don't get it twisted.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thank you. This! Was doing my head in. At least it could have given us a chance to win 50\50 contest and centre clearance. They won them with ease and space.

You knew the moment they strung 2 goals together we'd buckle under pressure like we were playing the Tigers.

Not much point winning games now, time to get game time on the young players on the list.

Give Burgers a farewell game. Trade any players with currency at the end of the year for a full rebuild.

It’s been the same story this year. Selections was questionable yet again. Not a surprising result. So many average players continuously being picked despite underperforming.

Playing Shiels, O’Brien and Hartley instead of giving games to Brockman and Downie doesn’t exactly scream “rebuild”.
I'll give you a fair tip on Downie and this is not dumping on him.
He doesn't get it enough, never has and we are now calling for a bloke to come into a side and accumulate 20 disposals a game of halfback and be the difference? He just won't his past at any level says as much.
This is symptomatic of our recruitment of late, take players and hope for them to do stuff they haven't been able to do prior to getting to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do u know how Afl footy works at all?
Basically, when u are playing finals and winning all the time, u don't get young talent in.. just a summary for u.. see if u can put 2 and 2 together from that..

But blame the coach for the problems of success
Who is responsible for the gaping holes in our list then?

The players who make up the current list?

Or the guy who has been there for the past 17 seasons as head coach?

So what u are telling me is that every damn club would kill to get him as coach, but pea brains think he's the problem only for current hawthorn players? Even when a few highly rated players (Mitch, Chad, JOM...) have chosen to come here to play for him?

Makes sense

Malthusian was sought after when Carlton got him.
His gamestyle is possession and precision based.
The game has moved past that now

I actually don't get too mad at the skill errors etc... that's what they are and we know it....

But geez they trail some pretty no name forwards to the ball and allow some easy uncontested sh*t at times (and yes the mids walking straight out the front doesn't help either). And a lot of panic stations grappling against guys that aren't Tom Hawkins.

They suffer from the team upfield but we also need to move on from them pretty quickly if we want to improve.

Problem is we have holes everywhere and can't plug them all in one hit. This is gunna be a loooooooong haul.
Yeah fair. I'm not worried so much about the backs though. Reassess that line up with Day, Sic, DGB after a couple of years. Hartigan could be more effective as the 4th defender. That said, we need to start again with the mids and forwards. Cupboard is bare.

Cant see another win this year.

We'll hopefully not have to field that same team for the rest of the year, minimum changes I'd hope for:
- Sicily back before the end of the season.
- Day back in about a month and half.
- JOM fit enough to play an entire game in the middle instead of the forward line.

Hopefully DGB develops enough to get some senior time. Downie the same. Brockman competing for Ollie's spot.

Would be nice to have Gunston fit and playing again. Forward line super inexperienced, and really need some of his leadership down there (although not as much as we need more entries into the forward 50).

Sadly, I do think we really wanted this win today, and put out the team we thought gave us the best chances of doing that given our injury list (which really isn't that big compared to some other clubs).

Nice deflection.

But seriously, do you still support our strategy of selecting old blokes, even if they only manage 6 disposals, so that we’re not really sh!t (even though we are really sh!t)?
I have been against playing kids for the sake of playing kids if they are not ready. But it’s impossible to me to justify continuing to play Hartley and TOB again. They offer nothing and won’t improve.

There are others who will never be adequate AFL players but we have no choice but to play some of them. They make up the majority of our list.

Well done North.

Gotta respect that they looking at the bigger picture and backing in youth for their rebuild and they got some reward today. Must be great for their kids to play in a win like that.

Unfortunately, the Hawks have been trying to cheat the game and pick off cheap wins by gifting games to failing senior players.

This may be the loss we needed to have to actually jump into the rebuild pool, instead of trying to do it by dipping our toes in slowly.

I imagine the age and experience comparison will make for embarrassing reading for us.

Makes sense

So you are happy with this current game plan that the coach would manage? You are happy with selection? You're completely fine with tactics when our back is against the wall? Well, at least we have Clarko then.

Speechless...I am without speech...

What I'm hoping for now is a brutal wake up call as to where this list is and we are ruthless with it.

Moore, Hanrahan, Nash, Obrien, Cousins, Morrison, Howe...it goes on...all these list cloggers must be gone by seasons end.

Well and truly open to trading O'meara, Mitchell, Wingard (yes he was good today)

We need to make hard, brutal decisions to get young talent in.

The only thing i'm remotely excited about is the fact we've drafted well with a limited hand over the past 2 years and can build a team around the likes of Day, Kozi, Jiath, DGB (granted we haven't seen him)

This is rock bottom right now.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 9, 2021: Hawks get bounced

Remove this Banner Ad

Back