AFLW Round 9 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

This started off looking like both teams were gonna kick 60+ again, and although the speed of the game remained pretty good, there was (I guess for a few understandable reasons) not much quality chains of play after the first 10 mins. Bit of a letdown.

If getting fiercely beaten in a who-wants-it-more contest earlier in the match vs the young Fleming didn't sum up Lily Mithen's season, damn that miss from ~20m out at the end sure did.

Not one game on the main channel in Melbourne,I know all the programming decisions are made in Sydney but still,how's the game supposed to truly grow if 7 aren't fair dinkum
I am guessing Seven has contractual obligations to broadcast the Cox Plate horse racing meeting and Supercars event on the main channel this weekend.

Zanker scoreless tonight and just the 7 touches including that brutal wayward handball, with 5:50 to go, over Goldrick's outstretched vertical arms.

Dees practically had a 2-on-1 inside 50, just needed to kick it long and Bannan would've run on to an easy goal:

24102024_1.jpg

A float infront of the pack with very little contact on the opponent, vs a fly over the top of the pack
I think she ran in from behind and the side and had to hit a good pace to get there.
Breed had the sit and got a little ride, they’re both in the best aflw marks I’ve seen but I think Scholz had more to do to make it happen

U decide:

I know the commentators compared the two marks last night, but it seems pretty pointless to me as they won't be vying for the Mark Of The Year award at the end of the season, the Scholz mark was beaten by Toogood' s in the weekly vote.

I know the commentators compared the two marks last night, but it seems pretty pointless to me as they won't be vying for the Mark Of The Year award at the end of the season, the Scholz mark was beaten by Toogood' s in the weekly vote.
Winning or losing the weekly fan vote is a separate thing, see Hodder last year.

Winning or losing the weekly fan vote is a separate thing, see Hodder last year.
Seriously, the Hodder mark didn't win the weekly vote. What kind of morons are voting?

Seriously, the Hodder mark didn't win the weekly vote. What kind of morons are voting?
Whenever something weird like that happens, it just seems to be a case of the club with the bigger supporter base winning out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

~7 mins to go in Q2, slow build up by Adelaide eventually releases Mueller (I think it was) to stream through the middle of the ground. Runs and carries to a distance enabling a penetrating I50 entry... but opts for a shallow kick out wide to a 1-on-2. Baffling stuff.

Crows crowd with the carry on when Vikki Wall is paid an Erin Phillips-style mark and then a Chelsea Randall-style free kick.

First time this season (doubt it'll be the last) I've been fully reminded of the ever bumbling nature of NM's "tall" defenders.

And that paints Chelsea Randall's 0.3 game as a shocker, given she just had to kick it to Gould or Ponter rather than trying to score hero goals. Hatchard's 2nd half was also cause for some soul searching.

Is 17 Tackels by Marinoff a record??? That is ridiculous amazing!!!
Pretty sure Bowers still has it with 22, but Marinoff and Svarc have both cracked 20 before.

Is 17 Tackels by Marinoff a record??? That is ridiculous amazing!!!

It's the fourth time she's had 17 tackles in the last three weeks.

Decent match in the end. The Crows showed they could match it with North in all facets of the game except the most important one. Generated plenty of genuine shots on goal but wasted them, while North took most of their chances.

We're likely to see that matchup again in a couple of weeks, albeit at a different venue.

And that paints Chelsea Randall's 0.3 game as a shocker, given she just had to kick it to Gould or Ponter rather than trying to score hero goals. Hatchard's 2nd half was also cause for some soul searching.

I adore Chelsea Randall, but composure at pace has never been her strong suit. She's like an excitable Jack Russell, barrels in at 100 miles an hour without any plan of what she's going to do next.

The bigger concerns were Ponter hitting the post from 5m out, and Gould shanking it from directly in front.

Hatchard has been a bit disappointing all season (the last two seasons really), albeit that's judging her against her normal lofty standards.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Round 9 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back