Richmond
Western Bulldogs
Adelaide
North Melbourne
Gold Coast
St Kilda
Port Adelaide
Brisbane

1st vs 4th this week and should have an impact on how the top 4 pans out. If we win Geelong will drop back to second and we will either jump the Bombers (if they lose to the Tigers) or sit pretty at 4. Meanwhile if we lose the Cats will hold their lead over Collingwood at the top of the table, Essendon will remain 3rd (unless they lose horribly) and Hawthorn is a shot to jump us if they beat the Swans at the SCG (probably won't happen)

Form:

Carlton: D W W W B
Geelong: W W B W W

The Cats come in undefeated and their latest scalp is the reigning premier. Carlton come in with a run of close games none decided by more than 20 points. The Cats are a team who can hold a winning streak, and it seems unlikely they will come in overconfident. The Blues on the other hand have had to fight for every win and have had to accept some negatives in every victory, in particular not being able to string together 4 quarters of high quality football.

Last Time We Met:

[YOUTUBE]6DK4hYCI5-E&feature[/YOUTUBE]

Possible Teams

Geelong:

B: J.Hunt, Scarlett, Lonergan
HB: Enright, Taylor, Mackie
C: Wojcinski, Kelly, Corey
HF: Johnson, Podsiadly, Chapman
F: Stokes, Hawkins, Menzel

R: Ottens, Selwood, Bartel

I/C: Ling, Varcoe, Christensen, Milburn

In: Milburn
Out: Duncan

Presuming Ling is fine otherwise he will miss

Carlton:

B: Yarran Jamison Duigan
HB: Russell White Scotland
C: Simpson Mclean Gibbs
HF: Robinson Waite Gartlett
F: Betts O'halpin Walker

R:Warnock Judd Murphy

I/C: Carazzo, Laidler, Armfield, Ellard

In: Mclean, Laidler, White

Out: Curnow, Joseph, Thornton

Milburn returns for the Cats and should significantly improve their defence with his ability to zone off and attack.

Meanwhile, Curnow misses due to injury (Shoulder) Joseph and Thornton omitted due to the availability of better options in White and Laidler.

Match-Ups

Geelong Forwards VS Carlton Defenders:

Stokes-Duigan
Hawkins-White (although a witches hat will be just as effective)
Menzel-Armfield
Johnson-Russell
Podsiadly-Jamison
Gibbs/Laidler-Chapman
Varcoe-Yarran

Not horrible match-ups. Gibbs went alright on Chapman last year in Round 5 so will run with him in the middle, JR will hopefully do the usual on Johnson, Varcoe is the danger man, had a down game vs the Pies but could bounce back here.

Carlton Forwards VS Geelong Defenders:

Betts-Hunt
O'halpin-Lonergan
Walker-Scarlett
Gartlett-Enright
Waite-Taylor
Robinson-Mackie

Realistically we are probably a little down on firepower without Henderson/Houlihan/Kreuzer so I think the Cats will try to play a little loose, especially those last 4 match-ups. Mackie/Robinson will probably be pushed by Scott, Ratten would want Robbo sitting on Scarlett or Enright though. The speed of our line-up could really kill the Cats if we get the movement flowing.

Midfields:

Bartel-Carazzo
Judd-Ling
Murphy-Kelly
Chapman-Gibbs
Selwood-Mclean

Thats probably the general gist of it. Only Bartel-Carazzo and Judd-Ling would be particularly hard, maybe Kelly-Murphy. The rest of it is going to be a balls to the wall head to head slogfest.

Prediction

Blues by 10 points.

This is going to be close and if it isn't then we are probably not going to end up on top. I think we can do it, mostly because I think we match-up better than the Cats do on us. Fitness queries on a few important Cats helps us here, Ottens/Ling/Milburn all under clouds, if they aren't running out the game we will have a chance to seal it late. Bye seems to be a curse but I don't hold these sort of things as the deciding factor. If the boys come to play this will be a ripper :thumbsu:

Re: Round 9 - Carlton v Geelong @ MCG

They play three big tall forwards so we'll need to change things around a bit.

I'd like to see Carrazzo run with Bartel and Gibbs play on Enright and hopefully kick a few goals again.

Outs maybe Curnow, Joseph and Thornton.

Geelong's tall forwards are all really big guys so they may not want Laidler on one of them although he could just take the one who's playing further up the ground but whether he's on a tall or medium like Menzel or Chapman he'll come in if he's right.

Ins maybe McLean, Laidler, Henderson, maybe even Watson depending on how we want to match up.

Given that this thread has a long long way to travel, and rather than starting a separate thread, can I just throw something out there?

I am curious to know who you all think should be dropped for the supposed members of our best 22 who are injured? That is Kruze, Hoops and Bower.

I believe they are all worth a spot in our best team, but so is everyone who is in our best team now, (with the possible exception of AJ and none of those 3 would replace him).

Has our best team on paper changed significantly since before the season started?

• Think Watson might be a great matchup for Tom Hawkins so love to see him in.
  • McClean sure to get a game either due to Curnow injury or if Curnow fit, Ellard may make way instead.
Going to be a tough game -> Chapman, Bartel, Corey and Selwood = MAJOR RESPECT!

Our defence at the moment I seriously think can really hold off JPod (Jamison), Hawkins (Watson/White), Johnson (Russell), Mooney (Laidler/Duigan) with the key to us winning the game will come down to when our forwards get it they have to make the most of their opportunities and score goals instead of these heart-stopping point-fests.

Their midfield we can't fault but use the rest to freshen up, particularly Judd and Murphy as one of them will get tagged by Ling and should use their freshed up pace to burn him.

Also bring in a bit of spirit and controlled aggression and I hope we come through! Make no bones about it this game is immensely defining in us retaining our hold on top 4 and could even land us second place if the Cats do lose to the Pies this week.

In: Watson, McClean, Henderson
Out: Thornton, Curnow/Ellard, Joseph
Sub: Armfield

IN: Laidler, White
OUT: Thornton, Joseph

Ket match-ups for this one:
  1. Russell v Johnson
  2. Ling v Judd
  3. Jamo v Mooney
  4. White v Podsiadly
  5. Yarran v Stokes/ Varcoe
  6. Scarlett v Waite

Outs:Curnow ( if injured or any doubt ), Thornton

Ins: McLean, Laidler

possibles

Outs:Armfield,Joseph,Ellard ( just feel these are the guys who aren't rock solid yet )

Ins: Tuohy, Hendo,Watson

I'd probably prefer to go with less talls against Cats, so maybe just Tuohy in.

After the break the questions should be:-

1. Can our goal kicking improve?
2. Can we put teams away, when we dominate them?
3. Can we please stop with the close games?
4. Can we improve further?

Bye comes at the perfect time. McLean comes in for Curnow if he doesn't get up in time for the game. McLean has been in great VFL form and deserves another chance.

Laidler comes back in for Thornton. Laidler can play just as tall as Thornton and also provides more run and I like him better...

Watson to come in for Joseph. Joseph has done two fiths of **** all. Watson to take Hawkins.

So

Out: Joseph, Thornton (curnow)
In: Laidler, Watson (McLean)

White might come back in too. We might still be undersized down back...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree that Watson should come in to take Hawkins. Hawkins still doesn't quite know how to use that big body yet so I think he looks a good match-up for Watto, who can hopefully run off him a bit and offer something offensively.

Jamison to Podsiadly is a no-brainer.

Mooney poses a slight problem (not in terms of a direct goal threat, more as a link-up man), but I actually think Duigan could do that job despite being undersized. Mooney is a shadow of his former self anyway so I don't think it will pose that much of a headache.

Midfield match-ups look pretty straightforward.

Of biggest concern appears to be our lacklustre forward structure. Scarlett and Taylor will absolutely feast on any misdirected high balls, so we're really going to have to try and work on a better plan/structure between now and then. I would be reluctant to bring in a still underdone Henderson, as I can just picture Scarlett/Taylor going to town on him, but I feel we will need another tall down there, as Lonergan will take O'hAilpin, leaving one of Scarlett/Taylor on Waite and the other doing as he pleases. Maybe Hampson? We're very thin in this area so it's going to be tough.

Really looking forward to this game and I hope we don't get struck by the bye curse. :thumbsu:

Outs: Curnow (assum inj), Joseph, Thornton
Ins: Mclean, Laidler, White (Watson if white still injured)

Armfield has been the sub a couple of times so may need a full game back at the ants. Lucas in for him perhaps.

Looking at last night, the worry is Waite marks it 60m out and has no real target to go long too. So need Betts, Walks & Gartlett to fire. Need to kick straight early.

At the moment Hawkins would monster Watson in any one on one marking duels, if this match up happens he would need some very solid help from a third man up. If we can execute that though there will be a massive opportunity for Watson to get a lot of kicks coming back out(and gee we love those from him), as Hawkins won't read the game as well as Watson and isn't known for his pressure.

TBH I would be much more keen to see Hendersen come in as a key defender, every time he plays in defense for us he looks great, very strong, always gets to the fall of the ball and is never outmarked. If he can hold down chb for a few weeks while bower, white, etc, etc recover from injuries it should help his confidence and match fitness greatly for when he goes forward later in the year. And we really need him with his confidence up at chf if we are to really threaten in September.

Warnock looked very tired last night, maybe we need Hampson back in and play O'Hailpin as a permanent forward?

Yarran might be the difference in this game, I can't imagine the cats won't try and reverse tag him after last night, and if he can work his way through it and still provide some rebound it will go a long way to giving our fast forwards the best chance to carve the slower cats defense up.

A lot will depend on this weekend and how the bullants go.

Can't wait for this game, think it will be a cracker

Will be another tight, pHysical contest. Good news is after Geelong we have 6-7 very winnable games in a row.

Mac for Ed
Laidler for Thornton
Watson and Hendo for Ellard and AJ.

Army Jamo Jr
Laidler Watson Duigan
Gibbs Mac Simo
Walker Hendo Robbo
Jeff Waite Eddie

206 Judd Murph

Carrots Scotty Irish *Ellard

Alternatively Hendo could come in and be asked to play back and Thornton to go forward.

Is White out for awhile?

Agree that Watson should come in to take Hawkins. Hawkins still doesn't quite know how to use that big body yet so I think he looks a good match-up for Watto, who can hopefully run off him a bit and offer something offensively.

Jamison to Podsiadly is a no-brainer.

Mooney poses a slight problem (not in terms of a direct goal threat, more as a link-up man), but I actually think Duigan could do that job despite being undersized. Mooney is a shadow of his former self anyway so I don't think it will pose that much of a headache.

Possibly. Mooney also marks from his chest more then most so he doesn't fully use his height. Is obviously a strong man but Duigan won't get pushed off the ball to easily.

The changes I'd make are:

IN: Watson, Laidler, McLean
OUT: Thornton, Joseph, Curnow

Would love to see Watto given the challenge of containing one of Geelong's big men. Give him a go against whichever one of Pods/Mooney/Hawkins will be pushing up the ground. Having said that, if White is fit I'd probably bring him in over Watto. Thornton is these days nothing more than a backup plan and should be behind White certainly, and probably Watto even at this early stage of his career.

Laidler has been solid as a rock for us thus far this season. 2 weeks off should give him plenty of time to get over his soreness and be ready to take on his former club. Much better option than Joseph who is struggling a little.

Really disapointing to lose Ed, he has been great for us this year. Not sure the injury is a really serious one but wouldn't surprise if he was out for about a month. This is a perfect opportunity for McLean who has really been pushing hard in the reserves for the last few weeks. Very much a like for like replacement.

bye comes at the perfect time. Mclean comes in for curnow if he doesn't get up in time for the game. Mclean has been in great vfl form and deserves another chance.

Laidler comes back in for thornton. Laidler can play just as tall as thornton and also provides more run and i like him better...

Watson to come in for joseph. Joseph has done two fiths of **** all. Watson to take hawkins.

So

out: Joseph, thornton (curnow)
in: Laidler, watson (mclean)

- this -

How good is Duigan? We have made away with some wonderful steals in this draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 9 - Carlton v Geelong @ Etihad Friday May 20th 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back