Preview Round 9 - Carlton v Geelong @ Etihad Friday May 20th 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Round 9 - Carlton v Geelong @ MCG

IMO we need Hendo back in. That will give us another fwd target and hopefully stop this kicking backward shit that we do more than any other club.

We need our fwd's to really present and give our mids a target so they just don't bomb in.

Agree that Watson should come in to take Hawkins. Hawkins still doesn't quite know how to use that big body yet so I think he looks a good match-up for Watto, who can hopefully run off him a bit and offer something offensively.

Jamison to Podsiadly is a no-brainer.

Mooney poses a slight problem (not in terms of a direct goal threat, more as a link-up man), but I actually think Duigan could do that job despite being undersized. Mooney is a shadow of his former self anyway so I don't think it will pose that much of a headache.

Midfield match-ups look pretty straightforward.

Of biggest concern appears to be our lacklustre forward structure. Scarlett and Taylor will absolutely feast on any misdirected high balls, so we're really going to have to try and work on a better plan/structure between now and then. I would be reluctant to bring in a still underdone Henderson, as I can just picture Scarlett/Taylor going to town on him, but I feel we will need another tall down there, as Lonergan will take O'hAilpin, leaving one of Scarlett/Taylor on Waite and the other doing as he pleases. Maybe Hampson? We're very thin in this area so it's going to be tough.

Really looking forward to this game and I hope we don't get struck by the bye curse. :thumbsu:

Mooney will get dropped if he does nothing against the Pies.

I think they will play one of their younger talls instead.

Watto in is needed. 2 out of Army, Joseph and Ellard need to go. Think Army will get another run. Ellard butchered the ball terribly the other night. I like that he gets in and under, but hate seeing the ball in hs hands in open play. Would like us to get talled with either Tuohy or Lucas in as the HB or BP.

I desperately want Hendo back in, but only if he is ready. I think Hampson has a chance for recall only because of how exhausted Warnock was last game.

Outs: Curnow, Thornton, Ellard, Joseph

In: Brock, Laidler, Watson, Lucas (possible for Hendo or Hampson)

Not wrong Toad.
I think many may have forgotten just how much sense he makes to our structure.
Thankfully Walker has picked up a little of the slack, but that is really not his role.

Some still want to bag Walker, but we wouldn't have wanted to be without him forward this season.
Ratten would be rapt with his performances to date.

We desperately need Henderson back but only if he's in form. This would probably be the worst possible game to play an underdone tall forward given Scarlett and Taylor's penchant for intercepting opposition kicks and paying little respect to inferior opponents.

Don't get me wrong, I rate Hendo very highly and acknowledge his importance to our structure, I'm just not sure that he's ready for senior football yet. An outstanding game for the Bullants this week though could see him given his chance...

Im amazed at the amount of people saying that Ellard should be dropped. I've seen nothing yet that even comes close to warrant his omission. Could those of you suggesting that he may/ should be dropped elaborate a little further as to why you think that?

Im amazed at the amount of people saying that Ellard should be dropped. I've seen nothing yet that even comes close to warrant his omission. Could those of you suggesting that he may/ should be dropped elaborate a little further as to why you think that?

Quite simply his kicking was atrocious.
I'm not saying he should definitely be dropped, but it has to come into consideration because we were sorely lacking an extra tall.
Him or AJ out in my opinion (along with Thornton and Curnow).

It's not necessarily that he's been bad, although last night his field kicking was very ordinary. My reasons are structural although I still have him as a sub.

Cats have a tall forward line: we'd expect Laidler to come back for Thornton, Mac for Ed and some posters, me included are talking about possibly Hendo and or Watson.

Anyhow our wish lists on here won't influence the MC so no big deal either way really.

Quite simply his kicking was atrocious.
I'm not saying he should definitely be dropped, but it has to come into consideration because we were sorely lacking an extra tall.
Him or AJ out in my opinion (along with Thornton and Curnow).

I agree with you. His kicking last night was absolutely terrible, especially in one part of the game (2nd quarter I think) where he had about 5 shanks in as many minutes. However, if poor kicking is his main concern at the moment then i'll take that, as it can be easily fixed. And I don't think that alone is enough for him to lose his spot, and I anticipate that the MC will see it the same (could always be wrong though). For me, it's AJ who loses his spot.

AJ had 9 disposals and 2 tackles, not good enough.

Out: Thornton, Joseph, Curnow*
In: White*, Laidler, McLean

Watson if White is still out, Tuohy a big chance too

i'd like to think there will be 3 or 4 changes to the side becasue i think it can be improved on but history shows that Ratts will stick with the same lineup (bar the curnow injury) after a win even if there are better performing players in the 2s...

Out: Curnow (if injured :(, hopefully doesn't stop his good form, however he has come back from a broken leg) Thornton - Thanks for the memories Joseph - Don't really see a role for him (without his bitch Gazza :p), maybe stokes?

In: McLean (They've been talking about how he is in if the opportunity presents, opportunity (unfortunately) presented, White (With Ottens, Hawkins and Podsiadly, that extra tall is pretty crucial) Laidler - Hasn't put a foot wrong. Best suited to Duncan IMO who cannot go under the radar, quality footballer

Key Match - up
Varcoe vs Yarran - Could be worth going just to see that

With the bye - this could be over 2000 posts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have had problems with good small forwards - Milne chopped up a few opponents in kicking 4, L.Thomas last year caused headaches - do we need to develop a "stopper" or chance it and run with Yaz, Duigs, Laids, JR in shut-down/run-off roles??
We need to match/beat Geelong's mids and break even/win in defence. Their inability to match our speed up forward will win it for us. They are well drilled and strong at the contest but Milburn, Hunt, Taylor, Enright and Lonergan haven't got the legs to go with Betts, Jeffy, Waite, Setanta, Walker.

Out: Curnow (if injured :(, hopefully doesn't stop his good form, however he has come back from a broken leg) Thornton - Thanks for the memories Joseph - Don't really see a role for him (without his bitch Gazza :p), maybe stokes?

In: McLean (They've been talking about how he is in if the opportunity presents, opportunity (unfortunately) presented, White (With Ottens, Hawkins and Podsiadly, that extra tall is pretty crucial) Laidler - Hasn't put a foot wrong. Best suited to Duncan IMO who cannot go under the radar, quality footballer

Key Match - up

With the bye - this could be over 2000 posts

Another key match up js517

JR v Stevie J

Rusty has given him a bath the last few times. :thumbsu:

OUT: Curnow, Thornton, Joseph
IN: McLean, Laidler, White

Podsiadly - Jamo (a given)
Stevie - JR (has done well on him in the past)
Selwood - McLean (can go in and under too, must wear him like a glove to stop him winning his own ball. McLeans ability to win the hard ball keep Selwood accountable)
Chapman - Carrots (Chapman can tear teams apart, can be much more damaging than gazz, when given a job to do, carrots usually does it well)
Varcoe - Yazz (This is probably one of the most mouth watering matchups, both are great to watch)
Stokes - Armfield (need someone with pace that can limit someones influence, armfield seems like the best option)
Ling - Judd (given, unless he goes to murphy for some strange reason)
White - Hawkins (next biggest defender we have, if struggling can go forward and setant to go back)
Mooney - Laidler (mooney likes to run up the ground, would say laidler has the biggest tank of the bigger backmen. duigan needs to be helping chop off whatever balls are going to the big men)
ottens - warnock (warnock has to be mindfull of how good ottens is, but must also hurt ottens going the other way, must bust his arse all night)

the key to winning is fairly simple, win the hard ball and get it into the 50 as quick as possible to our forwards advantage. the three indigenous boys up front have the pace to burn off defenders so they must work hard to get into space. push up into the middle to keep the forward line open with just waite/setant n one of the three. keeps the pressure on the defenders as the forwards have room to work in, and then have the other 2 boys streaming in from the centre to get the crumbs and keep the ball locked in.

if our kicking is off, we have no chance. their defence will chop everything off and hurt us the other way

Key Match - up
This! Varcoe is a very potent and dangerous man, I would love to see Yaz go to him, that battle off our halfback line would be something to watch... I think with their medium forwards, Johnson and Varcoe, shut down hopefully by JR and Yaz, and with our run and carry off halfback, this might be a crucial area of play throughout the game... could set us up all night.

At the moment I'd go with something like this

Duigan Jamison Russell
Yarran Henderson Laidler
Carrazzo Judd Simpson
Garlett Waite Gibbs
Betts O'hAilpin Walker
Warnock Murphy McLean
Robinson Ellard Scotland
Sub: Armfield/Tuohy/Lucas

If Laidler is still injured then Watson in instead.

Carrazzo to run with Bartel

Gibbs defensive forward on Enright

Russell on SJ, Jamison on Podsiadly. If Laidler plays then he goes to Mooney Hendo on Hawkins. If Watson in he takes Hawkins and Henderson on Mooney.

We have had problems with good small forwards - Milne chopped up a few opponents in kicking 4, L.Thomas last year caused headaches - do we need to develop a "stopper" or chance it and run with Yaz, Duigs, Laids, JR in shut-down/run-off roles??
We need to match/beat Geelong's mids and break even/win in defence. Their inability to match our speed up forward will win it for us. They are well drilled and strong at the contest but Milburn, Hunt, Taylor, Enright and Lonergan haven't got the legs to go with Betts, Jeffy, Waite, Setanta, Walker.

This is why I reckon Army needs to go back to what he does best - which is shut these guys down. 3 of Milne's 4 goals were kicked on AJ in the first quarter because AJ can't shut down small forwards. I don't know why they keep trying him in that role.

Army may have asked to be moved into the midfield but TBH he's not needed there, however a number of teams have a dangerous small forward who needs to be minded.

Personally I can't think of anyone who is better at it in the team than Army.

Yaz is an offensive backman and wouldn't be tight enough on a Milne or a Thomas and these sort of guys are too sneaky for Jr.

Maybe Army doesn't play every game as a Brisbane or a West Coast for example don't have those sort of players but guys like Ballantyne, Thomas, Milne can turn a game.

IN: Watson, Laidler, McLean
OUT: Thornton, Joseph, Curnow (if injured)

Might head down and watch the Ants this week, hope to see Kruz out there too:cool:

Shaping up to be the real test to see where we're at in terms of our chances to win the flag this year.

We are 3rd, but the season is still relatively young, win this one and we can probably go on and keep winning till round 17.

First things first. Goal kicking accuracy MUST be fixed if we are to be any chance. We got let off the hook by Richmond, Essendon, Adelaide and the Sinners. Geelong will not let us off with bad accuracy. With the bye this week it would be good to see if Ratts runs a special goal kicking drill.

Also, with Curnow likely to miss, McLean has to step up. We gave away pick 11 for him, he seems to be over his injuries for now, so time to step up and return the faith that the club and its supporters have put in you. Did well against the Cats last year IIRC.

Another thing we need is some starting 22 defenders back in, Thornton is finished. Arguing with team mates all the time, blaming everyone but himself, sorry mate we don't need that sort of poison in our team. Laidler looks set to return with the extra week off. Bower coming back will be a big bonus but unfortunately seems like he'll miss a bit and that leaves White who seems to be getting better each game, hopefully he can come back against the Cats as well, if not bring Watson in because we need some height down there. Craig exposed us with Walker, Tippett and McKernan in their forward line and I'm pretty sure the Cats will try and do that too with Mooney, Hawkins, Ottens and Pods.

Curnow confirmed to be out for 3-4 weeks.

Imagine Mr Ed comes back with a few mates and Brock gets into good form.

Russell, Jamison, Laidler
Yarran, Bower, Duigan
Simpson, Gibbs, Scotland
Walker, Kreuzer, Houlihan
Garlett, Waite, Betts
Warnock, Judd, Murphy

Curnow, Carrazzo, Robinson, McLean

^^Please let us have this side come finals time!

In: Henderson Mclean Tuohy Lucas Laidler
Out: Thornton Curnow Armfield Ellard Joseph
wow
5 changes to a team that has won 2 tough games bringing in some unknowns

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 9 - Carlton v Geelong @ Etihad Friday May 20th 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back