Preview Round 9 - Carlton v Geelong @ Etihad Friday May 20th 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Round 9 - Carlton v Geelong @ MCG

wow
5 changes to a team that has won 2 tough games bringing in some unknowns
Unknowns or un-West Australians?

All of the ins bar Tuohy are better footballers...Tuohy ticks more boxes than Armfield who also happens to be a code convert...Zach is yet to play, but he's got more size than Ellard and Armfield...And skill...His bulk could be handy against the Cats who are a physically mature side...The 22 will be even faster if Lucas and Tuohy are brought in...Could work to our advantage against the Cats.

Re: Round 9 - Carlton v Geelong @ MCG

Unknowns or un-West Australians?

All of the ins bar Tuohy are better footballers...Tuohy ticks more boxes than Armfield who also happens to be a code convert...Zach is yet to play, but he's got more size than Ellard and Armfield...And skill...His bulk could be handy against the Cats who are a physically mature side...The 22 will be even faster if Lucas and Tuohy are brought in...Could work to our advantage against the Cats.
i certainly want brock to be given a go to make or break him
lucas does not sound ready but i would not complain
ellard's kicking was not great but he was getting in and getting the ball
army did ok as sub blanketing his opp which should be his role

At the moment I'd go with something like this

Duigan Jamison Russell
Yarran Henderson Laidler
Carrazzo Judd Simpson
Garlett Waite Gibbs
Betts O'hAilpin Walker
Warnock Murphy McLean
Robinson Ellard Scotland
Sub: Armfield/Tuohy/Lucas

If Laidler is still injured then Watson in instead.

Carrazzo to run with Bartel

Gibbs defensive forward on Enright

Russell on SJ, Jamison on Podsiadly. If Laidler plays then he goes to Mooney Hendo on Hawkins. If Watson in he takes Hawkins and Henderson on Mooney.
Mate.. you make so much sense... :thumbsu:

This is why I reckon Army needs to go back to what he does best - which is shut these guys down. 3 of Milne's 4 goals were kicked on AJ in the first quarter because AJ can't shut down small forwards. I don't know why they keep trying him in that role.

Army may have asked to be moved into the midfield but TBH he's not needed there, however a number of teams have a dangerous small forward who needs to be minded.

Personally I can't think of anyone who is better at it in the team than Army.

Yaz is an offensive backman and wouldn't be tight enough on a Milne or a Thomas and these sort of guys are too sneaky for Jr.

Maybe Army doesn't play every game as a Brisbane or a West Coast for example don't have those sort of players but guys like Ballantyne, Thomas, Milne can turn a game.

Yes....100%

Army was good on him, fast and zippy was perfect for Milne

We should be able to roll the Cats, the over use of the handball is what gets them into trouble so if we can continue our high pressure game we will win massively out of this.

The other thing that wins them games is midfield domination, we have the cattle to break even or beat them here which is another big plus.

Add both these things to Geelong being the 2nd worst tackling side in the comp (We average 17 more tackles per game) and really I am more worried about the curse of the bye rather then the opposition.

This game could be crucial for us at the end of the year. I can honestly say that I think we are a pretty good chance at finishing top 4 this year. If we were to come 3rd (Collingwood and Geelong top 2) we'd have Geelong in the qualifying final. If we can come out with our best form after the bye and win what will be a tight contest, it will hopefully give the boys the confidence and the self belief that will be needed in finals.

Pity that Curnow's out, been a wonderful pick up this year. You would assume that Mclean would take his spot. We need to bring in Hendo next week. Waite constantly pushes up the ground leaving us with Betts and Gartlett competing in marking contests against much taller players. Irish does well and always give it all, but Hendo is our future foward and we need to get him genuine gametime against geniune opponents. With Mackie, Enright, Hunt, Scarlett in the Cats defence, brining in Hendo would give us a better constest in the forward fifty. I guess the only concern is his match fitness.

To win against the Cats our goal kicking needs to improve. It has been pretty sloppy all year. We need to compose ourselves in the forward 50 and take set shots rather that snap shots on the run.

I felt that against the Saints we looked too small in defence with Laidler and White out, and against the Cats talls we need some help back there. Anyone know whether Bower is a chance to come back?? If not I'd assume White (if fit) would come back or mabye Watson.

INS: White/Watson, Hendo, Mclean, Laidler

OUT: Ed, AJ, Thornton, Army

Russell, Jamison, Duigan
Yarran, White/Watson, Laidler
Simpson, Mclean, Gibbs
Walker, Waite, Carrazzo
Betts, Hendo, Gartlett
Warnock, Judd, Murphy
Robinson, Scotland , O'hAilpin SUB: Ellard

Thread should be named "Round 9 - Carlton v Geelong @ Etihad Friday May 20th 7.40pm Part 1" with the bye this week there is going to be a ridiculous amount of posts :p

This game could be crucial for us at the end of the year. I can honestly say that I think we are a pretty good chance at finishing top 4 this year. If we were to come 3rd (Collingwood and Geelong top 2) we'd have Geelong in the qualifying final. If we can come out with our best form after the bye and win what will be a tight contest, it will hopefully give the boys the confidence and the self belief that will be needed in finals.

Pity that Curnow's out, been a wonderful pick up this year. You would assume that Mclean would take his spot. We need to bring in Hendo next week. Waite constantly pushes up the ground leaving us with Betts and Gartlett competing in marking contests against much taller players. Irish does well and always give it all, but Hendo is our future foward and we need to get him genuine gametime against geniune opponents. With Mackie, Enright, Hunt, Scarlett in the Cats defence, brining in Hendo would give us a better constest in the forward fifty. I guess the only concern is his match fitness.

To win against the Cats our goal kicking needs to improve. It has been pretty sloppy all year. We need to compose ourselves in the forward 50 and take set shots rather that snap shots on the run.

I felt that against the Saints we looked too small in defence with Laidler and White out, and against the Cats talls we need some help back there. Anyone know whether Bower is a chance to come back?? If not I'd assume White (if fit) would come back or mabye Watson.

INS: White/Watson, Hendo, Mclean, Laidler

OUT: Ed, AJ, Thornton, Army

Russell, Jamison, Duigan
Yarran, White/Watson, Laidler
Simpson, Mclean, Gibbs
Walker, Waite, Carrazzo
Betts, Hendo, Gartlett
Warnock, Judd, Murphy
Robinson, Scotland , O'hAilpin SUB: Ellard

Reckon we may have it...but yeh

I have a good feeling about this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other change I see coming is for the inclusion of Tuohy against Geelong.
With getting Laidler back giving us a little more confidence down back, the MC may just have a serious look at trialing Tuohy.
Getting the feeling his shot isn't far away.

I think I was one of the only people on twitter yesterday for BluesQandA with Brock McLean who got their question answered, seemed like it was a bit of a flop but I asked who he thought would be the next Carlton debutant and why.

Zach Tuohy would be my guess. His current form is great and he's got all the attributes to make it in AFL.

FB: White------Thornton-----Laidler

HB: Russell-----Jamison------Yarran

C: Scotland-----Gibbs-------Lucas

HF: Walker-----Waite------Simpson

FF: Garlett----Henderson----Betts

Foll: Warnock, Judd, Murphy

Bench: Duigan, McLean, Hampson

Sub: Robinson

Herald Sun says Cachia is on the cusp of selection. ..ahh yer, probs not

God they're nuffies...

He is a good prospect but he is still a fair way off IMO. Having said that he's certainly one to watch and after a few more performances like the one last week then he could knock down the door. I would think next year would be more his go.

God they're nuffies...

He is a good prospect but he is still a fair way off IMO. Having said that he's certainly one to watch and after a few more performances like the one last week then he could knock down the door. I would think next year would be more his go.
His recent performances have been great but the HUN don't seem to realise he hasn't even been elevated to the senior list while McLean has been just as good and can come straight into the team.

I have been saying this for two years. Eddie betts must be told that if he takes a mark inside 50 he is allowed to look for 2 seconds to make a pass and after that he has to go into the goal kicking routine. He is not alllowed to llok anywhere else apart from his target behind the goal. It is not that hard seriously how a professional sportsman cannot figure out iof you are looking around when you are walking in to kick a goal your focus is not on the skill and the results will be poor. Just focus and the results will come.

I have been saying this for two years. Eddie betts must be told that if he takes a mark inside 50 he is allowed to look for 2 seconds to make a pass and after that he has to go into the goal kicking routine. He is not alllowed to llok anywhere else apart from his target behind the goal. It is not that hard seriously how a professional sportsman cannot figure out iof you are looking around when you are walking in to kick a goal your focus is not on the skill and the results will be poor. Just focus and the results will come.

Only Eddie :confused:

How about the whole bloody team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 9 - Carlton v Geelong @ Etihad Friday May 20th 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back