Round 9 - St Kilda vs Melbourne @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Ben McEvoy will be one of the elite ruckman of the comp in a few years. I am not worried at all by his tap work currently as that will come and of the fact that he has been ommitted this week.

What other 21 year old ruckman has been a superstar at that age? In majority of cases, none. Neither is McEvoy but he is getting valuable experience now. Mark Jamar was a spud until recently, Dean Cox started out as a rookie, Shane Mumford was a hot dog eating king and Melbourne couldn't get rid of Darren Jolly quick enough. Ruckman take time to develop. In time, big Ben will be a star. He is a shining light for our future.

dropping McEvoy is probably as a rest. he has been doing it all alone this year.

but you can't bring in 8 - 10 new players and expect to win games of football.

Dropping McEvoy was my concern. Particularly when I noticed that Blake was named as the ruck & Kosi as full forward. But if he needs a rest then he needs a rest.

Blake is OK as a pinch hit ruck when the real ruckman is on the bench but he is not a full time ruckman.

Kosi would make a good full time ruck, we need someone to act as the other big target down forward to stop teams triple & double teaming Nick.

Maybe same time as a forward would be good for Goddard.

According to DT stats, Ben McEvoy is 13th on the average points, behind: Cox, Sandilands, Goldstein, Minson, Hille, Mumford, Leuenberger, Graham, Wood, Jamar, Petrie, and Ottens. If you take away all those who are in a much later stage of maturity, such as Cox, Sandilands, Goldstein, Minson, Hille, Mumford and Ottens, then our 21 year old seems to be doing pretty darn well, considering. I might add, everybody from Wood down are only separated by less than one point, so that side of things is pretty arbitrary. Perhaps we should remember he's got a fair few years to go to be at the level of maturity of the like the two WA guns, who are 29 and 30.

Utterly bizarre ruck combo. Just, well, phewff, I got nothing. I mean, they're both the past, they're clearly not the future, and they're both in terrible form, and they're not full-time rucks. Sure, give Macca a rest, but, hell, chuck Stanley in there instead - he won't play in the ruck worse than either of those selections, and one more game into him is a bit more experience and growth.

Just... woah... inexplicable.

Your fired up man!

Is the impending Rapture tomorrow also playing on your mind?

The four horsemen of the Apocalypse could certainly give us some run out of the backline

Krusden, I think the stats lie a little because Cox would have been the #2 ruckman behind Gardiner at that stage, and McEvoy is rucking the majority of the time.

Having said that, despite his struggles, his fitness means that he has been getting more competitive as games have gone on, and he has been fine in the non-hit-out part of the game. If he needs a rest then fair enough, and he has been doing a huge amount of work, but I'm not too worried about his development. Despite all that, it is an area in which we are often beaten.

Your fired up man!

Is the impending Rapture tomorrow also playing on your mind?

The four horsemen of the Apocalypse could certainly give us some run out of the backline
:D Yeah, I read that article too. :eek: If you want to discuss it more (I really hope you don't! It's just embarrassing... :eek:), you can take it to the Thinky/Goddy thread in the Enclosure.

But yeah, why Stanley isn't playing for us this week is inexplicable.

Krusden, I think the stats lie a little because Cox would have been the #2 ruckman behind Gardiner at that stage, and McEvoy is rucking the majority of the time.

Having said that, despite his struggles, his fitness means that he has been getting more competitive as games have gone on, and he has been fine in the non-hit-out part of the game. If he needs a rest then fair enough, and he has been doing a huge amount of work, but I'm not too worried about his development. Despite all that, it is an area in which we are often beaten.

I've been more impressed with macca this year as opposed to last with his movement around the ground and his fitness is certainly improving as a developing player.
Probably would have been great to have had another year of him playing second fiddle to a more experienced ruck however in an ideal world.

Dean cox - at 21 in his first 7 games he had 99 hitouts.
Macca this year - at 21 - in his first 7 games has 134.

Cox took a long time to develop, he was a pretty average player when he first started and nowhere near as good as McEvoy at the same age.

It was really only when Gardiner got injured/went off the rails and Cox had to step up to be the no.1 ruckman that he started to turn into the great player he is today. He must have been around 24/25 by that stage so McEvoy still has a few years before he starts to reach his peak.

:D Yeah, I read that article too. :eek: If you want to discuss it more (I really hope you don't! It's just embarrassing... :eek:), you can take it to the Thinky/Goddy thread in the Enclosure.

But yeah, why Stanley isn't playing for us this week is inexplicable.

Perhaps because he can't get a kick at Sandy, just because he is 6 foot 7 doesnt mean he can play.
Pity Tom Lynch was knocked out last week, would have played this week.

Perhaps because he can't get a kick at Sandy, just because he is 6 foot 7 doesnt mean he can play.

Pity Tom Lynch was knocked out last week, would have played this week.

?

Rhys had 16 possessions, 5 marks and 4 spoils in shithouse conditions last week against Box Hill.

15 possessions, 6 marks, 25 hitouts and a goal the week before.

?

7 April 2011
I hate to say it but my comments about Lyon not rating Tom Lynch last year have come to fruition, no pace, can't spread ala Luke Ball. I wish it was different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Furthermore, I think it's simply a question of cost-for-now (ie, winning games) vs value-for-future. If you compare the cost-for-now of Blake or Kosi vs Stanley as ruck against Melbourne, I suggest that there is not really THAT much difference... Rhys may not be awesome, but I don't actually think either of them will be either. In terms of value-for-future, Rhys wins hands down. Neither of those players will be playing in 2013 or 2014 (I would suggest that they may not be around in 2014!).

Dunno Percy. Kosi could very well put in a big performance tomorrow (against weakened opposition). Don't have a major problem with Rhys being out if he is playing as a ruckman (although it's a shame there is no VFL game).

I just don't know why people have to trash him at 20yo. He's improving steadily and just needs a bit more meat on the sticks (which might encourage him to go in a bit harder at the contest). The opposition ruckmen in the VFL are not duds but he's doing OK. Check the highlights of the Sandy game for the last passage of play - the Zebs are behind and everyone is tired. Who gets a lovely tap-down which gave us a chance to win on the siren?

I guess what I'm saying Squizz is that, even if Kosi helps us win the battle, he isn't going to win us the war. Stanley could - and life is full of potentialities, I recognise - help us win both.

I guess what I'm saying Squizz is that, even if Kosi helps us win the battle, he isn't going to win us the war. Stanley could - and life is full of potentialities, I recognise - help us win both.

Nah - I'm with you in a general sense.

I just think Rhys is a forward who is grappling with what is a completely different role. He was brought into the Saints team when he wasn't playing well with the Zebs. Now he is playing well, I'd prefer him to start grabbing more VFL games by the scruff.

Plenty of time for him to make a very good AFL player.

Look I agree with this and have been on this slant since 08-09. But as long as the youngs get all the opportunities they are given and PERSISTED with then all well and good. We cant influence the past.

Nah - I'm with you in a general sense.

I just think Rhys is a forward who is grappling with what is a completely different role. He was brought into the Saints team when he wasn't playing well with the Zebs. Now he is playing well, I'd prefer him to start grabbing more VFL games by the scruff.

Plenty of time for him to make a very good AFL player.

He certainly deserved to be dropped (and really did not deserve to be selected in the first place) - I think it was mainly an attitude issue at the time (both playing for Sandy and for St Kilda).

The last two games, however, that I have seen him play for Sandy (missed the Williamstown game), he was good. He got his hand to the ball in rucking contests without giving away 10+ free kicks, goy himself involved around the ground (as Squizzy pointed out, he could do more, but he clearly improved), he is incredibly quick for such a tall player and mainly appears to have got the message that he is not a superstar (yet) and will need to work to get there. I am sure that if he continues the way he is now, he will get his chance again soon.

And I will never be disappointed to see Kosi in the team - the new interpretation of the ruck role may be gold for him as he will be involved and hopefully get his confidence up. And (with McEvoy out whose contested marks have been his one clear positive this year) he is the only other big body who can take a big mark and thus prevent another defender from helping out three others already on Riewoldt...

It looks like we have enough pace.

Peake, Winmar, Montagna all quick.

Hopefully our skills are up to scratch and we don't let Martin ruck well.

Moloney is the clearance man and we need to win more contested footy.

I'm worried about Jurrah kicking goals. Can't let them have too many easy inside 50s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 9 - St Kilda vs Melbourne @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back