News Rucci: Travis Boak may not renew contract at Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
isn't it funny how little exposure we get that i've seen comments on other forums honestly saying "who even cares (about the contract saga), is travis boak even a good player..". people don't even know how travis boak plays and he's our "most known player" but even that is just shit that guys like craig hutchinson make up. some port supporters think he isn't that good and wouldn't mind trading him because he is an inside player so we don't see the sexy stuff like we do with hartlett. people say he's overrated, underrated, many don't care, many have an opinion but know less about us than the people who don't care! those ones annoy me the most.

i just hate where the game is heading, all that's been shoved down our throats lately is GWS and GC and how grand they are for our game and how free agency is so spectacular. it's just already turning us into england where they are savage, where players aren't even treated like human beings, where one good game has you as the next big thing and one bad game has you at the bottom of the pile. it's very sad for me to see this happen to this game. i only had a few short years where i followed football but had the originality and the purity of AFL to come back to when all the shit got too much to deal with. now the shit has infiltrated australia..

Fair call. At least you guys have a never ending list of stars to take of from Ablett. This is not a luxury we have, we are absolutely screwed for talent. Thank god Ebert came over and Broadbent has stepped up, but other than that we have no one. Some dark days ahead if he goes.
Honest question, what happened to Port after 2007?

I'm not trolling and please do not blame it on the 2007 GF. Why did Port drop? It's a shame and I actually like Port.

Who do you think should be the highest paid player at Port right now?

I would suggest that whoever is highest paid right now is likely to be the highest paid ever due to the increasing salary cap.

I think we have a core group of young talented players that should all be paid about the same (Gray, Boak, Hartlett, Trengove, Ebert, Broadbent). Putting Boak on a pedestal salary-wise would be another list management mistake.

All the signs are there that he will be leaving IMO
Don't lose hope till he actually announces he's leaving.

I will admit, none of this speculation has come remotely near the horse's mouth.

Plus there has to be a reason TSW is so sure of Boak staying.

Honest question, what happened to Port after 2007?

I'm not trolling and please do not blame it on the 2007 GF. Why did Port drop? It's a shame and I actually like Port.

Injuries to Chad Cornes and shaun burgoyne and the dropping of form of Peter Burgoyne and Brendon Lade set us back.

westhoff stuggled when decent defenders manned up on him.

retirements of Wakelin, wilson etc.

And the main reason i think is that other teams just got better after 2007 which was a very weak year apart from geelong.

i just hate where the game is heading, all that's been shoved down our throats lately is GWS and GC and how grand they are for our game and how free agency is so spectacular. it's just already turning us into england where they are savage, where players aren't even treated like human beings, where one good game has you as the next big thing and one bad game has you at the bottom of the pile. it's very sad for me to see this happen to this game. i only had a few short years where i followed football but had the originality and the purity of AFL to come back to when all the shit got too much to deal with. now the shit has infiltrated australia..[/quote]

Top comment simba. "Way back when" Port joined the AFL, the League was being promoted as the elite of Aussie Rules. But now the elite talent has been significantly diluted purely in the interests of big business and TV rights.There are far too many over rated, overpaid kids running around it's almost embarrassing. 30% of players could be culled as they are never going to be top quality let alone elite. Clubs cobble together teams just like basketball and soccer and then expect fans to stay loyal to what? Hopefully a few years in the top and then more years bumbling along the bottom.

As a geriatric, I understand things must change and the 'good ol' Port days' cannot be replicated, but I hope the Port soul hasn't been destroyed - the last few years hurt and are plain embarrassing.

Injuries to Chad Cornes and shaun burgoyne and the dropping of form of Peter Burgoyne and Brendon Lade set us back.

westhoff stuggled when decent defenders manned up on him.

retirements of Wakelin, wilson etc.

And the main reason i think is that other teams just got better after 2007 which was a very weak year apart from geelong.
Makes sense. I understand you guys have lost over half your 2007 GF side.

Don't stress, it's just rebuilding time. It happens to everyyyy single club. It'll be over as soon as you know it.

But at the end of the day Geelong isnt EXACLTY right next to his home is it???
So if it was family reasons surely being back in VIC is the main thing. So in saying that cos money doesnt matter according to him and its his family shouldnt he be happy to play for melbourne?

About 70% of the current Geelong team live in Torquay and Jan Juc area

Anyone familiar with the Dwight Howard saga in the NBA would know it's never over until it's over.

I do honestly believe we can win any trade though as we have more key players to build around who are 18-22 years old and adding top draft picks to this group of players could really set us up in the future, even if it means more short term pain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no he put it off put it off then asked for a trade, had the coach sacked, still wanted a trade and then took his player option and so they'll go through it all again soon.

I'm still not overly worried tbh.

We heard all of this crap last time with Boak and Trengove and Carlile and Gray and Butcher. This really isn't any worse apart from the media beatup, but even then he was a "done deal" to Essendon last time, so why worry this time?

maybe we should all mail 20c coins to the club

Ah yes one of football's great myths. Chris Grant didn't stay at Footscray because a kid sent him 20c. Chris Grant stayed at Footscray because they matched Port's offer.

i just hate where the game is heading, all that's been shoved down our throats lately is GWS and GC and how grand they are for our game and how free agency is so spectacular. it's just already turning us into england where they are savage, where players aren't even treated like human beings, where one good game has you as the next big thing and one bad game has you at the bottom of the pile. it's very sad for me to see this happen to this game. i only had a few short years where i followed football but had the originality and the purity of AFL to come back to when all the shit got too much to deal with. now the shit has infiltrated australia
Top comment simba. "Way back when" Port joined the AFL, the League was being promoted as the elite of Aussie Rules. But now the elite talent has been significantly diluted purely in the interests of big business and TV rights.There are far too many over rated, overpaid kids running around it's almost embarrassing. 30% of players could be culled as they are never going to be top quality let alone elite. Clubs cobble together teams just like basketball and soccer and then expect fans to stay loyal to what? Hopefully a few years in the top and then more years bumbling along the bottom.

As a geriatric, I understand things must change and the 'good ol' Port days' cannot be replicated, but I hope the Port soul hasn't been destroyed - the last few years hurt and are plain embarrassing.

Good post

A lot of us see it through your eyes,even me as a supporter of the reigning premiers.I really don't like where the AFL are heading.

Ah yes one of football's great myths. Chris Grant didn't stay at Footscray because a kid sent him 20c. Chris Grant stayed at Footscray because they matched Port's offer.
He was very touched and he did meet with the kid didn't he?
Or is that also a myth?

He was very touched and he did meet with the kid didn't he?
Or is that also a myth?

If you are going to create a myth for the media you do it properly. I'm not saying the kid didn't send the money just that it wasn't the deciding factor. But it's very romantic for people to believe.

A combination of the two, but Grant said the the kid thing was important so it's not a myth. We offered him the captaincy and more money. Then Footscray matched the money, and while he weighed up moving etc the kid sent his pocket money in.

A combination of the two, but Grant said the the kid thing was important so it's not a myth. We offered him the captaincy and more money. Then Footscray matched the money, and while he weighed up moving etc the kid sent his pocket money in.

They matched the money and it made a lovely story. You're not going soft are you Powerstufff? ;)

He will go. assumption made purely on (smoke fire) analysis, plus the fact that his silence is deafening. The club would have had him front and centre every opportunity they could over the last week or so. A bit like a Lyrebird displaying its feathers to mark its territory and ward off potential threats and attract mates. I think the real ramification will come at the end of the year with who stays/goes. If he goes it will make a huge impact on who ends up moved on and who stays. Knowing the area well most Geelong boys live down that way. Lovely part of the world. Geelong made a play for and missed on Dangerman, so fair to say they are having a genuine crack.

Wouldn't read too much into it all. A 5yr deal and big $$$ is not what Boak is looking for.

But what I would ask is that, if he is OK with signing for us but really does feel like he should be back home, should we really be pushing him to stay?

Is it worth keeping him on big $$$ when there are all these other distractions going on? Will he perform the way we want him to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back