Ryan Nyhuis tackle on Robbie Gray

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolute no brainer this one : Nyhuis forced him over the boundary then decided to dump him , totally unnecessary .
Anything from 2 to 4 weeks a must.

What does the boundary line have to do with it?

Seen this mentioned a few times, don't see an issue there tbh, as they are falling both players are still inside the field of play. It's not like they were over the line then he unnecessarily dumped him into the ground.

Do you need to have that explained to you?

Do you know what happens when you cross it?

Yes, the tackle is inside the field of play, even when they are falling to ground their feet are still inside the field of play.

Edit: Here is an image from twitter, clearly inside the boundary. Claims to the contrary are just people trying to be outraged. Gray got hurt, thats not good but this guy doesn't deserve the outrage.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DiNRUBKUwAATasp.jpg

Was a hard tackle

Nhyuis should have known better than to turn him - if he had kept him side on to the ground he'd likely have zero case to answer for

On the other hand, if Gray hadn't have tried to kick, his foot likely wouldn't have left the ground and we wouldn't have been taken to ground so easily. I don't know why he grabbed Nhyuis' hand either. It's not just the tackler - it's a set of circumstances occurring that led to Gray KO'd on the floor

2-3 weeks would be a fair result based on the outcome (KO, not completing game)

Do you need to have that explained to you?

Do you know what happens when you cross it?
Yes, when you cross the boundary line to start the game you have to be prepared for a physical contest. Someone should explain that to Robbie Gray, who should've done more to protect himself. I'm not saying Nyhuis is innocent, far from it, but the boundary line is more relevant to Gray in this case than to the tackle!

Nyhuis' tackle is within the field of play and only finished over the line. It's irrelevant to the tackle. The whistle signally holding the ball is far more relevant, but even then Nyhuis isn't the first or last player to finish a tackle after a whistle has gone.

Yes, when you cross the boundary line to start the game you have to be prepared for a physical contest. Someone should explain that to Robbie Gray, who should've done more to protect himself. I'm not saying Nyhuis is innocent, far from it, but the boundary line is more relevant to Gray in this case than to the tackle!
Victim blaming isn't cool mate

Can I ask you a question PAFC_1870 ?

What is your preferred penalty here?
For mine its a 2 week suspension as whilst that tackle would have been a great tackle 10 years ago, now its not.
Yesterday people thought 1.

I say 2-4 is realistic.

Severe makes up for the careless. It was intentional in my eyes. I don't know how severe it was as I'm not the doctor...

Should be 2 weeks, not sure why Chrisso passed the buck but he's done that a fair bit this year.

Maybe the tribunal can provide some clarity to Gray and other players on how to protect themselves, and hopefully the tribunal provides some clarity to Nyhuis and others on how not to tackle.

Don't lift and dump, fold and roll like a corkscrew and use your weight to drag someone down.

Nyhuis' tackle is within the field of play and only finished over the line. It's irrelevant to the tackle. The whistle signally holding the ball is far more relevant, but even then Nyhuis isn't the first or last player to finish a tackle after a whistle has gone.

Tackle is at worst, careless. Those claiming 'intentional' and 'dog act' are crazy. Gray had at least one arm free but didn't use that to cushion the fall in any way. I have no idea why not.

The only good thing to come out this is he will likely play next week

Victim blaming isn't cool mate
Maybe not, but when you've been victim to more than 1 of these tackles you should be asking what are you doing wrong. Looked to me like Gray was actually trying to free his arms and had conceded the free kick, good for him, but he has to use his legs to push against the contact as well.

If the game is hell bent on protecting players then it can't just deal with punishments, it has to deal with prevention as well. Harris Andrews is exactly the same, his coaches need to tell him not to run front on in to oncoming players with his body full exposed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting knocked unconscious is the brain bouncing off the skull, which causes neurotransmitters to fire at the same time so the brain restarts = unconscious. If you are Ko'd, Thats because the brain took a tremendous amount of force. if you get a concussion but stay awake...The force didnt amount to the brain having to restart :)

I'm no doctor but I've taken my fair share of shots , I thought it was the jaw bone getting pushed back when you cop one on the chin

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe not, but when you've been victim to more than 1 of these tackles you should be asking what are you doing wrong. Looked to me like Gray was actually trying to free his arms and had conceded the free kick, good for him, but he has to use his legs to push against the contact as well.

If the game is hell bent on protecting players then it can't just deal with punishments, it has to deal with prevention as well. Harris Andrews is exactly the same, his coaches need to tell him not to run front on in to oncoming players with his body full exposed.
From memory Gibbs has done it atleast once maybe twice to him. Gray evades and wriggles outta tackles as good as any, he shouldn't be punished because of his ability when he's slammed head first.

Tackle is at worst, careless. Those claiming 'intentional' and 'dog act' are crazy. Gray had at least one arm free but didn't use that to cushion the fall in any way. I have no idea why not.

The only good thing to come out this is he will likely play next week
Gray's first reactions seem to be to use his right arm to break Nyhuis' arms away from him, he seems to have conceded the free kick. Right at the end he tries to brace, but similar to the Nic Nat tackle earlier in the year 1 arm is not enough to brace your fall with the forces at play and the angles involved here. He's landed on his left side. He gets his left elbow and right hand down but not with enough strength to stop his head bouncing off the turf. The lift and pivot around Gray's left leg means he's always going down hard on his head no matter what his arms are doing.

The grading of the impact as 'severe' is the wrong call in my opinion and leaves the MRO very little room to move in future incidents where the impact is genuinely severe.

If Gray had broken his jaw, fractured his skull or was taken from the ground straight to hospital, I would say fair enough - severe impact. But the fact that he was up and about 20 minutes later, sitting on the bench, joining the 3/4 time huddle and being well enough to travel home with the rest of the team suggests to me the impact was more 'high' than 'severe.'

Gray's first reactions seem to be to use his right arm to break Nyhuis' arms away from him, he seems to have conceded the free kick. Right at the end he tries to brace, but similar to the Nic Nat tackle earlier in the year 1 arm is not enough to brace your fall with the forces at play and the angles involved here. He's landed on his left side. He gets his left elbow and right hand down but not with enough strength to stop his head bouncing off the turf. The lift and pivot around Gray's left leg means he's always going down hard on his head no matter what his arms are doing.

I wouldn't argue with too much of that but I would still say it was more bad luck than bad intention. One arm is generally enough to take out the worst of any fall. The MRO has over-reacted in my view

So what does the lawyer argue? I don't think Gray did himself any favours trying to kick the ball off the ground; to a point it even looks like he tried to kick it with both feet such was his awareness. That contributed to him ended up arse over tit?
Proximity to the edge of the oval contributed to injury. Out of play aside he was entitled to tackle him whether some think he tried to then kill him is irrelevant.
If the QC can argue some fair points 2 weeks. If he has nothing to say afl says 4 and then Freo go no we will take 3 if you agree.

Should really rename the MRP the PRM Public Relations Machine.

I'm no doctor but I've taken my fair share of shots , I thought it was the jaw bone getting pushed back when you cop one on the chin

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Im not a doc either, Im sure it all plays a part to the brain deciding it has to restart. If enough force is pushing your jaw bone back, Then there is a good chance your brain moved inside your skull aswell :thumbsu:

I wouldn't argue with too much of that but I would still say it was more bad luck than bad intention. One arm is generally enough to take out the worst of any fall. The MRO has over-reacted in my view
The MRO could've or should've called it careless, high contact and high impact and made it 2 weeks.

But as they often do with high profile incidents they've sent it to the tribunal so everyone can have their say. All it took to send it to the tribunal was to call it severe and now both sides get to state their case.

If Freo do their job it should be deemed careless, high contact and high impact which will be 2 weeks. Will only be 3 weeks or more if the prosecutor convinces the jury it's severe impact and despite the concussion I don't think it was. Severe impact is for things like Harris Andrew's brain bleed or really deliberate acts.

Nyhuis will also get to state his case and I think the footy public will be sympathetic to him. I get Freo fans will be upset if he ends up with 2 weeks but I don't think he'll be looked at as a villain.

The MRO could've or should've called it careless, high contact and high impact and made it 2 weeks.

But as they often do with high profile incidents they've sent it to the tribunal so everyone can have their say. All it took to send it to the tribunal was to call it severe and now both sides get to state their case.

If Freo do their job it should be deemed careless, high contact and high impact which will be 2 weeks. Will only be 3 weeks or more if the prosecutor convinces the jury it's severe impact and despite the concussion I don't think it was. Severe impact is for things like Harris Andrew's brain bleed or really deliberate acts.

Nyhuis will also get to state his case and I think the footy public will be sympathetic to him. I get Freo fans will be upset if he ends up with 2 weeks but I don't think he'll be looked at as a villain.

My original thought, based on intent or lack of was 1 - 2 weeks but that was mostly on the result. Exact same tackle with the player standing up would be barely worth a free kick. If he gets 2 then bad luck. 3 would be too much

Should be 2 weeks, not sure why Chrisso passed the buck but he's done that a fair bit this year.

Maybe the tribunal can provide some clarity to Gray and other players on how to protect themselves, and hopefully the tribunal provides some clarity to Nyhuis and others on how not to tackle.

Don't lift and dump, fold and roll like a corkscrew and use your weight to drag someone down.
Problem is, you do that and the player often just keels over and you get called in the back. I am not sure there is an easy answer on how to tackle better with the rules we currently have.

This one wasn't even 2 clear actions, Nyhuis didn't pin both his arms, Gray was more focussed on trying to get rid of the ball than protect himself, etc. There are a lot of things that could have made this much worse and Gray didn't help much.

I'm guessing for it to be reduced from 'Severe' to 'High' impact a lot will depend on the PAFC medical report. What are the guidelines/protocols for this? I'm guessing everyone wants to avoid a situation where the medical report says that Robbie Gray nearly died and needed to have a complete head reconstruction, only to have him cleared to play this week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan Nyhuis tackle on Robbie Gray

Remove this Banner Ad

Back