Opinion Sack Hinkley 10 - UnTENable

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like we could both be on the hunt for a new coach come end of this season

If Carr doesn’t waltz into the job , thoughts on Buckley? Former magpies premiership player so link there

IMO, Dean Cox is the one to target
Long apprenticeship under Longmire

The SANFL will let this one slide because they would prefer Dixon get selected so we lose AFL games.
It's a win win for them and a loss loss for us. Great situation.

Dixon still probably good enough to scare some SANFL teams with his angry man face and make the magpies a bit better than slop, whilst at the same time giving the AFL team nothing.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

If Carr doesn’t waltz into the job , thoughts on Buckley? Former magpies premiership player so link there

There's very few I would say no to right now - trouble is, the club doesn't care what the fans think.

Ebert sacked after fails to win SF in 1987, lost 1984 GF as captain coach.
Cahill sacked at end of 1998 after another 6 SANFL flags and only 2 years in AFL missed finals by % in 1997. Williams forced to resign mid 2010, a premiership coach.

Today Port club has zero accountability zero ruthlessness and it's ingrained a large element of our supporters to accept the club spin beyond a decade

20240616_221409.jpg

Bucks couldn’t do in 9 years with the backing of Collingwood resources (financial and league influence)

He ain’t doing it in Adelaide

Let’s stop the AFL fascination with long term/recycled coaches. Especially the real dud ones like Lyon and Scott - which category bucks falls into

In no other sporting code around the world would these losers get a second chance

The interesting thing about our club ignoring members and fans with legitimate concern for the club regarding Hinkley is that we pull our membership numbers as a result of having the best membership to supporter ratio in the entire league. That comes with passion, and it also means that because we haven't been a bottom tier team, we don't exactly have a Richmond level amount of fans hiding in the woodwork right now. Why the club would be actively pushing away passionate members and passionate fans who are potential members because they're concerned about where the club is heading is ****ing baffling. I would've thought you'd want to keep as many members onside as you possibly can, but maybe not I guess.

We're getting Carr, it's as much of a lock as you can get with this sort of thing. We only hire from within.

I'm honestly fine with it, as long as he gets sacked when it becomes obvious that he's not the guy, like it did with Hinkley in 2017.
So Carr gets 5 years which means we send him off and promote Hartlett to senior coach in 2030

What do you think Carr would do with coaching appointments? He played at Port and Freo and coached at Port and Freo. and most of his time coaching at Freo was probably during COVID.

Its just going to be him and the same ex-Port players, and he'll likely be a worse coach than Hinkley. Like all our other appointments end up being downgrades on what came before.
If we'd have moved Ken on in 2019 or something, and gone with one of the 04 premiership players as our coach (which we know there was some solid coaching pedigree playing in that side), maybe there's a chance a few names from this team could've been assistants. Of course though, of all the names on this list we have two of them and the one that's not Josh Carr is ****ing Chad Cornes.
1718543375463.png

We're getting Carr, it's as much of a lock as you can get with this sort of thing. We only hire from within.

I'm honestly fine with it, as long as he gets sacked when it becomes obvious that he's not the guy, like it did with Hinkley in 2017.

Are you talking as if Carr won’t be the guy or that we just need to pull the trigger quicker if it becomes evident that he isn’t the guy?

Without at least trying it we will never know if he is the guy, no matter what happens from here it needs to start officially next year though. Hinkley is cooked beyond belief, literally 7-9 years past his used by date.

I think there were signs in 2015 and definitely 2016 that Hinkley wasn’t up to it. I reckon it was when we got smashed by Melbourne late in the season in 2016 that I was officially off him. 2017 was definitely an improvement on the previous 2 years which stuffed things up for us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m not. I wouldn’t have any faith in the current administration selecting from within.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In no other sporting code around the world would these losers get a second chance
This isn't even close to true. Sam Allardyce has been a manager of 12 different English clubs over 29 years without winning anything more than a fourth division title (roughly the equivalent of Hinkley's Bell Park premiership).

I attended my son's game on Saturday night - they were playing against their arch rival, who they'd never beaten, and it was an away game. I listened in on the post quarter addresses from the coaches, and the passion and relentless pursuit of victory was infectious. I thought to myself, "This club is so anti Port Adelaide."

Bottom line - they only gave up 3 scoring shots, on their way to a brilliant 51 point win.

I keep coming back to the fact that Carr's midfield group are performing well short of the sum of their parts.

Our midfield was much better under Schofield with less to work with.

Carr could even be a step back.
The question is how everything is incentivised.

Last year our mids were going great guns under carr, right up until they re-signed Hinkley then it all went to shit.

Right now Carr could have been promised the job but losing games means he takes over next year instead of 2026, which means he is incentivized to lose this year rather than win.

Just like last year Ken was incentivized to win games before August, rather than win finals, so he went all in and ran the playing list in to the ground to get the extension, then let everything fall apart in finals which didnt matter to him.

We are just so mindblowingly stupid in how we do things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back