Autopsy Saints kick the Bombers butts far into the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

vcAerRY.gif
You should be in Paris Doc.

That's gold !!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

When Max is there, the entries inside 50 are always centred around him which demotivates the rest of the forward line because they are getting no return for effort. There are two ways to fix this (that I can think of at least):

There needs to be a direct instruction by the coaches to avoid Max when possible so the distributors actively look for other targets. The balance between when to go and when not to go to Max needs to be a pre-season focus

Alternatively, move Max higher up the ground (which is my preferred strategy). Play him in the role he played in round 1 and round 2 - leverage his marking ability higher up the ground where it's harder for defenders to neutralise his run and jump. He is a relatively slim build, so improve his fitness base to enable him to run his more bulked up opposition full backs off their legs to kick goals off work rate - like Riewoldt did. Doesn't have to be a freak aerobic athlete, just needs to be fitter than his opposition - we already saw in the early rounds that he is already doing ok in this area. I feel like you have to put your most natural forward at FF, and I see that in Sharman with his leading patterns and forward craft.

Henry - King - Owens
Higgins - Sharman - Caminiti
Butler
Look at Sharman, Owens and Caminitis work up the ground though, if they aren't clunking them they were providing elite pressure. That Sharman play on the defensive wing where he won it then just took off forward and marked in front of the pack was elite.

I don't see King providing that level of work, gut running or pressure. It's time to rejoice in how we went today, so it's no doubt a discussion for another day - but I do wonder if we are a better team sans King, who ironically is potentially our best player when fit...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all seriousness I feel sick watching that - Saints have nearly broken me at times and I reckon some players will never be AFL level - but that’s just not right - give it away if that’s all u have to offer
I agree
Have left games frustrated
Have called umps maggots
But have never - with kids around- as a grown man ever felt the urge to scream like a pathetic pissant , swearing at top of my head at players leaving the field
Classy lot👍

Some of Zac Jones handballing in close was awesome. Something I've the side a whole have been very poor at for a while now
I love Zak's ability to time his handballs. He absorbs opposition pressure to create space then either dishes the ball off to a free man on the outside or he makes a sidestep that completely changes the angles of the game. Just wish he was a few years younger so I could actually see merit in playing him when Pou and Windy are back!

In all seriousness I feel sick watching that - Saints have nearly broken me at times and I reckon some players will never be AFL level - but that’s just not right - give it away if that’s all u have to offer
Not one of those PoS would say that to a player face to face, flipping cowards.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I love Zak's ability to time his handballs. He absorbs opposition pressure to create space then either dishes the ball off to a free man on the outside or he makes a sidestep that completely changes the angles of the game. Just wish he was a few years younger so I could actually see merit in playing him when Pou and Windy are back!
A few players getting blocks of games, Jones, Clark 8 in a row, Steele, etc. It helps to really get touch and match fitness.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I expected us to win and was confident about this game all week. Was an absolute gift of a tip this late in the season, only 17% picked us! It's been a tough season but if you aren't going to make finals the next best thing is to make life hell for teams fighting to make it.

Even though I was very confident, to win that easily and look that dominant was shocking and shows how mentally broken this current Essendon squad is. They don't lack for talent, but it seems like deep, deep down they knew they weren't really a serious finals side and 11th-15th is still where they belong. I almost felt bad at how easily they gave up.

It's been a strange season because we are clearly better then 14th/15th but we didn't manage to pinch enough wins early on when we were average but competitive, and this can be all it takes to end a season at the top level.

There are many positives to take from the last month and all our key indicators have us playing like a finals team. Whatever people think of Ross, credit has to be given to him and the coaching group that they have the players still committed to improving and competing, these wins are invaluable for the self belief of developing players. We've also made big strides in our attacking movement and ability to score (besides Adelaide).

Winning is fun! Let's keep doing it!

1e7c6af285a8adf6c786bffa5f4e6045.jpg

cb65d52ff19005a06b7c226be0c6884f.jpg

75aa97e1eebffa5f8133d4770eac7895.jpg

Best game I’ve seen from Zak Jones in the RWB.

It really looks like he’s playing a role as Inside / defence first mid that suits him perfectly. He’s started to look like the rebounding high half back we recruited from Sydney again, but with a clearance role. He’s not trying to do it all himself, rather just providing a critical link in the transition chain and deferring to Naz and Sincs to be the attacking dashers.

I’m really warming to him again. If he can keep this form going then he’s definitely earned another contract.

Based on today’s game he brings as much as Shiel would to the team, and probably worth a third of the price.

Cooper is a natural lead up forward. The other we have is Higgo.

King isn’t a natural at that but needs to recognise the value in it. Maybe he does need to be coached at it? I think so.

King suffers from the same thing that happens to many young, talented and media hyped key forwards. They were absolutely dominant in juniors and didn't have a need to work hard to win aerial contests or beat their opponent because they were simply so much more talented. The hype about the King twins in their draft year was reaching mythical status at one point.

I think he almost needs to be retrained in how he approaches his leading. He is unstoppable when able to jump and take the ball at the highest point and this can still be part of his arsenal, but there is an opportunity for him to improve his work ethic and leading patterns.

Max is important because he takes the best defender everytime. Dixon had an absolute stinker on paper for Port last night and looks like he can barely run, but structurally he was crucial to their comeback.
I am convinced that Max can and will succeed, it would be a mistake to trade him because we've had a few nice wins without him for which there are many reasons for beyond anything to do with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Saints kick the Bombers butts far into the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back