Autopsy Saints kick the Bombers butts far into the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

No.

Dont let some late season enjoyment change your mind on what needs to be done.
Definitely a fair comment from that poster as things have moved since a couple of months ago.

Byrnes is definitely worth another contract, possibly traidbait but not delisting by any stretch.

Jones and Membrey were headed for the scrap heap but have come good, whilst Ross and Crough have hit a wall.

In my opinion, contrary to others on here, I thought Sheil was terrible, no aggression, a receiver, and Merrit was better than him. I will take a huge bite of the s.hit sandwich that he is if we trade for him. As with every Saints player I will support him, and hope I am wrong.
Speaking of being wrong, I had dropped off Bonner after supporting him all season. Yesterday was easily his best game for us, put his head over the ball and his disposal seemed very good.
Two other whipping boys, Clark and Jones. Both have had seasons of interruptions but both have had good chucks of continuous games.
Jones has his touch back. For a long while he would stop and be indecisive and slow up the attack. Yesterday his decision making was spot on, he was quick and won his own ball.
Clark had an almost game, he was great in and under and got the ball moving, his turnovers took the shine off his game. He hits 50% more targets it is almost BoG just behind Steele and Coops.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm 100% with you on Shiel

As much as I enjoyed their performances last night, I'd love to see Byrnes, Hammer, Coops play with that level of confidence with a season still on the line. Hopefully last night was a step towards that.
The lack of confidence has been right across the squad. You don't skill train or luck your way into the change over the last few weeks, and it's exactly what RTB has been saying the whole time.
Players are trusting themselves and each other and it makes a half second difference in each disposal time which creates the flow.
"W/L is just feedback on the process"

No.

Dont let some late season enjoyment change your mind on what needs to be done.
Intrigued by what you think might happen with those 3.

Byrnes has played 12 games this season, age on his side - should get another contract.

Membrey has struggled for most of the year and has slipped (is slipping) down the priority order given the improvement in the talls in the fwd half. (King, Caminiti, Sharman, Keeler, Owens).

Jones similarly has struggled for most of the year but if Crouch is done injury wise, I suspect it will be between him and Ross for a one year contract.

Might depend on whether either of them will be happy to spend most of their last year playing for Sandy on a vastly reduced contract.

Intrigued by what you think might happen with those 3.

Byrnes has played 12 games, age on his side - should get another contract.

Membrey has struggled for most of the year and has slipped (is slipping) down the priority order given the improvement in the talls in the fwd half. (King, Caminiti, Sharman, Keeler, Owens).

Jones similarly has struggled for most of the year but if Crouch is done injury wise, I suspect it will be between him and Ross for a one year contract.

Might depend on whether either of them will be happy to spend most of their last year playing for Sandy on a vastly reduced contract.
I’d keep Byrnes on another 1 year deal.

I just don’t see the point of Membrey or Jones hanging around.

There are enough young medium/tall forwards like Owens Caminiti Sharman that there is no need to Keep Tim Hanging around. You need games into that lot - Not games into Tim.

Jones has a few good games. A lot however just aren’t up to it and his body is consistently unavailable.

It’s unfortunate. But we know what our ceiling is. Keep cutting and keep growing.

6a2bee5e8956c48b5f638dce2a7ddc62.jpg

Who’s there!
How good is that pic ???????

It's absolutely awesome.

I can't help but wonder if he's waiting for RTB's reply re how long his contract extension will be for.

Good job Saints!

Glass half full - we are playing good footy the last month, we had a tough early fixture, coupled with injuries to key players (inc Crouch), suspensions to key players and 6 (?) losses by less than 10 points.

We have a good young core developing and an excellent rebounding defence and despite what some think I reckon we have an excellent coach who is committed to development e.g. Hammer straight back in this week, Wilson has played every game.

We will have ups and downs but I’m positive with the direction. Hopefully we draft well again.
I heard a stat that we have had the highest ever recorded percentage of our behinds that have hit the post - something like 21% of our behinds have been posters…. So there’s that.

As much as I enjoyed their performances last night, I'd love to see Byrnes, Hammer, Coops play with that level of confidence with a season still on the line. Hopefully last night was a step towards that.
Yep, all good an well to give those types of performance when the season has long been over and you are worried about being on an AFL list the following season, we need to see it when a game is on the line from Round 1.

But I enjoyed the win and the way some of the players played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my opinion, contrary to others on here, I thought Sheil was terrible, no aggression, a receiver, and Merrit was better than him. I will take a huge bite of the s.hit sandwich that he is if we trade for him. As with every Saints player I will support him, and hope I am wrong.
Speaking of being wrong, I had dropped off Bonner after supporting him all season. Yesterday was easily his best game for us, put his head over the ball and his disposal seemed very good.
Two other whipping boys, Clark and Jones. Both have had seasons of interruptions but both have had good chucks of continuous games.
Jones has his touch back. For a long while he would stop and be indecisive and slow up the attack. Yesterday his decision making was spot on, he was quick and won his own ball.
Clark had an almost game, he was great in and under and got the ball moving, his turnovers took the shine off his game. He hits 50% more targets it is almost BoG just behind Steele and Coops.

Shiel will not improve our club as a whole or improve our on-ground performances.

Great win, hopefully its a sign the ship is turning. Loved Caminiti and Sharman, just a complete breath of fresh air to what our forward line has been like for over ten years.

Re-sign Battle.

Get it done.

There are enough young medium/tall forwards like Owens Caminiti Sharman that there is no need to Keep Tim Hanging around. You need games into that lot - Not games into Tim.

Jones has a few good games. A lot however just aren’t up to it and his body is consistently unavailable.

It’s unfortunate. But we know what our ceiling is. Keep cutting and keep growing.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having Skunk hang around for another year primarily as a mentor to kids playing at Sandy and a solid option in case we're hit by injuries or the younger guys are in poor form. I thought his body was cooked to the point that he could no longer perform but I now think he's still serviceable enough to provide value to the squad in 2025.

Jones is ahead of Ross and it seems like Crouch may be forced into early retirement. Again, he's not a player I'd have in my best 22 but you need some experienced depth to cover for injuries and to keep first choice players honest. At the very least he's an experienced leader for the kids at Sandy.

We're not going to take 12 players in the draft - by all means we should cut fairly hard but if Skunk and Jones continue to finish the year strong then I see them as worthwhile depth for another year.

Yeah but there's nothing wrong with AFL standard depth especially if the other choice is 4th round picks.

I think the area where thats most needed is the midfield. If we lose Crouch, keeping one of Ross or Jones becomes more likely.

Ross for leadership, Jones for a point of difference.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having Skunk hang around for another year primarily as a mentor to kids playing at Sandy and a solid option in case we're hit by injuries or the younger guys are in poor form. I thought his body was cooked to the point that he could no longer perform but I now think he's still serviceable enough to provide value to the squad in 2025.

Jones is ahead of Ross and it seems like Crouch may be forced into early retirement. Again, he's not a player I'd have in my best 22 but you need some experienced depth to cover for injuries and to keep first choice players honest. At the very least he's an experienced leader for the kids at Sandy.

We're not going to take 12 players in the draft - by all means we should cut fairly hard but if Skunk and Jones continue to finish the year strong then I see them as worthwhile depth for another year.

Yeah but there's nothing wrong with AFL standard depth especially if the other choice is 4th round picks.

I think the area where thats most needed is the midfield. If we lose Crouch, keeping one of Ross or Jones becomes more likely.

Ross for leadership, Jones for a point of difference.
Have either of you considered Membrey might not want to go around as “depth” in a side that could be 6th or 14th!

Caminiti Sharman and Owens should just be told to attack everything in the air.

We could build a fantastic forward half game if we had a few more mids or smalls with speeds when the ball hits the deck
Was at the game live, which was great, so only now just watching the replay. ( Even better ☺️)
The commentators were going nuts over Sharman.

Plenty of stats flying about but one that really floored me - Wilkie has only been on the bench TWiCE the entire season!
Is that normal for a backman? He has to be one of our greatest ever recruits, surely?

PS: I think Gary Lyon has a bit of a soft spot for the Saints. Maybe to do with his friendship with Spud.

How good is that pic ???????

It's absolutely awesome.

I can't help but wonder if he's waiting for RTB's reply re how long his contract extension will be for.

He was waiting for the correct response.

Who’s there?

3539789e8683da2802c9714f97514bfb.jpg

Owens!

Was at the game live, which was great, so only now just watching the replay. ( Even better ☺️)
The commentators were going nuts over Sharman.

Plenty of stats flying about but one that really floored me - Wilkie has only been on the bench TWiCE the entire season!
Is that normal for a backman? He has to be one of our greatest ever recruits, surely?

PS: I think Gary Lyon has a bit of a soft spot for the Saints. Maybe to do with his friendship with Spud.
I think it’s normal for gun key backs.

I also seem to recall after we sacked GT that Gary was an early front runner for the job at the time - before declaring he didn’t want it.

Might be wrong. But that’s my vague memory.

The lack of confidence has been right across the squad. You don't skill train or luck your way into the change over the last few weeks, and it's exactly what RTB has been saying the whole time.
Players are trusting themselves and each other and it makes a half second difference in each disposal time which creates the flow.
"W/L is just feedback on the process"
Yeah, I'm not being critical by the way, and it's not unique to us that freedom and trust in yourself comes when we're out of the running. And it's infinitely better than dropping your head and just looking ahead to next year. Just hoping these guys can use this to show the same confidence in the first half of next season.

Jones doing everything to save his career, he looks so much better when he doesn’t try to do too much and just gets the ball out to better users.
Watched him a lot in VFL, he would get it constantly, then stop and be indecisive and slow up the play.
Yesterday there was none of that, disposal was crisp, handball decisive and ran through the midfield that opened the field.

The frustrating thing with Jones are his constant injuries. Could never get back in form. Like Wood at North, would look good, be out for a month then look poor for a month before another two good games and another injury.
A good run of games and they look a different player. Feel of the game and touch at AFL level.is very important.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Saints kick the Bombers butts far into the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back