Preview Saints vs Blues, Monday May 12, 7:20pm at Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

How is Gwilt "lucky"? Percy, he's been our most consistent defender along with Delaney and Dempster, has one shocker game along with the whole team and has his head called for? doesn't make sense.

Round 1: 18 disposals, 11 marks, 1 goal @ 88.9DE%
Round 2: 20 disposals, 6 marks, @95DE%
Round 3: 14 Disposals, 3 marks, @100DE%
Round 4: 14 disposals, 4 marks, 1 goal, 1 behind @64% (Ok, could argue another poor game but was moved forward)
Round 5: 24 disposals, 11 marks, @83%
Round 6: 21 disposals, 11 marks, @76%

I'm not sure where i find goal against stats but IMO i'd be surprised if he had many at all kicked against him.

How is Gwilt "lucky"? Percy, he's been our most consistent defender along with Delaney and Dempster, has one shocker game along with the whole game and has his head called for? doesn't make sense.

Round 4: 14 disposals, 4 marks, 1 goal, 1 behind @64% (Ok, could argue another poor game but was moved forward)

I'm not sure where i find goal against stats but IMO i'd be surprised if he had many at all kicked against him.

Could not understand the amount of people wanting Gwilt out, has been solid at worst.

Pretty happy with the side though. Fingers crossed Sippos can fire and Shenton deserves a game as much as anyone.

Anyone know how many players we have now played this year?

The commentators said during the Sandy game that we were up to 34 players used this year (including Monday's team). That's a lot to have used by round eight. Some teams don't use 34 in a whole season, but due to the re-build and all our injuries it has been unavoidable. Although it leaves our side unsettled, it does give plenty of guys the chance to show what they've got.

Would you say Newnes is an inside mid Percy? I'd be more inclined to say offensive back or outside mid.
I think that's ultimately what they're grooming him for. Not just purely for the gruntwork, probably more in and out, like Joey, Dal, etc.

How is Gwilt "lucky"? Percy, he's been our most consistent defender along with Delaney and Dempster, has one shocker game along with the whole team and has his head called for? doesn't make sense.

Rd.1 vs. Melb (FitzPatrick first half) - played well but to be fair Fitzy is a spud - no goals
Rd.2 vs. GWS (Giles) - played well given so far undersized - no goals
Rd.3 vs. WCE (Resting Ruck) - played ok against Sinclair at least - 1 goal
Rd.4 vs. Adel (Jenkins first half) - got taken apart and disposal was poor - 2 goals
Rd.5 vs. Ess (Daniher) - Essendon were terrible so wouldnt judge that as his efforts on Daniher - no goals
Rd.6 vs. Haw (Hale) - Got beaten IMO like the rest of the team - 2 goals

Dont think too many people doubt his rebound ability or his disposal but are sick of him playing Key Position especially at the expense of Bruce.
Would like to see him back to playing third tall and Dempster loose man especially given we are playing Ray loose.

This weeks backline looks much better again

Rd.1 vs. Melb (FitzPatrick first half) - played well but to be fair Fitzy is a spud - no goals
Rd.4 vs. Adel (Jenkins first half) - got taken apart and disposal was poor - 2 goals
Rd.5 vs. Ess (Daniher) - Essendon were terrible so wouldnt judge that as his efforts on Daniher - no goals

Dont think too many people doubt his rebound ability or his disposal but are sick of him playing Key Position especially at the expense of Bruce.
Would like to see him back to playing third tall and Dempster loose man especially given we are playing Ray loose.

He didn't play on Daniher anyway, Bruce did.

I see your point and am also pissed off when we always play him as a key defender when he isn't. But i still stand by my comment about his form not warranting the "lucky to be in the side" tag, he isn't taking Brucey's spot at all. It seems Bruce and Simpkin are fighting for that position. Ask the coaches why they continue playing him as a KPD not really his fault.

And Bruce was dropped last week?

Dylan Roberton has fallen from grace this year, as he was outstanding last year and a shining light in a bleak 2013 season. Hopefully he can force himself back into the side and play some good football again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giles kicked 4 on him.
Shoenmakers had 3 on him then he was swapped to gunston who kicked 4 on him. Don't know where you're getting your stats but they are incorrect.

Gwilt has been a liability this year.

Giles kicked 4 on him.
Shoenmakers had 3 on him then he was swapped to gunston who kicked 4 on him. Don't know where you're getting your stats but they are incorrect.

Gwilt has been a liability this year.
That's the point, he shouldn't even be playing on any of those guys anyway. But for some old reason the club continue thinking he is a key defender, when he isn't being played in a role he isn't suited to he has been in our best.

But yes that's my opinion and obviously the club must agree with me if they aren't dropping him, noone else needs to agree.

That's the point, he shouldn't even be playing on any of those guys anyway. But for some old reason the club continue thinking he is a key defender, when he isn't being played in a role he isn't suited to he has been in our best.

But yes that's my opinion and obviously the club must agree with me if they aren't dropping him, noone else needs to agree.

I disagree. If Gwilt can't handle Scheonmakers, that's a big problem. While Jimmy has always struggled on the bigger types, he needs to be capable of handling the whole range of medium-talls, from Bruest, to Goodes to Darling, to Howe, otherwise his offensive capabilities aren't worthwhile in a fit team. If he can't handle those guys, I'd prefer to move Dempster onto them, and play Shaggy for the run and carry.

I disagree. If Gwilt can't handle Scheonmakers, that's a big problem. While Jimmy has always struggled on the bigger types, he needs to be capable of handling the whole range of medium-talls, from Bruest, to Goodes to Darling, to Howe, otherwise his offensive capabilities aren't worthwhile in a fit team. If he can't handle those guys, I'd prefer to move Dempster onto them, and play Shaggy for the run and carry.
Well like i said, i'll disagree and think he is having a good season. You don't need to agree with me, but obviously the club think he is having a decent season if he is remaining in the team.

Also Schoenmakers isn't a "Medium tall" he is a 195cm weighing in at 93kg key position player.

Most of Gwiltys disposals are meaningless sideways backwards kicks and his clangers are inexcusable given his experience, back to vfl give someone else a go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Saints vs Blues, Monday May 12, 7:20pm at Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back