Preview Saints vs Blues, Monday May 12, 7:20pm at Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit hard to interpret without other data like which opponents, time spent on them etc. Still 10 goals in 7 games is not bad considering Gwilty has been matched up on goal kickers a lot.

I think I read here the other week that Delaney has lost the fewest 1 on 1 contests in the back half in the league, or has the lowest ratio of contests lost or something like that. Now that is a quality stat, would love to see the full data.

Jeez I hope Siposs plays a blinder. Been undersold all year with every man and their dog apparently in better form than him but here he is. I'm expecting more of a slow and steady build up but I would love to see him kick 3 or 4!

Jeez I hope Siposs plays a blinder. Been undersold all year with every man and their dog apparently in better form than him but here he is. I'm expecting more of a slow and steady build up but I would love to see him kick 3 or 4!

What would be a good/passable game for him? Considering its his first game under Richardson, will take him a while to fit into how the saints play.

I'd be happy with between 10-15 disposals, at least 1 goal. But would be more happy if he puts on a bit of forward pressure and has some goal assists, without hitting the scoreboard! Don't want him getting a bit hungry for goals, trying kicking them from 50m, as he does sometimes for sandy. He would make for fans if he did the team thing!
Hope he doesn't start as the sub!

Last edited:
What would be a good/passable game for him? Considering its his first game under Richardson, will take him a while to fit into how the saints play.

I'd be happy with between 10-15 disposals, at least 1 goal. But would be more happy if he puts on a bit of forward pressure and has some goal assists, without hitting the scoreboard! Don't want him getting a bit hungry for goals, trying kicking them from 50m, as he does sometimes for sandy. He would make for fans if he did the team thing!
Hope he doesn't start as the sub!
Yeah I'd say something similiar. 10-15 touches, a goal or two (or at least some shots on goal) and if he can take a contested grab or two it'd be nice!

Yeah I think 3+ tackles and some intangible stuff like 1%ers and pressure is key for Sippa. Just as long as he can prove he's not a passenger at AFL level.

Siposs is such a beautiful kick. Would like to see him nail 1 outside the 50m arc early on to get his confidence up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For anyone interested heres a take on the side for tomorrow

10 or less games:
Blake Acres (1 game)
Jack Billings (4 games)
Cameron Shenton (1 game)
Luke Dunstan (6 games)

20-10:
Jimmy Webster (17 games)
Tom Curren (14 games)
Billy Longer ( 11 games)
Josh Bruce (16 games)

20-50
Arryn Siposs (25 games)
Luke Delaney (33 games)
Jack Newnes (32 games)
Maverick Weller (33 games)
Rhys Stanley (46 games)

50-100
Jack Steven (77 games)

100-150
James Gwilt (116 games)
Clinton Jones (140 games)

150-200
Farren Ray (183 games)
Sean Dempster (167 games)

200-250
Leigh Montagna (218 games)
Adam Schneider (202 games)

250+
Lenny Hayes (283 games)
Nick Riewoldt (266 games)

13 out of 22 players under 50 games!

If anyone gives a crap about Carlton

10 or less games:
Dylan Buckley (6 games)

10-20
Sam Rowe (16 games)
Sam Docherty (14 games)
Troy Menzel (13 games)

20-50
Simon White (31 games)
David Ellard (45 games)
Levi Casboult (21 games)

50-100
Andrejs Everitt (86 games)
Mitch Robinson (83 games)
Lachie Henderson (91 games)
Robbie Warnock (77 games)
Chris Yarran (90 games)
Zach Touhy (61 games)

100-150
Michael Jamison (117 games)
Jeff Garlett (103 games)
Brock McLean (145 games)

150-200
Bryce Gibbs (162 games)
Marc Murphy (172 games)
Andrew Walker (171 games)
Dale Thomas (164 games)

200-250
Kade Simpson (207 games)

250+
Heath Scotland (268 games)

10 or less games:
Blake Acres (1 game)
Jack Billings (4 games)
Cameron Shenton (1 game)
Luke Dunstan (6 games)

20-10:
Jimmy Webster (17 games)
Tom Curren (14 games)
Billy Longer ( 11 games)
Josh Bruce (16 games)

20-50
Arryn Siposs (25 games)
Luke Delaney (33 games)
Jack Newnes (32 games)
Rhys Stanley (46 games)

50-100
Jack Steven (77 games)

100-150
James Gwilt (116 games)

150-200
Farren Ray (183 games)

200-250

250+
Lenny Hayes (283 games)

What's that stat about teams which are competing usually? Having a dominant 50-200 bracket. Have a look at ours :/ Admittedly missing a few best 22er's in Armitage, Geary and Gilbert though.

Quite nice to think that we're also missing a few players in the Under 50 bracket - Eli, Wright, Hickey.

A lot of contrast to Cartlon who have 13 in the 50-200 bracket.

Tuff one to pick, both teams have a few important outs and both sides are probably at the same level at the minute.
Positive for us is we are starting to crawl our way back up while I think the Blues are on their way back down.( after a very brief UP )
They have been our 'Monday night Bunny' so I hope that continues.
Both teams have been a bit 'Jekyll & Hyde' this season so anything could happen. But I think we seem to respond to what Richo is preaching so I can see us bouncing back hard after a limp effort V the Hawks.
GO SAINTS :D

What's that stat about teams which are competing usually? Having a dominant 50-200 bracket. Have a look at ours :/ Admittedly missing a few best 22er's in Armitage, Geary and Gilbert though.

Quite nice to think that we're also missing a few players in the Under 50 bracket - Eli, Wright, Hickey.

A lot of contrast to Cartlon who have 13 in the 50-200 bracket.
IMO a few in the 50-200 bracket for Carlton are some average types, happy to take a hit from Carlton supporters but Everitt, Robinson, McLean, Garlett (Good but not consistent enough), Warnock (being fair has looked OK this year) etc. But obviously more than us but i ain't fussed, it's the joy of the rebuild we'll start getting a heap in the 50-100 mark sooner or later.

10 or less games:
Blake Acres (1 game)
Jack Billings (4 games)
Cameron Shenton (1 game)
Luke Dunstan (6 games)

20-10:
Jimmy Webster (17 games)
Tom Curren (14 games)
Billy Longer ( 11 games)
Josh Bruce (16 games)

20-50
Arryn Siposs (25 games)
Luke Delaney (33 games)
Jack Newnes (32 games)
Rhys Stanley (46 games)

50-100
Jack Steven (77 games)

100-150
James Gwilt (116 games)

150-200
Farren Ray (183 games)

200-250

250+
Lenny Hayes (283 games)

Can't play many more kids than that Dermie!

The lack of 50-200 game players is SCARY. Speaks volumes about our list and the Job ahead.
However very confident in the Pelchan, Bains & Trout Team.

The lack of 50-200 game players is SCARY. Speaks volumes about our list and the Job ahead.
It is worth noting that Sam Gilbert, Jarryn Geary, David Armitage, Dylan Roberton who are when in form best 22 and are in that 50-150 range, Savage also in that range but hasn't done much at the Saints yet.

But yeah pretty scary but shocking recruiting from 5 drafts does that, sadly. But i think we're heading in the right direction i'd expect the recruiting team to pull of a few gem trades along with some good players in the draft.

And Richo

It is worth noting that Sam Gilbert, Jarryn Geary, David Armitage, Dylan Roberton who are when in form best 22 and are in that 50-150 range, Savage also in that range but hasn't done much at the Saints yet.

But yeah pretty scary but shocking recruiting from 5 drafts does that, sadly. But i think we're heading in the right direction i'd expect the recruiting team to pull of a few gem trades along with some good players in the draft.

The recruitment of (year they were/should have been drafted):

Tom Hickey (2009)
Savage (2008/9)*
Tom Lee (2009)
Roberton (2009)
Longer (2011)
Delaney (2007)
Bruce (2010)

*Savage was drafted in 2008 as a 17 year old.

Definitely goes some of the way to minimising the pain from the 2007-2010 drafts. But yeah it's a black hole otherwise. :/

....which is why I (and others) think that we have at least another year or two of pain whilst these players move from under 0-46 games to the 50 - 100 game bracket...

The recruitment of (year they were/should have been drafted):

Tom Hickey (2009)
Savage (2008/9)*
Tom Lee (2009)
Roberton (2009)
Longer (2011)
Delaney (2007)
Bruce (2010)

*Savage was drafted in 2008 as a 17 year old.

Definitely goes some of the way to minimising the pain from the 2007-2010 drafts. But yeah it's a black hole otherwise. :/
I'll put you back into some pain. :p

2006:
Trades: Shane Birss for pick 59 (Jarryd Allen) and Michael Gardiner + 59 (little "lol for getting the pick back) for Pick 43 (Tim Houlihan)
Drafts: David Armitage, Brad Howard, Jarryd Allen, Matthew Ferguson, Matthew Clarke (PSD), Clinton Jones (RD), Luke Van Rheenan (RD), Robert Eddy (RD), James Wall (RD), Jarryn Geary (RD), Jayden Attard (RD)

2007:
Trades: Schneids + Demps for Pick 26 (Brett Meredith) and Steven King + Charlie Gardiner for Pick 90 (unused)
Drafts: Ben McEvoy, Jack Steven, Fraser Gehrig, Eljay Connors, Glenn Chivers (RD), Luke Miles (RD), Andrew McQualter (RD), Khan Haretuku (RD)

2008:
Trades: Farren Ray + 48 (Nick Heyne) for Pick 31 (Jordan Roughead)
Drafts: Tom Lynch, Rhys Stanley, Nick Heyne, Alistair Smith, Paul Cahill, Colm Begley, Zac Dawson (RD), Tom Simpkin (RD), Brad Howard (RD), Steven Geartner (RD), Ross Tungatulum (RD), Sam McGarry (RD), Blake McGrath (RD)

2009:
Trades: Andrew Shitbastard for Pick 16 (Jasper Pittard) and Brett Peake for Pick 48 (Jesse Crichton/interesting to note straight after at Pick 49 was Dyl Roberton) + offloading X.Clarke for Pick 60 (Jesse Smith)
Drafts: Nick Winmar, Jesse Smith, Will Johnson, Mark Hutchings (RD), Daniel Archer (RD), Jarryd Allen (RD), Leigh Fisher (RD), Tommy Walsh (RD)

2010:
Trades: Nil
Drafts: Jamie Cripps, Sam Crocker, Tom Ledger, Arryn Siposs, Ryan Gamble, Dean Polo, Tom Curren (RD), Warrick Andreoli (RD), Rob Eddy (RD), Jacko Ferguson (RD)

So overall

We gained: 58 players and 11 remain. (Scary stuff!! i included re-drafts though)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Saints vs Blues, Monday May 12, 7:20pm at Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back