Unofficial Preview Swans Vs Cats 2022 GRAND FINAL. MCG. Last Sat in September @14:30.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping this is like 2014 but in our favour. Remember very unswansmanlike at the time Kieran Jack did an interview saying how super confident we were given prelim. We all know what happened.

With all the media hype favouring geelong, it’s eerily similar.

Oh, Dan Murphy’s has run out of 2022 Vintage Geelong bathwater.

I never once said that

Again I’m not bagging him

It’s a fact

you called him a liability ... that's not bagging him???

liability: a person or thing whose presence or behaviour is likely to put one at a disadvantage

Chris Scott with more headaches and doubts about his structure this week I'd imagine. Not sure he can double down on what's got them to this point against us.

Old vs new in many ways

We're too fast for them

you called him a liability ... that's not bagging him???

liability: a person or thing whose presence or behaviour is likely to put one at a disadvantage
Isn't that just bagging his form? Think there's a difference between saying someone is playing poorly and someone is a poor player

Isn't that just bagging his form? Think there's a difference between saying someone is playing poorly and someone is a poor player

oh come on!
in the context of whether mcdonald plays in the grand final or not, calling for him to be dropped because he's "a liability" is bagging him ...

True that’s the risk you take

But the Geelong defence will have him covered with ease in the form he is in
You never know, back him in, there is no option that is significantly better….he does do some things that don’t draw stats, if he costs us, so be it, I think you back him.

This and this. Piss easy draw and beating up on weak opponents has broken the Squiggle.

Quite possible. The Squiggle is giving us a 31.4% win chance, now I'm not saying we should be starting favourites, but even Cats fans would probably concede that this is too low. That said, I remember reading that the Squiggle's model doesn't perform as well when it comes to finals tips. It's more a way of visually depicting how strong each team is. The Squiggle rates us as the third strongest team this year, which seems fair enough, but that's not always the most reliable way of forecasting the eventual premier.

Then perhaps tell us what you're seeing that the rest of us are not?

i think i've done that several times, in the past 24 hours and the past several months
he's part of our best 22, the squad that has won nine straight and got us into a grand final
for the sake of team chemistry, if nothing else

True that’s the risk you take

But the Geelong defence will have him covered with ease in the form he is in

yeh I just don't have any more faith in mclean or armartey than macca

so stick with the mix if I can

we do need more from him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading the main boards comments on how Cats will easily handle the swans and it will be a blowout.

6tsm2p.jpg

This has all the makings of a tragedy for Geelong.

yeh I just don't have any more faith in mclean or armartey than macca

so stick with the mix if I can

we do need more from him
McLean could at least bring the ball to ground

He trouble them last game

They are to good in the air defensively to bomb or have McDonald not making a contest

Quite possible. The Squiggle is giving us a 31.4% win chance, now I'm not saying we should be starting favourites, but even Cats fans would probably concede that this is too low. That said, I remember reading that the Squiggle's model doesn't perform as well when it comes to finals tips. It's more a way of visually depicting how strong each team is. The Squiggle rates us as the third strongest team this year, which seems fair enough, but that's not always the most reliable way of forecasting the eventual premier.
Look in all seriousness, the cats are deserved favourites and probably will win, but it's not going to be the walkover like anyone is predicting. 3-4 goals at most. If there's one thing I've learned from watching the swans is we hardly ever get beaten badly. Watched the squiggle all year and it was completely wrong for their finals forecast. Had us being beaten in the elimination final a few times midway through the year.

I love the swans matchups on Geelong and I love their overconfidence and I love Rohan's Grand Final performances. Hopefully Rohan doesn't pull something out of his ass.

Reading the main boards comments on how Cats will easily handle the swans and it will be a blowout.

This has all the makings of a tragedy for Geelong.

Look, I'm not going to lie, it could well be a blowout. 2014 is still burned in my memory, and the Cats are a good enough side that they could certainly do that to us. But they have to worry about us too.

Its a fair discussion point, HT.

His numbers have been poor. What are you seeing that makes those numbers irrelevant to the discussion?
I think what the King said. Whoever replaces him has to be significantly better. We are unbeaten in the last 9. You want to make a change for MacDonald(22 games) for Amartey(13 games) who has not played AFL for a while or McLean(30 games) who has not played for a while.

Not sure either Amartey or McLean would add significantly to the team. Also a change to a winning lineup?. Also I'm not sure MacDonald would be happy missing a grand final for Amartey or McLean based upon their contributions to the AFL team this year.

A change to the talls to me has more negatives than positives.

McLean could at least bring the ball to ground

He trouble them last game

They are to good in the air defensively to bomb or have McDonald not making a contest
I sort of agree that Amartey or maybe even McLean is a better selection than McDonald currently. Amartey can bash packs but McDonald is a tad fragile (At this moment in time). McDonald has been invisible lately and I can only assume he does a lot of work off the ball.

That said, I'd bring in the Amartey party for Reid and otherwise have an unchanged lineup.

Didn't Amartey play against Geelong last time or does my memory deceive me?

Squiggle's flagpole is the one used for the GF

I sort of agree that Amartey or maybe even McLean is a better selection than McDonald currently. Amartey can bash packs but McDonald is a tad fragile (At this moment in time). McDonald has been invisible lately and I can only assume he does a lot of work off the ball.

That said, I'd bring in the Amartey party for Reid and otherwise have an unchanged lineup.

Didn't Amartey play against Geelong last time or does my memory deceive me?
McLean & McDonald both played, when Buddy kicked his 1000th. No Amartey.

McLean also played against Geelong last year and he kicked 4 with three marks inside 50.

The idea that McDonald can't be dropped because of the team cohesion whilst we're on a winning streak is also a bit off, considering we actually started this winning streak the week that he was dropped and replaced by Amartey, and he didn't come back into the team until we'd already won 4 straight.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be dropped. I just think this notion that he should stay in because he's not awful and because we've been winning don't really hold up for mine as you could apply the exact same logic to McLean or Amartey.

In any case if Reid is out then no way McDonald gets dropped anyway.

Look, I'm not going to lie, it could well be a blowout. 2014 is still burned in my memory, and the Cats are a good enough side that they could certainly do that to us. But they have to worry about us too.
Well, anything is possible I guess. Think 2016 kinda made me forget about 2014 but you're right, 2014 was the absolute last thing I was expecting.

Actually, the 2017 semi-final against Geelong is still very fresh in my memory. Was convinced we would have an easy game against them at the time like we did in 2016.

Regardless, I just can't see it being a blowout with the current team we have. We seem too determined and seem to have learned from our mistakes. We just gotta play at our best and I hope like hell they avenge our past defeats.

Tom Stewart is the only Geelong player I'm really concerned about, bomb it in like we did to May and Moore late in the game we'll lose and he'll win the Norm Smith.

Reckon we break even if anything have the edge in the midfield, Cameron and Hawkins are a dangerous combo but our defensive structures have been very effective at limiting one on one opportunities and conceding few marks inside 50. Grand finals don't tend be the sort of games where power forwards have a big impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back