Sam Newman- people have had enough of this shameless racist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks, just a friendly reminder that this thread is about Sam Newman. All discussion on the upcoming referendum - please continue ON THE SRP BOARD

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam is an interesting character and not all bad. But when you look at his history there is a common thread, and that is he is not big on listening. Loves his own opinions (be they politics, football business or football tactics) and prosecutes them with varying degrees of merit.

But he isn't big on listening to others. That's his big problem and that's why he is fading further out of touch.

You said "Go back 20 years and people would've laughed".

If you go back 30 years, people like Garry Lyon, Dermott Brereton, etc., thought it was perfectly fine to racially abuse indigenous players.

They would've laughed it off then too.

Thanks for outing yourself.
Did they? Didn't know that, but I know Sam Newman didn't (according to his words).

Anyway, I was mainly referring to how speech is being suppressed now compared to years ago. You think the majority are gonna risk committing career/social suicide by antagonizing the perpetually online woke crowd? No, people have to keep their opinions to themselves now if it risks any cancel culture pushback, it's just not worth it. And trust me, they're sick of having this crap shoved down their throats. It's not even about racism, it's about identity politics and division. If they wanted to make real change to improve how indigenous people are treated they would, but instead we get nothing gestures like this and if you don't support it because "at least it's something" even though that something is an insult to everybody with sense, you're a bad person. These empty statements and rituals like welcome to country and the yes vote are an insult and a joke.

I don't think anyone really cares to the point of making a big deal out of it in the moment, but when it's completely phoned in, it comes across as almost distasteful. Seriously, even the people giving the Acknowledgement couldn't care less, just ticking off the checkbox given to them by HR. What's it actually hoping to accomplish?

I enjoy a WTC though, don't get me wrong. Just these shocking "Thankful to the Elders past and present for the land we are gathered here upon" before going into a meeting on how we're going to mine this land to the ******* center of the Earth is just stupid.
I always have a bit of a laugh at the lame ones mining companies put at the front of their corporate presentations. If you really want to acknowledge actually do something give money to a charity like 'Shooting Stars'.

Thankfully my brother has enough sense to not put them at the start of their presentations.

Did they? Didn't know that, but I know Sam Newman didn't (according to his words).

Anyway, I was mainly referring to how speech is being suppressed now compared to years ago. You think the majority are gonna risk committing career/social suicide by antagonizing the perpetually online woke crowd? No, people have to keep their opinions to themselves now if it risks any cancel culture pushback, it's just not worth it. And trust me, they're sick of having this crap shoved down their throats. It's not even about racism, it's about identity politics and division. If they wanted to make real change to improve how indigenous people are treated they would, but instead we get nothing gestures like this and if you don't support it because "at least it's something" even though that something is an insult to everybody with sense, you're a bad person. These empty statements and rituals like welcome to country and the yes vote are an insult and a joke.
How is speech being suppressed?

Fair, can absolutely see the irony in that particular example.

More broadly though, if indigenous people say that it’s important to them that we acknowledge the country we’re conducting our affairs on, even if they’re not present at the time, then I just don’t see why it’s such a big inconvenience. Overdone or not, it’s over in a flash.
No issue with that.

For me, it’s like a good song I haven’t before. I listen to it, appreciate it, enjoy it.

Now I hear that same song ten times a day and I tend to zone out.

What’s wrong with doing it once to kick off the working day?

What do you think 'freedom of speech' actually means, by the way?

Also, if Newman doesn't like it, he can freely express his opinion, which he has.

Encouraging others to boo, simply because he doesn't like it, is hot garbage though.

I don't particularly enjoy the WTC and find it annoying that it seems integrated into so many factors of normal life these days but it doesn't actually affect my life and isn't exactly worth wringing my hands over.

If some people feel benefit from it, then what's the issue exactly?

What do you think 'freedom of speech' actually means, by the way?

Also, if Newman doesn't like it, he can freely express his opinion, which he has.

Encouraging others to boo, simply because he doesn't like it, is hot garbage though.

I don't particularly enjoy the WTC and find it annoying that it seems integrated into so many factors of normal life these days but it doesn't actually affect my life and isn't exactly worth wringing my hands over.

If some people feel benefit from it, then what's the issue exactly?
He said people who disagree shouldn't be afraid to boo, not "boo this thing I don't like". And I don't think "some people feeling benefit" is a good justification for more politics in footy, when plenty of people are sick of this stuff.
How is speech being suppressed?
Did you read past the first sentence? The overton window, centralisation of online platforms, corporate lobbying, I'm not sure what you're asking.

He isn't even trying to hide his racism anymore. He is a digusting human being.
AS my Dad said about a particularly obnoxious woman who used to sit near us at the footy, “don’t worry he’ll probably be dead soon anyway”

I work in a professional IT/business environment, and I don't think I've ever seen a welcome to country in a work meeting. That would be very funny.

Edit: also flights? I fly Qantas/Jetstar/Virgin a few times a year, and I don't think I've heard it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He said people who disagree shouldn't be afraid to boo, not "boo this thing I don't like". And I don't think "some people feeling benefit" is a good justification for more politics in footy, when plenty of people are sick of this stuff.

Did you read past the first sentence? The overton window, centralisation of online platforms, corporate lobbying, I'm not sure what you're asking.
Disagree with what?

Why would you boo the welcome to country?

That's unhinged.

If it happens, it'll be a select few redneck bogans who feel emboldened by Sam's comments.

I'll try again:

Do you know what freedom of speech actually entails?

Why would you boo the welcome to country?

That's unhinged.

If it happens, it'll be a select few redneck bogans who feel emboldened by Sam's comments.

I'll try again:

Do you know what freedom of speech actually entails?
Because people are sick of it? That's unhinged? Alright, expecting people to put up with this crap constantly is a bit unhinged if you ask me.
No, please enlighten me as to what free speech means. We used to have police protected nazi rallies not so long ago, has the meaning changed?

No issue with that.

For me, it’s like a good song I haven’t before. I listen to it, appreciate it, enjoy it.

Now I hear that same song ten times a day and I tend to zone out.

What’s wrong with doing it once to kick off the working day?
Fair, I definitely get that repeating something over and over can end up with it losing all meaning. I just think there are a lot of things we do each day that would fall into that category, so I don’t get why this one draws so much hate.

The concept of it?

Can you actually define what it is specifically you disagree with. Rather than it seeming to be purely because it's an Indigenous aspect of our society?
Yes, I already have but you wanna say it's about racism. Read my previous posts in this thread.

Nothing is being suppressed. My question was sarcastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back