VFL Sandringham Zebras 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Squizz is "Fiery" Will Johnson?

Ha ha - no, but maybe it should be!

It's Luke Miles (he's trained to be a fireman, and the name seems to suit his "slash & burn" style of play).

The interesting stats:

Patto - 18 poss (11 contested), 6 tackles, 18 hit-outs

Heyne - 15 poss (7 contested), 4 tackles

Alias - 16 poss (8 contested), 9 tackles

PC - 6 contested marks

Hutchings - 22 poss (12 contested), 4 tackles

Fiery - 23 poss (11 contested), 5 tackles

Wool - 7 tackles

Kingy - 16 poss (10 contested), 4 tackles, 24 hit outs

Lynchy - 24 poss (5 contested), 4 tackles

it appears the new gsame style is beginning to work. more pressure, more tackling.

it appears the new game style is beginning to work. more pressure, more tackling.

I've certainly noticed the tackle pressure has lifted, and that was probably the difference - the Geelong boys didn't seem that comfortable with the physical pressure. The Zeb boys like Magner, Gallagher and Irving go in pretty hard which suits the Saints gamestyle. Brad Howard has certainly lifted in that area this year too.

When Zac screamed into a pack, one of their aboriginal boys got spat out the other end - and went straight off the ground.

The thing I don't like that much is that the guys obviously still don't know each other that well - in the warm up there are calls like "Smith!!!" and "Winmar!!!". I know the guys want to train with the seniors, but until they sort this bit out it will hold the Zebs back.

Another thing I wasn't that keen on was the F50 structure. They played Sautner and PC from the square with Drago leading out from 5m in front of them. No idea what the tactic is, but PC has got back in the habit of going for hangers from behind. It came off yesterday, but AFL defenders don't give you a clean run at the ball. He is a clever player, but needs to work hard from the front position. As he gets a bit more size around the shoulders and back, the defenders will find it harder to spoil him (as long as he's got the habit of being in front).

Drago couldn't handle the wet ball, but it was probably good experience. His timing and judgement of the ball flight seems OK.

Squizz if you absolutely had to pick 4 players running around in the Zebs to play in the seniors over the next 4 weeks who would you pick? I am not suggesting they will hold their place in the seniors, but rather you get to have a look at them , give them a little taste and experience, fire them up for the long preseason and next year. Blues 2010 and Zebraman if you want to add something to this or any other regulars please do so. When they play Gold Coast it will give me a bit more interest as I will be struggling to even recognize some of them. Plus I really hope RL continues to develop our junior players.

Squizz if you absolutely had to pick 4 players running around in the Zebs to play in the seniors over the next 4 weeks who would you pick? I am not suggesting they will hold their place in the seniors, but rather you get to have a look at them , give them a little taste and experience, fire them up for the long preseason and next year. Blues 2010 and Zebraman if you want to add something to this or any other regulars please do so. When they play Gold Coast it will give me a bit more interest as I will be struggling to even recognize some of them. Plus I really hope RL continues to develop our junior players.
If you had to pick 4 guys because of injury then I would love to see Tommy Lynch, Luke Miles and Ali Smith and maybe one of the rookies. Think all of those guys named could step in when required and do a job. Not saying they will take over and dominate but they would have played by now if on another list

B10 might like to confirm Heyney has an injury (I'd wondered why his stats were a bit lower than I'd expected). Didn't see him go off the ground.

A shame, as he looked a handy replacement if Bakes gets screwed over by the MRP again (although depends on what Eddy's injury is - he'd be an obvious choice if fit).

Maybe if Roo comes back, this will be the only change (Roo for Bakes with Gilbo taking a small forward along with Gears)?

The clash with the St. Kilda game is a bit of a shit, as I quite like watching the VFL games - much more like going to watch a Saints game at Moorabbin.

B10 might like to confirm Heyney has an injury (I'd wondered why his stats were a bit lower than I'd expected). Didn't see him go off the ground.

A shame, as he looked a handy replacement if Bakes gets screwed over by the MRP again (although depends on what Eddy's injury is - he'd be an obvious choice if fit).

Maybe if Roo comes back, this will be the only change (Roo for Bakes with Gilbo taking a small forward along with Gears)?

The clash with the St. Kilda game is a bit of a shit, as I quite like watching the VFL games - much more like going to watch a Saints game at Moorabbin.
I think Heyney was getting xrays today but saw him after the game and his hand was very swollen and black. Not much better news on Eddy either who may miss a few weeks with a knee I think. But the Saints have a bit of an easier run and Rooey back, all looking good

Squizz if you absolutely had to pick 4 players running around in the Zebs to play in the seniors over the next 4 weeks who would you pick?

Geez that's a good question.

As a defender on a mid-size forward, I think Lynchy could play tomorrow. Raph would be picked if fit, though. But as a forward, Lynchy's some way off imo.

If we needed a tall defender, obviouly Zac played yesterday (albeit he struggled a little). I'm pretty confident Wool will be a sound pick, and would be pretty shitty if he isn't elevated along with Tommy S, although I'd prefer him to keep developing in the VFL for the rest of the year.

Not sure what Eddy's issue is (EDIT - I see from B10 it's a knee), but he's an obvious backup. Heyney and Armo too (excluding their current injuries).

Purely on yesterday's game you'd go for Miles, but he needs to string some games together and show his body can stand up to the training load for AFL.

King can certainly step back into the team.

You wouldn't want to have to cover for 4-5 injuries, and have to bring a whole bunch of new players in at once, but there are guys who are developing nicely. I wouldn't go and watch the VFL if I didn't think a batch of genuine future St Kilda prospects were in the team.

interesting to read from the oppositions view
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/96999/default.aspx
As the temperature dropped, so did the Cats bundle. Error after error as a result of Sandringham’s constant tackling pressure became costly as the Zebra’s piled on 4 goals to 2 in a scrappy second term. Undisciplined indiscretions from midfielder Mitch Duncan and key defender Tom Gillies were costly on a day where scoring opportunities were hard to come by. Two late goals to the Zebra’s saw them open up a 30 point lead going into the main break.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
It was a return to form for VFL superstar Nick Sautner who kicked four goals and played a big part in the impressive win. Other highlights for Sandringham included Shane Tregear’s conversion, the tireless ruckwork of former Cat hero Steven King and the defensive work of St Kilda defender Zac Dawson’s on in form Cat Mitch Brown. In the end the final score flattered the Cats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James Magner is great to watch - always hard at it with strong tackles and with a few funny comments when resting on the bench. Had an interesting moment with his left foot on the weekend when he tried to "milne" the ball around his body and missed from 20m by about 50m... Sautner and Walsh were both open and not too impressed...

Yet, I would not be surprised at all to see him play AFL football next year.

Sandringham vs. Williamstown
Sunday 4th July
Trevor Barker Beach Oval at 2:00 PM

Sandringham

B Johnson Gaertner Howard
HB Lynch Simpkin Miles
C Ferraro Irving Gallagher
HF Magner Pattison Tregear
F Walsh Sautner Cahill
R King Hutchings A. Smith
Int Heyne Dawson Dempster Steven Lourey Hardiman Gram Stanley Archer O'Sullivan Winmar Nash

Williamstown

B Callan Williams Tiller
HB Everitt Faulks Addison
C Stretton Bre. Johnson Moles
HF Stack Jones Jolley
F Akermanis Little Hill
R Roughead Eagleton Davies
Int Panos Hooper Lockwood Boumann Howard Gray Rose Grossman German

Unfortunately on the same day as St Kilda, but should be good one with a number of AFL players for Williamstown, too - including Aker who said he would never play VFL (wonder what he'll hear from the stands, also considering his harsh words on our man Stevie Baker).

Sandringham vs. Williamstown
Sunday 4th July
Trevor Barker Beach Oval at 2:00 PM

Sandringham

B Johnson Gaertner Howard
HB Lynch Simpkin Miles
C Ferraro Irving Gallagher
HF Magner Pattison Tregear
F Walsh Sautner Cahill
R King Hutchings A. Smith
Int Heyne Dawson Dempster Steven Lourey Hardiman Gram Stanley Archer O'Sullivan Winmar Nash

Williamstown

B Callan Williams Tiller
HB Everitt Faulks Addison
C Stretton Bre. Johnson Moles
HF Stack Jones Jolley
F Akermanis Little Hill
R Roughead Eagleton Davies
Int Panos Hooper Lockwood Boumann Howard Gray Rose Grossman German

Unfortunately on the same day as St Kilda, but should be good one with a number of AFL players for Williamstown, too - including Aker who said he would never play VFL (wonder what he'll hear from the stands, also considering his harsh words on our man Stevie Baker).

That StKilda backline will keep him quiet. Maybe Simkin will give him a bit.

It's a fundraiser for the Twentythman organisation- Les twentyman's organisation to - so take your spare change if you get to go.

game online
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_...ask=DETAIL&articleID=12560507&sectionID=60264

[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Join Peter Marcato Nigel Carmody, and Matt Lee for the Sandringham v Williamstown VFL match live on [FONT=Arial,sans-serif]www.vfl.com.au[/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif] from 1pm-5pm[/FONT] (live audio streaming commentary).[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]All thanks to [/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]www.bpmmedia.com.au[/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif] along with [/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]www.essendonhyundai.com.au[/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif] and [/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]www.essendonchryslerjeep.com.au[/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif].[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Paul, Tony and the team are happy to service all VFL fans. 300 Wirraway Rd, Essendon Fields. Phone 9937 7666.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Click back here each week to find out our match for broadcast.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Click on the link below to listen live -
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]http://bpmmedia.gohosting.com.au/bpmmedia[/FONT]

Getting pantsed in the clearances - Willy too clean in close.

1.1 to 4.0

Drago looking OK up forward.

Miles has the big job on Little who has 2 already (one thru downfield free). Won a couple of contests though.

Wool and Tommy S being kept busy - playing well.

They have made the switch - Tommy S onto Little (but Little is still in good touch).

Kingy starting to win some of the ruck against Roughead.

Alias tagging Aker who has sqibbed a couple contests.

Willy still dictating play as the field kicking from the Zebs has been poor..

Walsh got smashed by two players - was the only one playing the ball. No free and has gone off injured. (Edit - he is OK)

4.3 to 10.5 at half time.

Lynchy and Wool going OK down back. Tommy S is struggling with Little.

Archer is struggling a bit at half forward and PC has only been able to get touches up on the wing.

Managed to catch the 3rd qtr before doing a dash to the Dome, and despite the spanking:
- Drago was presenting real well and marking at full pace and making reasonably good decisions.
- Alias clearly got under Aker's skin, and Aker was yelling at his teammates for not passing to him (they didn't pass because Ali was right on his tail every time). Didn't kick the ball particularly well, but good signs as a run-with player.
- Wool is gaining in confidence and running off his man.
- Lynchy seemed quite composed again down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Sandringham Zebras 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back