VFL Sandringham Zebras 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the updates Squizz.

Stevey G lookin alright. How's his kicking going? I know he's a superb athlete watching him destroy us regularly on Sports days, but pretty much the only thing stopping him being a first rounder was his skills, obviously a pretty important part of the game. Has his kicking improved markedly? As I reckon we could find ourselves a beauty if he can get a decent kick on him. Hell even if it's only Blake or Dawson like.

Thanks for the updates Squizz.

Stevey G lookin alright. How's his kicking going? I know he's a superb athlete watching him destroy us regularly on Sports days, but pretty much the only thing stopping him being a first rounder was his skills, obviously a pretty important part of the game. Has his kicking improved markedly? As I reckon we could find ourselves a beauty if he can get a decent kick on him. Hell even if it's only Blake or Dawson like.

Yet to see him kick on the left, but he's done some work (evidently with Danny Sexton). I guess at 199cm and trying to use his footspeed, its probably a little harder to perfect the action. But he hits his targets and doesn't do any helicopters (used to see the odd one of those). Most of the others were kicking pretty poorly today. Can kick 50m relatively comfortably. Obviously getting a kick under AFL pressure is another step, but no question in my mind he's improved quite a bit since the pre-season (where some of you will have caught a glimpse).

After watching Kingy on Sunday, take it as a sign that Saints are in all sorts of trouble if he is selected again at AFL level.

Now our 4th rucking option by quite some margin.

Tommy.W looked much better. Is starting to get himself into the right positions. With his physique, he could be a Ryan O'keefe type if he can continue to improve his skills.

With 59 inside 50s, it's pretty disappointing to see our limited scoreboard impact.

With the Dogs having already played (but us having to keep Heyney in reserve and bring Zac in to cover Kosi) there was some advantage before the game started.

But thought a couple of our boys really struggled up forward. Agree Drago was pretty good and competed well with a number of long leads.

The main stats:

Drago - 16 poss (10 contested), 5 marks (2 contested), 1 goal (was a banana too!)

Alias - 12 poss, 6 tackles

Fiery - 18 poss (8 contested)

Wool - 15 poss, 6 marks

Tommy S - 21 poss (9 contested), 3 tackles

Lynchy - 29 poss (7 contested), 3 tackles

King - 39 hitouts, 5 tackles

Aker - 5 kicks, 7 whinges, a couple of whines, and countless excuses.

Noticed Nick Winmar didn't line up in either team?

Walsh, Smith, Gaertner and Lynch among the best ( though they may have been scratching to find 6 players to be best for Sandi .

2nd Gear was named among the best for the reserves.
(Top Gear was playing for the Saints of course ).

I actually think that's about right - they were pretty good from the 3 quarters I saw.

There were a few guys (both from the Saints list and the Zebs) who were real down on the day.

Little (Williamstown) is a terrific kick for goal and was hard to stop with pretty good delivery into the forward 50 (is being touted as a possible draftee this year). Eagleton was pretty prominent, although I'm claiming credit for making him miss a goal he'd normally nail. They had a couple of short people who played well, and when you've got guys like Everitt (who obviously the Saints were trying to pick up in the draft) running around you're going to have to be at the top of your game.

2nd Gear :D

Thoughts on 2nd Gear, Squizz? Potential draft-pick next year? Rookie perhaps?

I really hope the Saints are scouring the SANFL/WAFL/VFL, as there is some talent out there.

2nd Gear (I'd gone with "Pinion" as they are a little gear) is a handy type, and obviously fit enough for AFL (and was considered one of the unlucky ones not to get picked up last year).

But every game I've seen there has been the odd player from the opposition team that has raised an eyebrow. Matt Little (cousin of James Hird), who has kicked 50 goals this year, is a former AFL listed player and is still only 24. Willy also had a little redheaded ferret who was pretty handy (although I think he'd been rookied by the Dogs).

Irving at Sandy is an absolute terrier and pretty sound overhead, although I've seen him run out of gas in a couple of games. I actually don't mind the ruckman in the VFL reserves (Jones), but I've only seen him a couple of times.

But we've got to try and fit a few of our rookies onto the list first. Hutchings, Gaertner and Simpkin are all playing good VFL footy pretty much every week and we need to make a call on big Blakey McGrath (who was always a long term project).

I really hope the Saints are scouring the SANFL/WAFL/VFL, as there is some talent out there.

2nd Gear (I'd gone with "Pinion" as they are a little gear) is a handy type, and obviously fit enough for AFL (and was considered one of the unlucky ones not to get picked up last year).

But every game I've seen there has been the odd player from the opposition team that has raised an eyebrow. Matt Little (cousin of James Hird), who has kicked 50 goals this year, is a former AFL listed player and is still only 24. Willy also had a little redheaded ferret who was pretty handy (although I think he'd been rookied by the Dogs).

Irving at Sandy is an absolute terrier and pretty sound overhead, although I've seen him run out of gas in a couple of games. I actually don't mind the ruckman in the VFL reserves (Jones), but I've only seen him a couple of times.

But we've got to try and fit a few of our rookies onto the list first. Hutchings, Gaertner and Simpkin are all playing good VFL footy pretty much every week and we need to make a call on big Blakey McGrath (who was always a long term project).

I hope we stick with OohAh. Sandilands was pretty ordinary for a long time but it paid off.

Eagleton was pretty prominent, although I'm claiming credit for making him miss a goal he'd normally nail.

I can confirm that.

I thought that Lynch was Sandy's best. He looks solid and comfortable down back and should have found himself a position.

The three Sandy players I could see in an AFL guernsey next year - considering that Sautner and Gallagher are probably too old now to get there (again in the case of Gallagher) - are Irving, Magner and Howard (!).

I can confirm that.

I thought that Lynch was Sandy's best. He looks solid and comfortable down back and should have found himself a position.

The three Sandy players I could see in an AFL guernsey next year - considering that Sautner and Gallagher are probably too old now to get there (again in the case of Gallagher) - are Irving, Magner and Howard (!).

No Tregear HMC?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan Jones is the son of former Essendon/Hawthorn player Bernie Jones...very very skilful for a guy of his height

Dylan Jones is the son of former Essendon/Hawthorn player Bernie Jones...very very skilful for a guy of his height

Thanks Z - good to hear from someone who's seen more of him.

I'd seen him take a couple of strong one-grab marks and wondered why he'd be in the ressies (mind you, if he played in the seniors that would leave only McGrath in the ruck?). Looks quite coordinated for his height.

Height: 196cm
Weight: 87kg
DOB: 03/11/91
Recruited from: Wesley College/Sandringham Dragons
Bio: Mobile ruckman who can push forward with great effect. Strong hands on the lead and work ethic off the ball are both features. His level 13.7 shuttle was an excellent performance for a young ruckman at Draft Camp. Vic Metro U18 representative in 2009.

Werribee Tigers vs. Sandringham
Sunday 11th July
Avalon Airport Oval 2:00 PM

Werribee Tigers
B: Bryce Pask Sherlock
HB: McMahon Obst Black
C: Chisholm Gleeson MacMillan
HF: Rockefeller Thorp Speight
F: O'Keefe Dickson Prismall
R: Goldstein Sharp Castello
Int: Laracy Lunardi Denton* Scott Laidlaw Baddeley Priest Saker Bongetti
Martiniello Meredith

Sandringham
B: A. Smith Simpkin Howard
HB: Miles Gaertner Lynch
C: Tregear Heyne Gallagher
HF: Magner Walsh Pattison
F: Stanley Sautner Cahill
R: King Armitage Gram
Int: Archer Hardiman Lourey Johnson Nash Lyons*
Ferraro Paterakis Irving

Armitage looks like he's over his knee injury

Ressies went down by 7 points, despite 29 scoring shots to 26. Archer snuck into the best players.

Disappointing in the seniors (although not surprising if a number of players had the flu), although I'm rapt to see Lynchy in the best along with Stanley. Ross did OK too!

Werribee Tigers 5.5 7.11 11.14 14.18 (102)
Sandringham 0.2 0.3 4.7 8.10 (58)

GOALS:
Sandringham: Sautner 2 Ferraro Gallagher Stanley Lynch Johnson Hardiman

BEST:
Sandringham: Gallagher Lynch Stanley Lyons Tregear Johnson

The main stats:

Alias - continues to "dribble" along nicely with 23 poss (11 contested), 3 tackles

Armo - decent return to the action with 22 poss (9 contested), 4 tackles

Lynchy - 21 poss (7 contested), 3 tackles

Willy J - 15 poss (7 contested), 6 marks (3 contested), 1 goal 2

Tommy S - 15 poss (8 contested), 6 tackles

Seems a few of the boys were below their normal output.

Walsh squiz?

Unless he played in defence (a possibility with Willy J kicking 1 goal 2 behinds, indicating he got moved up forward), he was pretty quiet. 9 possessions (none contested), no contested marks, no tackles. I guess an injury is a possibility (maybe B10 or zebraman can clarify?).

Disappointing after being real good last week. I guess consistency is always an issue when you're still learning the game (and not getting the easy/soft touches which come with experience, and reading the play and your teammates).

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Sandringham Zebras 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back