SANFL Round 13

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m actually not sure where to start. I got there hoping Meesen would play and for a while there I thought he was finally playing league. I saw Minson, I saw Tyrell but no sign of No.17. As I was getting excited, there he was. The big giant, the big Meese. Well that crushed my spirits right then and there. I only caught the last 10 minutes of the reserves game and Meesen had 3 possessions and a mark. Every one of his posies were pinpoint, including a 50+ metre kick to a teammate who didn’t break stride. The reserves lost by 60 odd points which was actually a fair effort considering what was to come.

I had a bad feeling before the game started; the feral occupants of Elizabeth were doing their laps around the ground and one of the Gowans brought up their 150th. I expected a bit of a thumping but I never thought it would be that bad.

It was quite simply a DISGRACEFUL performance, who the heck loses by 158 points in this day and age? We were potential finalists prior to the game today, but we aren’t even close to being a finals team. Our coach needs to buy a copy of coaching for dummies if there’s such a thing. And our players need to start looking as though the want to be out there. I say this every second week but I honestly can’t recall a more gutless and insipid performance than the one we put forward today.

Havelberg 14 goals? I was actually cheering him at the end it had become such a joke. 3 or 4 of his goals in the first quarter were from uncontested marks 30 metres out. Where the heck were the defenders? Good on him for kicking 14 and he looks quite a good prospect, but we applied absolutely NO pressure today and it was going inside 50 every second minute. In the latter stages of the match I was eagerly anticipating their 200th point. I mean what kind of ridiculous numbers are these?

As for Pfeiffer, he played everywhere again. Started in the centre, then moved to the HFF where he looked very dangerous. The ball didn’t come down there too often after half time so he was then switched to defence. He played quite well in defence in the last term but about 15 minutes into the last quarter he copped what looked like a corky. He tried to run it off and did so with reasonable success, but he went off not longer after. He would’ve had roughly 15 possessions.

As for Norwood, disgraceful.

McIntyre was Ok but I didn't notice him that much, first game back though so he will come good.

Gill was everywhere today, taking marks down back, intercepting passes in the middle.. he wasn't as electric as he normally is but he didn't spend as much time up forward as he normally does. He still did some great things though but he was close to taking a huge mark in the square but didnt hold it. Normally his kicking is a bit ordinary but that's when he's having a shot, a few times today he hit a team mate lace out. Good performance by the superstar.

RL ..what happened the 1st qtr? Saw the scoreboard at the Adelaide Oval and North were down by a few.

We led pretty early, Damon White kicked a freak goal from the boundary line but then we slammed the handbrake on, instead of releasing it which is what Jars wants. It got worse in the 2nd and we were about 6 goals down at one stage, but we came back luckily. We took the game far too easily and didn't chase or apply pressure, it looked like they didn't wanna be out there.

It is pretty common for North to do that against bottom teams. It was like the Bay game all over again.

Well I headed down to the Oval today and saw Glenelg give Sturt a football lesson. (Well sort of :p)

Douglas, Richard

Brilliant, sensational, inspirational, woody inducing. He was incredible. Spent most of the first 3/4 on the ball were he bossed the midfield. Plenty of clearances and pretty much ran riot. Even used his left foot on a number of occasions Drum. It's a good left foot too, it's about him getting the confidence to use it at AFL level, because he's very skilled on it.

In addition to this, he did the hard things that we've come to expect from the young lad. He tackled, he chased hard and he won a shitload of contested footy. He kicked 3 goals up to 3/4 time from the midfield, including a couple of special goals, where he would intercept, sprint away from an opponent and put it through. When he wants to use it, he's got pace to burn. But his best asset is obviously his agility, of which he displayed numerous times today. Danced around Sturt opponents with ease and either kicked goals himself or set up opportunities for his teammates.

Well, I was delighted with his game at 3/4 time, but even I wasn't prepared for Hurricane Douglas that hit with force in the final term.

He started in the middle, I think, but after a little while he took up a spot on the HFF. Well, Sturt proceeded to rattle on 3 quick ones and the margin was back to about 2 goals. Glenelg were in deep, looked like getting run over. Well then who stepped up? Yep, you guessed it Richard Douglas. He took it upon himself to take the team on his back and carry them over the line. He kicked 4 goals in the last quarter, including one from about 55 on the run and one from an absolute hanger.

He was exceptional, I haven't seen a performance like that in the SANFL from a young kid in a long time. He dominated the middle, he dominated the forward line, he dominated the game. Easily the best game I've seen him play and he'd be stiff not to get an AFC call up soon. Brilliant :thumbsu:

Sellar/Hinge to come.

well well well the mighty dogs kicked norwood off elizabeth oval today it was the biggiest win for the season and many more too came over the next 2 or more months. so who is going too stop the mighty dogs this season. :):cool::cool::thumbsu:

Douglas, Richard

Brilliant, sensational, inspirational, woody inducing. He was incredible. Spent most of the first 3/4 on the ball were he bossed the midfield. Plenty of clearances and pretty much ran riot. Even used his left foot on a number of occasions Drum. It's a good left foot too, it's about him getting the confidence to use it at AFL level, because he's very skilled on it.
Great report, cheers mate. I look forward to the others.

Douglas has got a left! :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hey rooster lad did u go too broady 2day i hope u had a good win 2day.cain norwood next week they really suck
:D

FFS stop the text talk.

Y dnt u jst rite out the ful wrds instd of txt tlk fkwit.

Its just as easy to right out the full words, and people will respect you a lot more.

That is an absolute burster of a game. :thumbsu:

Once this kid finds his inner belief at AFL level, he will be evry bit as good for us as VB and Knights. :thumbsu:
All 3 look quality don't they & for me Douglas is the classiest of them.

I'm certianly nowhere as concerned as I was a few years ago of the eventual retirement of our fab-4.

Even VB and Knights never played a SANFL game like that. WOW.

Great thing was, it was against a very good side, that had beaten Centrals, and for the most part it was a close game (until Douggie blew it open).

Certainly no minnow bashing.

Remove this Banner Ad

SANFL Round 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Back