SANFL Round 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure they said he had a cracker of a game on the radio this afternoon when they were talking to VB.

Thanks, just found this:

Jonathon Griffin (five kicks, seven handballs, five marks, 12 hit-outs)

Not sure that qualifies as a cracker of a game though!

Pretty sure they said he had a cracker of a game on the radio this afternoon when they were talking to VB.

Hilarious.

Earlier this year I also heard on the radio that Griff was one of the favourites for the Magarey.

We should just about look at trading him I reckon, especially if Moran continues to improve, chuck Dougie in as well.

Some great highlights there again. I love that the Crows do this for us.

Thoughts:

Cook: Looked really good. Not ready yet, but with another pre-season under his belt and some refinement of his kicking he could be a real gut-running line breaker. Can see him playing AFL for a significant time. One concern on his 5 minutes with Cook bit, he mentioned that he had yet to play in a win for South. That has to be tough!

Walker: Did as Walker does. Just too good for SANFL. I wonder if we have to accept that he is one of those laconic looking players (a bit like D Jarman). Even when he's putting the after burners on he looks to be taking a casual stroll!

Henderson: Looked ok again. He has something worth persisting with. I wonder if he'd be playing league regularly if he was at West, or norwood (South isn't even a question)?

Riley: Great to see a bit of him. A couple of thoughts. He plays a bit like I've seen in the NSW comps, pretty tough at it, some basic skills but without the refinement. Still, he looks ok. Has some real toughness about him (that first tackle was brutal) and generally didn't mind backing himself in. I'd like to get him over next year on the rookie list proper and give him a year in our system to see if he can make it. He could be that hard-nosed tough-nut midfielder we will be looking for.

Hilarious.

Earlier this year I also heard on the radio that Griff was one of the favourites for the Magarey.

We should just about look at trading him I reckon, especially if Moran continues to improve, chuck Dougie in as well.

IMO, it would be a huge mistake to trade Griffin. I believe he is a very good ruckman, still learning the trade. He's had an injury plagued year this year, I'd like to see him with a full pre-season and give him another shot.

IMO, it would be a huge mistake to trade Griffin. I believe he is a very good ruckman, still learning the trade. He's had an injury plagued year this year, I'd like to see him with a full pre-season and give him another shot.

Totally agree ........he has great "potential" :eek: .......and we forget that he's had some games where he has dominated at AFL

He's just entering a period where we should start getting a return on our investment

And ruckman are going to be scarce .....why else would 6-7 clubs show interest ........and if they all see value in him why do our supporters apparently not see the same potential :confused:

Loved the look of him. :thumbsu: As you said, was used sparingly but whenever he was on looked the goods. Had a tremendous first quarter and really got us back into the game after a slow start. Great leap, good second efforts, is quick and seems to read the play well. Only 17, too young to be drafted this year but I imagine he'll be hot property next year.
A quick search reveals that his name is yet to be mentioned on the Drafts and Trading board. If only there were a futures market in players, we could all make our millions by investing in Dan Gorringe stock.

The dude had played a grand total of 1 game of reserves football... last week. So from a background of virtually zero experience playing against grown men, he ran out there halfway through the first quarter, and just started winning the taps like it was the easiest thing in the world. Looked very good around the ground, too.

A quick search reveals that his name is yet to be mentioned on the Drafts and Trading board. If only there were a futures market in players, we could all make our millions by investing in Dan Gorringe stock.

The dude had played a grand total of 1 game of reserves football... last week. So from a background of virtually zero experience playing against grown men, he ran out there halfway through the first quarter, and just started winning the taps like it was the easiest thing in the world. Looked very good around the ground, too.

There was this tap in the 4th quarter that was pure finesse (a nice flick behind to an open Norwood player). Seemed to have really quick, clean hands and looked very composed at stoppages. Tempted to go to The Parade on Friday night for a second viewing. :thumbsu:

I uploaded these a few days back, thought I better post them before the lynching brigade sets their sites on me. :p
It's a special highlights package this week as for many of us it includes our very first glimpse of NSW Scholarship Player, Aidan Riley who made the trip over to play with the Sturt reserves.

[youtube]pdr8m8OwiXM[/youtube]
Crows in the SANFL - Round 20 - Part 1 [Widescreen]
(0:11) Myke Cook - South #35
(4:07) Ricky Henderson - Central District #20

[youtube]E7FuoNegAfU[/youtube]
Crows in the SANFL - Round 20 - Part 2 [Widescreen]
(0:00) Taylor Walker - Norwood #24
(3:58) Aidan Riley - Sturt #55

You're a gun as always TD :thumbsu:

Cook looks fantastically good in terms of hunting the ball and breaking/laying tackles and the like - I'd go as far as to say potentially elite - but his disposal still worries me. Turnovers absolutely murder you in AFL footy. Hopefully he works on that in the preseason. I'm an unashamed fan though :p

Hendo is just a mile too good for the ressies. He'll be a league mainstay next year, and probably will crack a game or two. Gee he's a beautiful kick. He'll have to watch that tackling a player the instant they look like playing on habit though, it'll hurt him in the AFL :eek:

Walker takes some beautiful marks here. I can't wait until he's able to turn that into AFL marks! :thumbsu:

I have to say, I really liked what I was seeing from Riley :thumbsu: Looks to have a decent turn of pace, some pretty natural footy sense, and loves taking the game on. His disposal by foot seems sound enough, and he seems to have great hands. Nice stuff!!

I know were more likely to rookie list him, but if we take Aiden Riley in the National Draft as a scholarship player, does that count as one of the three players we have to take?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cook looks fantastically good in terms of hunting the ball and breaking/laying tackles and the like - I'd go as far as to say potentially elite - but his disposal still worries me. Turnovers absolutely murder you in AFL footy. Hopefully he works on that in the preseason. I'm an unashamed fan though :p

Hendo is just a mile too good for the ressies. He'll be a league mainstay next year, and probably will crack a game or two. Gee he's a beautiful kick. He'll have to watch that tackling a player the instant they look like playing on habit though, it'll hurt him in the AFL :eek:

Walker takes some beautiful marks here. I can't wait until he's able to turn that into AFL marks! :thumbsu:

I have to say, I really liked what I was seeing from Riley :thumbsu: Looks to have a decent turn of pace, some pretty natural footy sense, and loves taking the game on. His disposal by foot seems sound enough, and he seems to have great hands. Nice stuff!!
I've been saying it for a while now, Cook has the potential to be an elite AFL midfielder. For sure his kicking needs a lot of work but there are so many outstanding attributes in his game. He's in my top 2-3 favourite prospects. :thumbsu: I loved that highlights package, breaking tackles, weaving though packs, kicking a nice running goal, being really unselfish and displaying good vision.

Hendo, boy he's got a nice kick! That goal he drilled from 50 was as smooth as anything. He occasionally shows his awesome pace too; when he takes off there's no catching him. A certainty to get another year, probably on the rookie list because we can still afford that luxury.

Walker, well I saw it first hand, he was terrific.

Riley looked good. Obviously lacks a little bit of polish and class but that will surely improve over time. I loved his attack on the contest and willingness to run and take them on, pleasantly surprised. :) We might have another nice pick-up courtesy of this system.

Gee Cook looked good, hes fast, good footy brain (crucial), good vision (like vince), his kicking didn't look as bad as it was once was, but he seems to drop it from really high up which is maybe the reason theres a few floaters and why he cant kick it as low as some players (reilly). If he gets his kicking up to a decent level, we will have a VERY good player on our hands. I still remember that mark against Collingwood Round One which could have won the game, then he shanks it... Still gonna be a player.

Really liked the looks of Reily here. It was good to see him play again. I have to say when i watched the NSW vs Tasmania game i barely noticed him but he looked to be doing some nice things out there (I imparticularly liked his aggression on the ball). We should definitely take him but the real question is rookie draft or national draft?

If we delist Jacky and Moss (re rookie both), therefore filling our rookie list I would be happy if we took him in the national draft.

It's a good question. I would assume so, however my mail is that the Crows will rookie-list him.

With everything thats been said about the draft it worries me if Rileys not deemed good enough for a last round pick in it.

I would of thought if we were going to pick him up it could save us using a pick on a player we don't really want.

I know were more likely to rookie list him, but if we take Aiden Riley in the National Draft as a scholarship player, does that count as one of the three players we have to take?
Yes, it would. Sydney took Craig Bird + 2 others a couple of years ago.

However, there are significant advantages to taking him as a rookie. As a rookie, he's virtually an extra player on our rookie list - NSW scholarship players who are promoted to the rookie list don't count towards the 8 rookies (6 as we have 2 veterans) that we're allowed to have.

However, there are significant advantages to taking him as a rookie. As a rookie, he's virtually an extra player on our rookie list - NSW scholarship players who are promoted to the rookie list don't count towards the 8 rookies (6 as we have 2 veterans) that we're allowed to have.
wow didn't know that, we should definitely rookie him then.

Cheers for that.

Sounds like the way to go if we don't expect him to play AFL next year.

We could perhaps get a 2nd round pick if we traded Griff. Or maybe a 3rd round pick if we threw in Douglas too.

Only kidding - I actually hope we keep both :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

SANFL Round 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Back