Status
Not open for further replies.

IDIG

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Discussion on midfielder prospects for 2010.

Idea taken from the DT board and seems to work well. Much better than just having player discussion imo.

I'll start the ball rolling, Chris Masten. Priced at $345k heading into his 3rd year which is generally regarded as the breakout year. Was hyped up last year and didn't really deliver and just looking at last year's scores doesn't seem to be overly efficient (dt to sc ratio). He is however highly regarded by the people at the eagles so will get every chance to get amongst it.

Me personally I have him ahead of Palmer, Burgoyne. Dalziell, McVeigh.

S.Burgoyne is one of my favret players and i am so excited he ended up at the hawks(Y)(Y)(Y)

S.Burgoyne - $386,100

a very skillfull player and with the hawks cluster should not be under as much pressure to get rid of the ball. ball efficenty should go up and wont get tagged every week that should help too. questions over his body though.

also i think J.Watson could reach the $600,000 mark this session being a skipper, they usally get more game time to rally the troops.

J.Watson - $541,000

Well I have Masten as well scored 89 on friday night so might be ready to make the step up. He hinted at it towards the end of last year and looked to be over his OP. I have him over the similarly priced options mentioned above.

Was deciding between the same 5 mid priced mids. Ended up going with Masten due to the injury concern of Palmer and Burgoyne, and rated him higher than Dalziell and McVeigh

From all reports Masten had a good intraclub match and then backed it up with a good NAB cup game.

Is starting 3 midfield rookies (Trengove, Martin, Morabito) too many/risky?

I think it could pay off. Has anybody had any success with this strategy in the past?

that's what i have in there at the moment but don't know if i''ll keep it. that's where i see the most value. I think it is very risky but might go with it.

it should be ok but your overall might take a beating cant see all 3 avraging high.

but who knows could pay off with the high scores you will get affter upgrading them.

A lot of risk there if you are going for the overall win or high overall rank. For League win I think that could be a very good stratagy.

If you start 3 midfield rookies then you will be able to upgrade another rookie in your backline or forward line so it could actually even things out. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Is starting 3 midfield rookies (Trengove, Martin, Morabito) too many/risky?

I think it could pay off. Has anybody had any success with this strategy in the past?

I think it's a good tactic. Last year I started with Rich, Otten and Dangerfield in the centre, allowing me to spend more elsewhere. Throughout the season they were down-traded to the likes of Beams/Zeibel/Anthony/Sidebottom when appropriate.

Saying that, at this stage of pre-season, only Trengove and Martin appear to be locks for the Palmer/Rich gun rookie midfielder position.

I've got a question of my own:

Selwood or Gibbs?

Selwood averaged 2-3 more ppg than Gibbs last season and as a result is slightly more expensive. However, does Selwood have much improvement left? Or will Gibbs overtake him this season?

Thoughts appreciated.

I think it's a good tactic. Last year I started with Rich, Otten and Dangerfield in the centre, allowing me to spend more elsewhere. Throughout the season they were down-traded to the likes of Beams/Zeibel/Anthony/Sidebottom when appropriate.

Saying that, at this stage of pre-season, only Trengove and Martin appear to be locks for the Palmer/Rich gun rookie midfielder position.

I've got a question of my own:

Selwood or Gibbs?

Selwood averaged 2-3 more ppg than Gibbs last season and as a result is slightly more expensive. However, does Selwood have much improvement left? Or will Gibbs overtake him this season?

Thoughts appreciated.

I think Gibbs has more upside at this stage, but am not convinced it will be reached. Selwood for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

apparently this pre-season selwood has gotten even bigger and is monster like. hes in a better side wont get tagged (gibbs does attract attention) and if he does hard to stop him seen as hes such an inside player. just as clean with disposal but more tackles/hard ball gets/contested possesions. selwood is a massive lock for my team

What is thoughts about Gibbs? Is he a good pick, considering he may get tagged tightly since Juddy is out for a little bit, or will he rise to the occasion and deliver huge scores this year? He is on my team right now, but what are thoughts?

What is thoughts about Gibbs? Is he a good pick, considering he may get tagged tightly since Juddy is out for a little bit, or will he rise to the occasion and deliver huge scores this year? He is on my team right now, but what are thoughts?

Think he'll deliver some big consistent scores but I'm not picking him due to what was mentioned above, he'll cop the hard tag for the first three weeks and I don't know how it'll affect his game.

What are peoples thoughts about Goodes (even though clearly youd pick him in the fwd line)? Every year I say to myself he cant put up the numbers he did last year, and every year he plays 22 and puts up big numbers consistently. Of course I have the dreaded feeling as soon as I bite the bullet and select him hes gonna give me 8 shit weeks and then do his knee. Anyone else having a good look at Goodes?

What are peoples thoughts about Goodes (even though clearly youd pick him in the fwd line)? Every year I say to myself he cant put up the numbers he did last year, and every year he plays 22 and puts up big numbers consistently. Of course I have the dreaded feeling as soon as I bite the bullet and select him hes gonna give me 8 shit weeks and then do his knee. Anyone else having a good look at Goodes?

Have had him in and out of my current team often so far and am thinking he might be a better upgrade target for my forward line when he has a drop in price. Starting price is just a little to high for me and I can use the extra cash to select some better quality rookies for my bench.

Have been looking at Luke Ball, he could be real value. Looking through the prospectus he always seems to average over 1 point per minute played over his last five seasons. His gametime was well down last season at 80 minutes and he averaged 86. If Mick plays him upwards of 100 minutes a match then a 100+ average is a strong possibility. Given Malthouse loves to rotate them so much that might be wishful thinking though as no Collingwood midfielders averaged over 100 minutes of gametime last season so its unlikely that trend will change this year.

Both Gibbs and Selwood are coming into their fourth season and should both be challenging for a top 6 overall mid score.

However Gibbs is a year younger than Selwood and has played in a less sucessful team. He shouldn't see much of a tag this year with Judd and Murhy next to him, plus a fit hadley and now mclean will allow him to stay outside the packs and get cleaner possies.

Not much been said about him at trainning.

I have niether and have gone with Mitchell and Watson

Just wouldnt have thought there was a need to risk a purchase such as Goodes with whats on offer in the forward line. Maybe a little bit of research and leg work on your part will highlight that to you.

if O'Keefe plays more midfiled this session like last year Goodes will probs play half forward-full forward, i can see him kicking 8 and gating 180 easy this year.
i think his price will rise this session with the change. (to about 660,000)
for me he will be the highest scoreing forward.

if O'Keefe plays more midfiled this session like last year Goodes will probs play half forward-full forward, i can see him kicking 8 and gating 180 easy this year.
i think his price will rise this session with the change. (to about 660,000)
for me he will be the highest scoreing forward.
I agree with these sentiments. Buddy and Goodes were the first two forwards I picked. I'm expecting Goodes to have a monstrous year. Sydney have recruited really well and I expect them to rack up some bigger scores than they have in recent years.

Am I stupid to be picking Goodes in my midfield?

I've gone for Sylvia in my forward line (who also can play as a mid), so by selecting Goodes, I've now got a player in my midfield who can be swapped into the forward line if needed.

I want Goodes in my team regardless. Is there any major reason why I shouldn't select him as a mid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back