Sedition

All Australian
Nov 23, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Cronulla Sharks
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...and-can-be-high/2008/09/11/1220857740007.html

A plan to demolish and replace the SCG's Bradman, M.A. Noble and Dally Messenger stands to boost seating by 2725 will cost $45,000 for each additional seat.

The Sydney Swans, who play most of their home games at the SCG, will lose seating capacity during the construction of the new facilities.

But the club's chief executive, Miles Baron-Hay, said he understood the development would not begin until after the 2010-11 Ashes series. "We have no confirmation that works will commence in 2009 and don't expect that they will," he said.

The plan also includes extending the area of play, the shortest in the Australian Football League competition, by three metres at the Paddington end. This will be in addition to the three metres added at the opposite end during the construction of the Trumper Stand, which opens later this year.

That is a big stand to remove and will affect Swans membership and crowds for a few years. A 50 000 seat stadium would be awsum as Telstra is the worst place in the world for watching Aussie Rules (cannot see the boundaries from most of it).

48K capacity and another 3m onto the playing surface at the Paddington end in addition to the recent extra 3m :thumbsu:

Will be ugly and perhaps financially restrictive but in 5-6 yrs it will be one of the premier arena's for footy.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...and-can-be-high/2008/09/11/1220857740007.html

A plan to demolish and replace the SCG's Bradman, M.A. Noble and Dally Messenger stands to boost seating by 2725 will cost $45,000 for each additional seat.

The Sydney Swans, who play most of their home games at the SCG, will lose seating capacity during the construction of the new facilities.

But the club's chief executive, Miles Baron-Hay, said he understood the development would not begin until after the 2010-11 Ashes series. "We have no confirmation that works will commence in 2009 and don't expect that they will," he said.

The plan also includes extending the area of play, the shortest in the Australian Football League competition, by three metres at the Paddington end. This will be in addition to the three metres added at the opposite end during the construction of the Trumper Stand, which opens later this year.

That is a big stand to remove and will affect Swans membership and crowds for a few years. A 50 000 seat stadium would be awsum as Telstra is the worst place in the world for watching Aussie Rules (cannot see the boundaries from most of it).

And why is it getting developed? and the field extended? surely cant be for the cricket and various rugby codes. Sounds like the SCG is starting to reap the same benefits as the MCG.

sounds good but i think they should increase the capacity further.

it is a huge cost to bear for the addition of only 3,000 extra seats.

i think they should just rebuild the stadium bit by bit to make it like the brewongle stand the entire way around with the members and the ladies stand as they are - for those unaware both stands are covered under the hertiage act and can't be demolished.

one thing though is that i have heard there is no garuantee the bradman stand will stay as the bradman stand.... redeveloping it is fine but there has to be a Bradman stand surely. I can't imagine the trust coming out and trying to persuad the masses they have found a more famous Australian sportsman to rename the new stand after....

Remember that the SCG trust is one of those old fogey "in clubs" that never seem to give a rats arse about footy. They base decisions on what is best for cricket so this is a good result for the game up here. If they choose 48K but the AFL and Swannies believe it could go more then its totally irrelevant. Get what you're given and in this case its pretty good anyway.

Brilliant place to watch a game coz you feel so close to the action...if we can tolerate the ugliness and interim lower crowd numbers we'll be laughing. MCG looked bad for yrs during the reno's..worth it tho.

Cant imagine them wanting to stuff with the name of the Bradman Stand.

Cant imagine them wanting to stuff with the name of the Bradman Stand.

neither could be a but according to my old man on the radio last week was one of the trust members and the interviewer asked him whether the name would still be the bradman stand and the response was "there are no garuantees"

would be an uproar if they changed the name.

IMHO cronnyism at at worst!

If they moved the out dated SCC members pavilion as a "hysterical relic" to any park ...Cenntenial or Domain... then they could increase by 5000 and save a lot of money and time:thumbsu:

It wont effect the swans membership by much. Well no more than the removal of the Hill and the Doug Walters stand. Most people that get into the MA Noble Stand and Bradman Stand are SCG Trust members and not Swan members. The crowd will be effected but it will be similar reduced capacity as building the current new stand. The Messenger stand only seats about 300 or 400 people as it was a bit of a fill in stand when they built it. But you get a bloody good view from the upper deck of this small stand.

It will probably mean two seasons are effected by reduced crowd capacity just like with the building of the Victor Trumper Stand. But they will do something like the MCG and Trumper Stand and have some capacity during the second year of construction.

Oh yeah, the extra 3 metres is a tick from me as well.

Most people that get into the MA Noble Stand and Bradman Stand are SCG Trust members and not Swan members.

Not true, the Swans are a very small drawcard for SCG members, the Swans sell memberships with seating in the MA Noble and Ladies stands and during Swans games they signficantly outnumber SCG Members in those stands. Those memberships will have be moved elsewhere during the development.

If they moved the out dated SCC members pavilion as a "hysterical relic" to any park ...Cenntenial or Domain... then they could increase by 5000 and save a lot of money and time

Very true, the SCG Trust represents everything that is wrong with NSW at the moment, beholden to a state of mind that sits in the 70's, not now.

Not true, the Swans are a very small drawcard for SCG members, the Swans sell memberships with seating in the MA Noble and Ladies stands and during Swans games they signficantly outnumber SCG Members in those stands. Those memberships will have be moved elsewhere during the development.

I thought that only the top deck of the MA Noble stand was available to Swans members. That's what I remember from some membership stuff they sent me in 2005. Anyway, how many swans members would there be in the total area covered by Ladies stand + MA Noble stand + Bradman stand?? I assume you can get about 12,000 into that area in total.

I think they will rebuild one stand at a time, so say all the Ladies stand members will be moved to the other two stands in the SCG trust area and other areas for one season and the same sort of thing the following year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very true, the SCG Trust represents everything that is wrong with NSW at the moment, beholden to a state of mind that sits in the 70's, not now.
haha **** off, there is no way they will be moved and no way they should be. They are great stands manage to have the SCG as a blance of the old class and the new facilities.

as much as i luv my swans i don't think us afl fagz should come in and poo around with the stadium that has 100 yrs cricket and mungo histry. it is iall about the crickt at this place and us afl people shopuld let bygones be bygones without meaning to trust anyone other than the bosses.

Just had a re look at the diagram and the Ladies stand wont be touched.

gr_scg_wideweb__470x293,0.jpg

there was once 78000 in trees and roofs on the scg for a legue game bak in the early 60s 1969 i think it waz. i think swanz will get this crowd in a few more years when the new afl teem cums over to play in the local darby.

Remove this Banner Ad

SCG - re re development

Remove this Banner Ad

Back