Mar 31, 2004
Kizmiaz
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
BOMBERS & Newton Heath!
Press Conference this morning 10.15am

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25945501-19742,00.html

EXCLUSIVE: ESSENDON star Scott Lucas is expected to announce his retirement at a press conference this morning.

Lucas has been one of Essendon's loyal servants, playing 270 games for the club, but has been out of the senior side for the last fortnight.

He had hoped to be elevated back into the seniors late in the year, but it had increasingly apparent that was not about to occur.

It is believed he was unwilling to play again in the VFL to push his cause.

While it has been reported he was suffering knee soreness, there is confusion over whether he was simply dropped two weeks ago.

With Essendon in finals calculations, it would be likely the retirement will be effective immediate.

But coach Matthew Knights will make an announcement this morning at 10.15am, where the picture will become clearer.

Knights is pushing hard with his young talls, including Cale Hooker, Tayte Pears, Michael Hurley, and Paddy Ryder.

Lucas has had an amazing 14-year career, playing in Essendon's 2000 premiership and kicking four goals in the 2001 premiership loss.

Well Done Champion! :thumbsu:

Not a fan of players pulling the pin immediately instead of seeing out the year, especially when your side's in the eight and you might be needed if the club gets more injuries.

Pretty poor that he refuses to play VFL to at least serve out the year as a back-up and/or mentor to the many young talls at Essendon.

That said, he's had a good career over a long time.

Scott Lucas Retirement

I think we all new it was coming, Essendon has announced a press conference where it is expected to announce the retirement of Scott Lucas.

I loved Scott Lucas throughout his career, and am sad to see him go.
He was much maligned and probably very under rated at times throughout his career, both from opposition fans and even our own fans. But there is no doubting what a champion he was.

Conrats on a fantastic career Scotty. Will miss those big left foot bombs, and the the opposition who inexplicably continued to let you swing ontoit.

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Not a fan of players pulling the pin immediately instead of seeing out the year, especially when your side's in the eight and you might be needed if the club gets more injuries.

Pretty poor that he refuses to play VFL to at least serve out the year as a back-up and/or mentor to the many young talls at Essendon.

Congrats on a great and often unfairly maligned career Scotty. A fantastic servant of the EFC. :thumbsu:

his body is shot champ.

You just can't resist a dig can you you ****in worm.

I've said it many times in the past about many players.

Its not an anti Essendon thing.

I'm not a big fan of players retiring midseason unless injury forces the issue. Even if you are forced to sweat it out in the Reserves you can still make a contribution to the team.

i've said it many times in the past about many players.

Its not an anti essendon thing.

I'm not a big fan of players retiring midseason unless injury forces the issue. Even if you are forced to sweat it out in the reserves you can still make a contribution to the team.
body
is
s.h.o.t

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Essendon manage to beat Freo this week (tough ask over at Suby for us) and Brisbane should beat Port at the Gabba then the final 8 is set.

Means we can play Lucas against Hawthorn in round 22. If things fall our way this weekend, he should play.

Deserves a farewell game, was a good player for a long time but after watching the way he was moving on ANZAC day I made the comment that if he were a race horse you would put him down.

I would not want to get hidings every week at Bendigo just to try and claw my way back, good decision to hang em up.

Timmy and McDaicos - 2 serial trolls on anything to do with Essendon.

They would of preferred Scott Lucas to have bowed out due to a debilitating injury/illness or something similar. Not much respect by either, but no real surprises - loved playing the Pies over the years.

This decision is probably 12 months too late for my liking, but the right one has eventually been made. His 4 goals in the 2001 Grand Final (especially the massive bomb from 60m on the boundary line just before HT), 6 goals against Collingwood on his return from a broken leg on Anzac Day in 2000 and his 7-goal final quarter to drag us back from the dead against the Eagles in 2007 were personal highlights.

Gumbleton, step up to the plate in 2010, please.

I have never seen an Essendon player in all my time perform well over long periods of time and consistently be slagged off by every opposition supporter going around. 270 games, somewhere around 500 goals, played probably half of those games in defence. Well done big fella, I know I'll miss seeing that magic left foot of yours causing havic from well beyond 50.

What are we going to do if Lucas retires and Fletcher follows in the next year or so, who is gunna kick the goal from inside the centre square when we need one to cheer us up??

Richo starred last year, a year on hardly any games, well into his 30's, he is not exactly the future of the club. A case can be made that he should retire. A case can be made he should try and get one more season out of himself.

But he is hardly starred this year and at age 34, the age thing is more relevant than what he did over a year ago.

So i'm assuming you didn't watch him at all this season before getting injured? He picked up where he left off last season. Along with Cousins he is still the best player on Richmonds list. Until he shows signs that he is not up to it i will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Scott Lucas showed these signs last season and probably should have pulled the pin at the end of last season.

I don't subscribe to the theory that a player is past it when he hits the wrong side of 30. Take a look at Dustin Fletcher. Still has the same speed he had 12 years ago and looks like he could play another 4 years.

Champion player and seems like a good bloke.

You can understand that Essendon can't give him a final game if they are pushing for finals. I'm sure they will do the right thing by him.

So i'm assuming you didn't watch him at all this season before getting injured? He picked up where he left off last season. Along with Cousins he is still the best player on Richmonds list. Until he shows signs that he is not up to it i will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Scott Lucas showed these signs last season and probably should have pulled the pin at the end of last season.

I don't subscribe to the theory that a player is past it when he hits the wrong side of 30. Take a look at Dustin Fletcher. Still has the same speed he had 12 years ago and looks like he could play another 4 years.

You might not subscribe to it, its what the players body, each year after age 30 subscribes to, that counts. The very reason Richo is not playing this year is perhaps due to the age factor.

Last year at age 33 is irrelavant. If he was 23, then yes he has upcoming potential and relevance to a side rebuilding. At age 34 and to be 35 next season, what he did 2 seasons back really has little relevance. He might put in another cameo performance ala 2008, he might also put in a 2009 year of absence. Clubs cannot afford to make decisions on 35 yo's based on what he did 2 years back. You don't get any less injury prone as you get older. And this year proved that regarding him.

If he plays good luck to him, I think we all like to see Richo out there, but if I was making a long term business decision about rebuilding and list development, I'd say thanks, but no thanks.

Scott Lucas is a bit younger and still showed enough after coming back last year after injury that he could assist a side on the periphery of the 8. The same could have been said of Richo coming in to this year, last years form great, a team on the periphery of the 8, but it cant be said for Richo and Richmond going into next year.

Lucas>Rocca, and he wasnt even our main forward!

One of my favourite players, loved watching him 05/06 when we were shit and he would load up from a long way out to boot goals, 67 that season i believe. Win against Collingwood stands out as a top game

One of the best sights in football over the last decade is...

Lucas from 55m out on the left. GOAL!!!

(Still holds the record for that stupid super goal thing in the NAB Cup)

Premiership player, hatfuls of goals and won a b & f at CHB.

Respect.

You might not subscribe to it, its what the players body, each year after age 30 subscribes to, that counts. The very reason Richo is not playing this year is perhaps due to the age factor.

Last year at age 33 is irrelavant. If he was 23, then yes he has upcoming potential and relevance to a side rebuilding. At age 34 and to be 35 next season, what he did 2 seasons back really has little relevance. He might put in another cameo performance ala 2008, he might also put in a 2009 year of absence. Clubs cannot afford to make decisions on 35 yo's based on what he did 2 years back. You don't get any less injury prone as you get older. And this year proved that regarding him.

If he plays good luck to him, I think we all like to see Richo out there, but if I was making a long term business decision about rebuilding and list development, I'd say thanks, but no thanks.

Scott Lucas is a bit younger and still showed enough after coming back last year after injury that he could assist a side on the periphery of the 8. The same could have been said of Richo coming in to this year, last years form great, a team on the periphery of the 8, but it cant be said for Richo and Richmond going into next year.

You do realise that he has already been told that he has a spot on the list next season?

Disagree re lucas also and i think i'm in a far better position on this one. Lucas did not show enough to suggest that he would assist the team this season. Most people that watched him closely agreed that it would be highly unlikely that he would have any effect this season whilst others were just living in hope that he would recapture some of his old form.

He has been an exceptional player for Essendon and from all reports has been a great mentor to the young guys aswell. Gonna miss yelling at him to have a shot from 70m out.

Was the right decision though, hopefully a lap of honour in Round 22 at the G.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott Lucas To Hang Up Boots!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back