Scott Thompson, top 10 midfielder in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolute man beast, I have a total man crush on Scott Thompson.

Every game he plays I remember that he was a Melbourne player with a wistful sigh.

Among the top 10 .. as of right now, i would have it

Swan
Juddy
GAJ
Mitchell
Pendles
Thompson
Selwood
Boyd
Murphy
Daisy
-----------
and the rest in no particular order
Jobe
Priddis
Rockliff
Dal Santo
Redden
Goodes
Corey
Chappy
Bolton
Black
Bartel
Harvey
Fyfe
Gibbs
Griffen

He is a similar player to Boyd. Both find it a lot but aren't very damaging. A good player yes, a great player maybe, a top 10 midfielder in the AFL lol not a chance.

Disagree, there was a passage of play in the third quarter against brissy on the weekend where he just bullocked a contested wall of humanity out of the way, cleared the ball beautifully under huge pressure from the contest and had a resulting goal. Turned the momentum that did.

I've always rated Scott Thompson, he's quite easily the Crows' best player, is always working hard and putting in 110% effort and I wish we had him :(

I wouldn't say he's in the top 10 midfielders in the comp though. That's a ridiculously huge call.

I'd pick him atm over Pendlebury and think he's currently better but naturally Pendles is covered a lot more over the media and noticed more and has 3-5 stars around him. Thompson's done it all in a fairly average side. Pendlebury may be better at his peak (if he hasn't made it!) bur i think Thommos had a better year.

I'd pick him atm over Pendlebury and think he's currently better but naturally Pendles is covered a lot more over the media and noticed more and has 3-5 stars around him. Thompson's done it all in a fairly average side. Pendlebury may be better at his peak (if he hasn't made it!) bur i think Thommos had a better year.
oh boy......................
attachment.php

Good player, but where does he fit on this list: Barlow, Bartel, Black, Boyd, Chapman, Cooney, Cross, Dal Santo, GAblett, Goddard, Griffen, Harvey, Hayes, Hill, Hodge, Judd, Mitchell, Montagna, Mundy, Murphy, Pendles, Selwood, Swan, Watson...

Bolded are the players he's had better years for numerous reasons. Boyd, Dal Santo 50/50 as well. Maybe the O.P mean top 10 for this year? Which is correct.

Also why did you include Hill in that list? Do you mean Fyfe?

Absolute gun. We should have got him when he came home too, he's a Port boy :D

I think he's around the top 10 anyway. I think you'd struggle to name 10 midfielders who are head and shoulders above him. He'd be in the mix. I'd be interested to see someone's list of the top 10 midfielders in the comp.

In 2011:
10. Swan or Moloney
9. Watson
(8.Thompson
7.Goodes
6. Ablett
5. Pendlebury)
4. Murphy
3.Thomas
2. Dal Santo
1. Judd

I'm sure I missed someone ;). Ones in bracket on par imo but would actually have to have Pendlebury due to Collingwoods success.

Good player, but where does he fit on this list: Barlow, Bartel, Black, Boyd, Chapman, Cooney, Cross, Dal Santo, GAblett, Goddard, Griffen, Harvey, Hayes, Hill, Hodge, Judd, Mitchell, Montagna, Mundy, Murphy, Pendles, Selwood,Swan, Watson...
I'd take the bolded players in a flash and Swan, Watson, Dal Santo and Mundy I'd debate about all day long. The rest I'd rather Thompson. However with Selwood missing games, Goddard and Swan having flat patches and Hayes out injured you can easily make a case for Thompson as a top 10 mid in the game.

Obviously Black and Harvey better at their best, but not now. Same goes for Cooney, who is very hard to rate due to his knee problems.

The Crows probably haven't won enough games for Thompson to poll the votes needed to win the Brownlow, but he'd be leading the Crows B&F by an absolute street right now, as he's been among their best players in all but maybe two or three games this year. Definitely among the top 10-15 midfielders in the league in 2011.

Rate Thompson very highly, has had a terrific season in a very average side with next to no help in the midfield. Yes I would have him in my top 10 midfielders of 2011.

In no order

Judd
Ablett
Pendlebury
Dal Santo
Mitchell
Thompson
Swan
Murphy
Boyd
Selwood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good player, but where does he fit on this list: Barlow, Bartel, Black, Boyd, Chapman, Cooney, Cross, Dal Santo, GAblett, Goddard, Griffen, Harvey, Hayes, Hill, Hodge, Judd, Mitchell, Montagna, Mundy, Murphy, Pendles, Selwood, Swan, Watson...

1. Judd
2. Ablett
3. Mitchell
4. Pendelbury
5. Selwood
6. Murphy
7. Thompson
8. Swan
9. Watson
10 Bartel

I am remaining unbiased by saying No, not a top ten Mid.

Top 20, yes. Love the boy but top 10.... little shakey on that. :(

The Crows probably haven't won enough games for Thompson to poll the votes needed to win the Brownlow, but he'd be leading the Crows B&F by an absolute street right now, as he's been among their best players in all but maybe two or three games this year. Definitely among the top 10-15 midfielders in the league in 2011.

Get on him for a place. Umps love him.

Consistently polls best for Adelaide each year, maybe get him in a multi as Adelaide's highest poller and add some value to some bets

I wouldn't call him top 10 overall, but he would scrape in this year on form

He was immense yesterday, 38 possies, 7 tackles and 10 clearances :thumbsu: Had him for DT all year and loving it

Pendlebury will most likely finish in the top five in the brownlow. His foot skills are also quite a large distance ahead. There's playing in a better team and then there's just being a better player.

At least two posters have labeled Murphy behind Thompson. This is ridiculous. Firstly, Murphy is younger, a better kick and will probably be in the top two for the brownlow. For those who don't rate the brownlow, Murphy leads Thomspon in pretty much every award. Again, there's playing in a better team and then there's just being a better player.

And while he's had an excellent season, I think his team has lost too many times to place. Especially given there's players like Judd, Murphy, Pendlebury Mitchell and others who have had great seasons. I do think he's in the top 10-15 midfielders though.

Dunno if he is top 10 but he is a very important player for the Crows. Has tried single handedly to drag the Crows over to a win. Gun player no doubt.

I can see him taking 3 votes in five of our six wins, plus there's a good argument for him to poll 2 votes in our losses to Brisbane, Collingwood and Essendon, but that's not going to be enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott Thompson, top 10 midfielder in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back