Autopsy Season 2017 - "St Kilda v Melbourne Rd 21 2017"

Remove this Banner Ad

McCartin & Goddard have been really unlucky with their injuries. Be interesting to see how far they develop knowing the early phase it out of the way. Could take Goddard years to get up to standard after being out of action for so long. Those two players were the players we really hoped/needed to get AFL games to develop, as they take longer than the smaller players. Brisbane and Carlton have been lucky in that respect.

Possibly the most disappointed I've been for years. That first quarter was pathetic- not even in the contest.

The stats may say we're a better team than last year but the development is in reality so minimal. I just hope the club doesn't have its head in the sand and makes changes.

Development isn't a straightline but in the aggregate you need to be moving forward. We have stagnated.

Now I have calmed down we were in conversation for finals with Riewoldt struggling to look AFL standard at times, Joey injured, Armo not playing, Dempster gone before the start of the season and Jack Steven looking a shadow of himself. If you said we would still be close with that lot I would have thought you were an idiot.

We are in transition as the old best 22 is given a huge shake up. Should have made a better effort of yesterday and were comical for one quarter but we should probably just suck it up and hope we go further next season.

McCartin & Goddard have been really unlucky with their injuries. Be interesting to see how far they develop knowing the early phase it out of the way. Could take Goddard years to get up to standard after being out of action for so long. Those two players were the players we really hoped/needed to get AFL games to develop, as they take longer than the smaller players. Brisbane and Carlton have been lucky in that respect.

I reckon Paddy will be ready to pop next year.
Goddard is a Who Knows proposition with so much time out, be interesting to look at other young talls with similar history, see how they've fared first full season back in.

Yes Roberton has improved, I forgot to list him but he's really worried me the last few games when the pressure has been high he has just turned it over.
Steele wasn't with us last year and Dunstan has been dropped three times and is averaging the same numbers as he was 4 years ago. His last few games have been promising though.
I just want to see some real development from Gresham, Dunstan, Acres, Lonie, Long, Goddard, Webster, White, McCartin, McKenzie, Rice. Without at least most of those players developing it won't matter who we trade in.
Gresham, Acres, Dunstan, Webster and White have all developed in my opinion. McCartin and Goddard have been injured. Rice would have debuted but is injured. DMac Lonie and Long have had disappointing years.

Not all players develop like Clayton Oliver. I've seen enough from most of these guys to say they are going to be good AFL players. Some possobly great.

This week we should drop Bruce, put Mav in to get his ankle done(if rumours are true he is sore).
Bring in Battle/Marshall & Special Fried for last couple of games. Also try some guys in different spots. EG: Acres on ball, JC up front, Bruce down back if he still plays

Any other suggestions on who could be tried?

I would be keeping Bruce in the team, I actually think he has had a decent last month and TBH we need to keep him in the side to get him ready to burden the No1 FWD target position for next year.
Hopefully that means Roo gets the 3rd defender and can kick a couple of bags to see out his legendary career.

I would be keeping Bruce in the team, I actually think he has had a decent last month and TBH we need to keep him in the side to get him ready to burden the No1 FWD target position for next year.
Hopefully that means Roo gets the 3rd defender and can kick a couple of bags to see out his legendary career.
I see your point, but disagree that he will be no.1 target next year. I see Bruce playing as a high CHF and Paddy as our FF target inside 50 with Membrey. Paddy is a really good set shot too, this may take a bit of experience to shine through

Why because it was s obvious that in the first quarter we needed someone who could actually excecute their skills under pressure on the ball on the weekend. Why does Jack have to be playing exclusively as a mid sized forward. To me it seems so obvious that the move young guys we can get through midfield the better placed we will be. Hawthorn and Sydney have and were doing it when they were at there best. We have guys like Sinclair, Acres, Gresham, Billings, Acres, Lonie, who all add something different to our midfield and specifically centre clearances but never ever get the opportunity except for Gresh on the odd occasion. I'm not saying that any of them have to be permantly in the midfield but be able to have more guys who are dynamic run start at the square gives us and the coaching staff so much flexibility. It makes us harder to coch aginst in the midfield and gives up more options if things are going wrong. Which is why it kills me when we are getting belted and richo maybe gives some of those guys listed mainly Gresh 5 minutes on the ball.

Its my biggest crititism of Richo is that he does not allow young players to ocme in straight away and flourish which is why even if we had gotten Bontempeli or Merret there is no way they would be at the same level because they would be stuck in the forward line never having had the opportunity to play on the ball.
If only it was that simple...

Couldn't post yesterday due to bitter disappointment. That first quarter was beyond putrid in terms of skills.

I really hope we get kelly. Think he will help others out and make them better.

I also hope that our pre season focuses heavily on skills and goal kicking.

We have probably lost 4 games this year from poor execution. Half those and we play finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have definitely improved this year, despite what the media are saying.

Last year, most of the time we were in games because of Stuv and Riewoldt. If they didn't have great games, we struggled and had no one who could step up and pull the team along.

This year, we have won games because of the next generation, not because Riewoldt turned back the clock or because Stuv got off the chain. We have seen players like Ross, Billings, Steele, Roberton, Carlisle, Dunstan, Sinclair and Billy take the responsibility and try to turn the game. Their improvement is an indicator that we have improved as a team and a club.

We have really lacked leadership at times this year but our core at times has been inexperienced. I feel we are started to see new leaders emerge through them trying to take the games into their hands - e.g. Dunstan and his goal kicking in big moments over the past month, Billy has grown and been great trying to direct the midfield, Billings standing up in big moments and demanding the ball. Without Nick/Joey around and another preseason, these players step into the hole left as it is easier to do that when those senior boys are no longer around.

Not very well though ;)

Did he play yesterday?
Honestly...he's Dusty 2011. Has games where he just goes AWOL.

Ross is a jet.

Billings is our best player, that's evident.
In terms of ability and his skill level - his conversion is obviously a problem but this guy is the key for our side going forward.

Dunstan has impressed of late, but for an in and under mid we are desperate for consistency.

I'm a little funny with Ross - I love his work in the contest but when Steven is getting tagged and we lack polish - he's the guy not getting attention and we just need him to be cleaner with it.

*sigh* So, here goes... Bad first.

I've never been one to turn a game off, but at quarter-time yesterday I was as close as I've ever been to doing so.

I was horrified by everything in that half-hour. The disposal. The turnovers. Their spread. It was exactly what they did to us after quarter-time in Round 1. "Have we learned nothing?!"

The switching, the corridor being wide open to roll through, the uncontested spot-up targets inside Melbourne's F50. "WHO THE **** IS PLAYING ON HARMES?? WE'RE GETTING FLOGGED BY JAMES ******* HARMES!!"

Even when we got it back to a one-kick game, there remained a bizarre feeling of inevitability about the result. Maybe that was just leftover anguish and disappointment at the first quarter and a bit, but my belief was shot. That sucked.

But...

We did fight. We did scrap. We gave ourselves a chance despite all what we dished up early. Yeah yeah, "but they dropped off etc etc" but we kept at it. That has to count for something- not much, but something.

Loved JB's game despite the obvious. Big Billy is really coming on and still has plenty of scope for improvement. Stuv showed some glimpses rarely seen this year. A full preseason into Steele and the kid will be flying.

Barring the 0.0056% chance we fall into the eight from here, I can now make plans to be there in Round 23 and see my favourite Saint wear the RW&B for one last time in the flesh. That will be a special day.

God help me we better win next week.

We have definitely improved this year, despite what the media are saying.

Last year, most of the time we were in games because of Stuv and Riewoldt. If they didn't have great games, we struggled and had no one who could step up and pull the team along.

This year, we have won games because of the next generation, not because Riewoldt turned back the clock or because Stuv got off the chain. We have seen players like Ross, Billings, Steele, Roberton, Carlisle, Dunstan, Sinclair and Billy take the responsibility and try to turn the game. Their improvement is an indicator that we have improved as a team and a club.

We have really lacked leadership at times this year but our core at times has been inexperienced. I feel we are started to see new leaders emerge through them trying to take the games into their hands - e.g. Dunstan and his goal kicking in big moments over the past month, Billy has grown and been great trying to direct the midfield, Billings standing up in big moments and demanding the ball. Without Nick/Joey around and another preseason, these players step into the hole left as it is easier to do that when those senior boys are no longer around.

My advice? Ignore the media because we will never win with them.

On the one hand the Saints rely so much on them and will really, really drop off when Roo and Joey leave.

On the other hand, because we don't make finals (with both of the former past their best)... never mind the fact that we are still pretty much on par with last year... we are not up to scratch.
Give me a break.

The on-field leadership is a concern. Gears does all then brave things, but we've lacked a tactical playing leader at several crucial moments this year and it costs us. Not just crucial moments either, general on-field coaching from the Captain has been lacking. Gears was mic'd up one week and although vocal, it was very much encouragement/motivational based, rather than directional. Stark difference to a Hodge, who was also mic'd.

What do they do about this?

Develop Geary or pull the trigger early on a replacement (Eg Newnes)?

Is there even a suitable type? Is Newnes cut from a similar cloth to gears..? Who's the current footy brain, I know Roo and Joey etc did a fair bit of that...

We need to recruit 27+ type of players with leadership qualities Rockliff fits the bill he needs to be a priority.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Season 2017 - "St Kilda v Melbourne Rd 21 2017"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back